Factorio Design Issues

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Factorio Design Issues

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

obuw wrote:I agree with pretty much everything you say about combat. It's a shame that the devs don't actually want this to be a fun combat game like Crimsonland, they want to focus on the automated defense aspect. But it's their choice and we have no choice but to respect that.
More accurately they want you to focus on the factory. It's Factorio, not Defendio or Survivio.
obuw wrote:Oh, as for vehicles becoming obsolete, mods can help with that too. For instance bob's mods have mk2-mk3 tanks, and vehicle equipment for both cars and tanks (putting a shield on a car makes trees much less annoying).
Bob's stuff is designed to scale the same way as the base game. This means the vanilla tank vs Big Biters is about as effective as his MK3 tank vs his late game biters. Personally I would prefer all that effort mining, refining and researching allow me to steamroll over whatever lays in my path (thinking along the lines of the Baneblade).
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by obuw »

Deadly-Bagel wrote: More accurately they want you to focus on the factory. It's Factorio, not Defendio or Survivio.
It's ok, they can focus on whatever they would like, it's their game of course. It's great that there are enemies, turrets, vehicles and all that in the game already, so we can mod the game to utilize its untapped potential and enjoy it the way we want. Personally my reason for making these suggestions is to help them improve the combat, because I feel that with a better combat system in vanilla, the game would attract an even wider playerbase. Of course that is just my opinion.

Deadly-Bagel wrote: Bob's stuff is designed to scale the same way as the base game. This means the vanilla tank vs Big Biters is about as effective as his MK3 tank vs his late game biters. Personally I would prefer all that effort mining, refining and researching allow me to steamroll over whatever lays in my path (thinking along the lines of the Baneblade).
Bob's vehicles can be used all the way in the endgame thanks to vehicle equipment, but a power armor is usually sufficient in most cases. Of course a baneblade would be pretty awesome. :P

Fun thing about the tanks is that the laser defenses in your suit can still work while inside the tank, so you can just throw away all the shields and load up on tons of laser defense, then get in the tank for protection. With bob's mods, you can then put even more laser defenses in the tank and rely on a personal roboport for repairs, or put some shields to protect the tank while your power armor's laser defenses rip the biters to shreds.
Obuw's Warfare - Combat improvements

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Except they don't rip the biters to shreds, not the hordes of them that are inevitably present by that point in the game anyway.

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by obuw »

Are we talking bob's mods or vanilla here?

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Both lol

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by obuw »

Well my memory is hazy from the fact I usually play with my mod also adjusting things, but iirc bob's mk6 lasers do pretty insane damage. You just walk and everything gets melted?

Return to “Balancing”