Optimal usage of landfill creates terrible gameplay.

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
RickyRio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Optimal usage of landfill creates terrible gameplay.

Post by RickyRio »

With the way landfill is currently implemented, you get about 4x more land if you place one tile at a time (example: at a right angle corner, place 2 tiles off each shore, you will fill in a 2x2 area with one landfill)
I realize there is some technical weirdness with the implementation of landfill in vanilla so I do not have any good ideas for a solution, but something should be done so landfill can just be placed without feeling like I am wasting a rather expensive resource.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Optimal usage of landfill creates terrible gameplay.

Post by Koub »

Hi,

This had been reported as a bug when land filling feature was added to vanilla, and the devs answered it worked more or less as intended :
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27939
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Linosaurus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Linosaurus »

Yeah they said they don't consider it a bug which is fair enough, but I'd say it can still be a feature request. I also would prefer if the easy way didn't cost several times more resources.

One solution is to make the fill size 2x2 instead of 1x1 and snap like railways do, so that you cannot place them with 1 tile space. Might also make it a little more predictable what exactly it will look like after you place it.

Of course that *does* remove a lot of freedom for people designing awesome coast lines. If people do that.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Linosaurus wrote:One solution is to make the fill size 2x2 instead of 1x1 and snap like railways do, so that you cannot place them with 1 tile space. Might also make it a little more predictable what exactly it will look like after you place it.
I like this idea. Cause I also think that placing just one tile look really ugly.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

There is another good solution in the other thread: to allow placing 1x1 but...
BlakeMW wrote:The cost in landfills should be exactly equal to the number of land tiles created.
The Tactical Landfilling is not good for the gameplay because is taking too much effort. You are tired with necessity to precise calculate where to place another block but you are doing it anyway because it allows to save on a valuable resource. It definitely should be prevented somehow.
ssilk wrote:I like this idea. Cause I also think that placing just one tile look really ugly.
I fully agree.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Is there already a suggestion to remove land?

Unoxxis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Unoxxis »

nuhll wrote:Is there already a suggestion to remove land?
This would make turteling against biters trivial. So I assume it will not gonna happen until, you know, the biters learn to swim...

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

There are also maps generated where you only have one open location to them.. so and if you complete remove land around, you could also simply deactivate them...

Return to “Balancing”