Use for Fish

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
henke37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Use for Fish

Post by henke37 »

Of all the resources in Factorio, Fish is the least popular one. It is used in exactly zero recipes and can't be automatically mined. Many players don't even know that you can mine the fishes!

For those who don't know what they can be used for, they can be eaten. To regain some health. That's it.

So what can be done to make the Fish more useful/interesting?

Introducing some sort of hunger system is of dubious use and best left to mods. I just don't think it would be fun.

A setup to automatically eat them? Hard to give a convincing story for that one and largely redundant from shields anyway.

So what else is there to do with them?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Use for Fish

Post by steinio »

Build a biter trap.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Main issue from modding perspective is that there's no easy way to determine when fish is eaten.

As for catching them (wait about 60 seconds for the fish to appear in this GIF...):

Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Lemlin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lemlin »

I once used fish as signal in my circuit network. Perfect since I never have it stored.
One of my unfinished projects is to use fish as a "ticket" to call a train to a specific station.

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

aubergine18 wrote:Main issue from modding perspective is that there's no easy way to determine when fish is eaten.

As for catching them (wait about 60 seconds for the fish to appear in this GIF...):

That avatar is great, I've seen it before. Then I tried it in-game. Disappointed that it doesn't actually work :(
Slimey wrote:I once used fish as signal in my circuit network. Perfect since I never have it stored.
One of my unfinished projects is to use fish as a "ticket" to call a train to a specific station.
That sounds like a pretty good use for it actually!

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

steinio wrote:Build a biter trap.
agreed. bug bait.

Return to “Balancing”