portable solar panels

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: portable solar panels

Post by Frightning »

BlakeMW wrote:It's actually possible to run an exoskeleton from PA1 with PSPs - the exoskeleton requires 200kW but only while moving and you can definitely fit 20PSPs and some batteries in PA1 together with some other useful things. At least with my playstyle 200kW is plenty of power to run both the exoskeleton and roboports. It's actually a little perplexing to me that some seem to have problems trying to use such setups, I guess some players might spend a lot more time running? Or maybe a psychological aversion against building enough PSPs because they are ultimately discarded? THe most forgiving interpretation I can come up with (besides refusing to even try using PSPs having previously decided they aren't good) is players using RSO which means dramatically longer running distances, and dramatically more work building railroads etc, altough that could hardly be a problem with the vanilla game balance - which I find to be nearly perfect.

Setups I've found to be very successful include Modular Armor with 3x Roboport and 11x PSP, and PA1 with 1x Exo, 3x Roboport, 2x Battery and 25x PSP. The PA1 version is hardly even improved by adding a Fusion Reactor, because 250kW during the daytime appears to be more than enough to run 1 exo and 3 roboports, and a fusion reactor provides more power but you can't fit any additional equipment.
My setup is combat oriented, Modular armor with 1xNightvision, 3xShield mk1, 2xBattery mk1, and 5x PSPs. The 3x shields are important for surviving being volley-fired by a half-dozen worms, so those have to stay, I could ditch the NV but it's really handy when fighting at night, and the batteries are important for having enough energy reserves that my shields will actually last long enough to kill a few bases, so those can't go either. I've been dealing with the biters (in an all default settings game) via extreme prejudice: instead of having built a defense wall, I've simply been removing all nests from within my pollution cloud, but since expansion is on, I have to regularly patrol my pollution border and exterminate any new nests promptly. This is why PSPs are proving lacking: the downtime is such that I have new nests showing up before I've managed to recharge my batteries fully (thankfully I've got the Tank now, and have been enjoying how awesome it is now). If PSPs had 2-3 times their current power generation, I would be able to bounce back plenty quick enough energy wise and be able to keep on top of things just fine, even without the tank, but as it is, I would be struggling to keep the biters under control this way without the help of my Tank (I am about 40 hours in now, btw, and expansion rate rises quite notably as biters evolve; I am currently seeing a decent number of Big biters and spitters mixed with Medium biters and spitters in bases, so I estimate evolution factor is probably around 0.75-0.8 atm).

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

PacifyerGrey wrote:I think the only thing we are really missing is the ability to charge personal batteries/roboports from main base power grid.
Sure thing I still think that PSP should produce at least twice as much power.
Oh yeah, totally. Why can't I plug my personal roboport into the grid when I'm near it?

Saunis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Saunis »

I hope you guys can fix this "gap" in 0.17...

Maybe boos PSP or make new item for PSP /Fusion.

And for late game, Fusion is littlebit out powered... But It's not huge problem.
It's only matters when you build something big in fresh new area and there's no robonetwork nearby.
(example, you make your tracks looks nicer, cover them with bricks / concrete)

Return to “Balancing”