Please use Stone in more recipies

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Please use Stone in more recipies

Post by hyspeed »

Hi,

I would like to see stone be required more.

I have over 1,000 hours of play and I understand the goal for keeping it simple for newer players. I also realize that what I will suggest would cause graphics rework.

- Yellow belt: 1 stone
- Red belt: 1 brick
- Blue belt: 1 concrete

- Large Power Pole: 4 concrete

- Yellow assembler: x? concrete

In a recent play through, I used less than 1 patch of stone - and I used a lot of colored concrete. However, I don't use walls.

thanks
jon

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Please use Stone in more recipies

Post by steinio »

Well real belts don't use stone.

If you add a third ingredient to the yellow belt you will need blue assemblers to make them.

This will be frustrating in the early stage of the game.

Just pave your map with concrete :)

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved to balancing.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

If you use walls and concrete you'll get through it pretty quickly. Trying to balance stone for games that don't utilise walls will just make it hell for everyone else.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'm all for more usage of stone.
Stone in belts don't make sense though.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Stone patches are like a real pest on the map, even with low settings and after paving my entire factory it still stockpiles in my storage facility because there is pretty much no continous use... It's always been something that irked me a little bit. So yeah, I would also be for more usage scenarios.

Though like others mentioned... in belts they don't make much of a sense.

I know a scenario where concrete could be used in mass... In the upcoming Military Research Packs they could use Walls or plain Concrete as well or instead of one of the other proposed things. That would ramp up the stone usage quite a lot, especially if there are infinite research upgrades.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

It's used in production science, 20 stone per pack.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:It's used in production science, 20 stone per pack.
Yeah, but only because of the Pumpjack... and people already complained about that so it probably won't stay Pump Jacks + Electric Furnaces. The Electric Engine Units though are fine.

Maybe they should just merge Production Research Packs with High-Tech Research packs... I mean really... what's so complex about copper cable... just throw Electric Engine Units in the recipe instead. But then again I really think that the recipes for the upcoming research packs are worth a topic/discussion on its own. Here is one I partioned in a while back: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28183 ... and which probably sparked the upcoming research change in the first place.

I think they should make a dedicated thread about it in the development proposal section... where people can post various balancing suggestions for the science pack recipes... and then pick one that seems reasonable or which is favored by most.

Unoxxis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Unoxxis »

For me a good sink for stone in "peaceful" games would be rails. To not hinder early game give rails two possible recipies - one with wooden ties and one modern with concrete tiles.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Filling in unneeded lakes with Landfill is actually a pretty potent stone sink, I had nearly 200k stone stored in my kilobase and have used it all mostly on landfill that I have been using to fill in a few lakes that used to be inside my 12500 panel solar grid (so I can use the space for moar solar+accum :D ), I've also been Concrete paving everything I am building on, but tbqh, the landfill is what really ate my stone reserves.

I too would like to see more options for Stone (I've thought that the game could have an Armoured gun turret that uses a regular gun turret and some steel and concrete and has more health (like 1200 instead of 400 or something); would be a high level red+green science research in the current state of things I'd imagine.

Edit: Another idea that occurred to me was having two tiers of Walls, rename the current walls to Stone walls or Brick walls and lower their stats a bit (particularly health), and then have more advanced Concrete walls (may steel reinforced concrete), which would have better stats than even current walls but costs a lot more per tile (e.g. 15 concrete(+5 steel maybe)...).

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Just make science for such upgrades like belts with stone... for faster transport, what ever.. so early game dont get fucked up, but in late game you have a reasn for stone...^^

BUT
srsly, its so annoying to get new coal, copper and iron outposts... now also stone? :(

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

MeduSalem wrote:I mean really... what's so complex about copper cable...
Copper cable is complex because it has a lower belt/bot density than its inputs. It just means that you will more likely see science pack builts more like a green circuit build then the current science pack builds you see now depending on number required/speed of processing. I realise it could end up being like red circuits, and if that's the case, then there is nothing complex about copper cable.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Using stone as a source of silicon for solar panels would be a huge and better resourse sink than landfilling lakes.
Unoxxis wrote:For me a good sink for stone in "peaceful" games would be rails. To not hinder early game give rails two possible recipies - one with wooden ties and one modern with concrete tiles.
Stone is for ballast. It seems that ties are made of iron sticks :D

Arcitos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Arcitos »

hitzu wrote:Using stone as a source of silicon for solar panels would be a huge and better resourse sink than landfilling lakes.
I experienced the same issue: You need millions of units of iron and copper ore but the quarries last forever if you dont want fill up every lake you find.

The silicon idea was an idea i have had in my head since then too. Therefore i created the "Simple Silicon" mod. Try it out if you like!

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

Landfills are a good sink of stone. And I have been using them a lot, to make perfectly straight shorelines for steam power plants

greep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by greep »

Well, just because something is there doesn't mean it needs to be used. There's tens of thousands of trees, but you aren't using all the wood, there's thousands of tiles of water surface, but you aren't building thousands of pumps. There's billions of tons of dirt and you aren't using any of it :D Stone just isn't used for much.

Heavier walls would be nice though, 350 health walls that can be shot over are pretty lame. Massive walls that can't would be interesting.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

U can use unlimited wood for energy. You need many many pumps for water for energy... so there is a use.

greep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by greep »

Right, but stones can be used to cover the world with walls, but nobody does. For the same reason that you don't build ridiculous amounts of pumps and commit mass deforestation with the intent to use it for fuel.

Like even with iron and copper, one of those two is going to be a limiting factor (iron usually) by a small amount, which essentially means a bunch of copper is just going to be skipped over. We don't need to then correct this and make an exact 50/50 average recipe usage of iron and copper. There's just better things to do.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

You dont get the problem, but i dont care.

Return to “Balancing”