Why do lvl 1 armor batteries take 2 slots?

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
PyroFire
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Why do lvl 1 armor batteries take 2 slots?

Post by PyroFire »

Title.

Why?
Makes sense for it to be 1 slot.
And basically everything takes up a 2x2 sections of the grid (or variants thereof), it feels like i'm working with a 5x5.
It also adds some nice variation, and another "something you can get to fill in the gaps".
Total power then becomes 40mj with 2 1x1 batteries compared to the 100mj with 1 1x2 battery, still less than half.

As it is right now, it is a weaksauce 20% of the next level.

Why must it be like this?

Perhaps this might even lead into 3 tiers of batteries, given you already have the art for it. Like the modules.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Why do lvl 1 armor batteries take 2 slots?

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

It's supposed to be a direct upgrade, and nothing in the equipment grid uses an odd number of slots so if you use one 1x1 battery you're forced to use another to fill the other hole you no doubt have.

I never use batteries anyway, 3x fusion reactors all the way. Skip straight to MK2 armour too so no solar panels.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

PyroFire
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PyroFire »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:It's supposed to be a direct upgrade, and nothing in the equipment grid uses an odd number of slots so if you use one 1x1 battery you're forced to use another to fill the other hole you no doubt have.

I never use batteries anyway, 3x fusion reactors all the way. Skip straight to MK2 armour too so no solar panels.
I wont deny, i do not disagree with this.

However.

My point is, those 1x1 solar panels are a thing.
And that being the case, they must either serve a role or purpose in the game or be removed.
Even if that purpose is for the sake of progression, like the burner inserters.
I believe reducing the level 1 batteries to a 1x1, and possibly adding a 3rd tier to use the existing art pieces for both batteries.
And it also makes sense given how modules are, having 3 tiers.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

As it stands, batteries are basically used as extra shield tanks.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Hmmm I forgot about solar panels (never use those either lol).

I still don't see it being a big deal, you need multiple solar panels and batteries if you go that route. This would just mean you can have one more solar panel and one less battery.

I think before addressing these sort of options we should look into ways to make the earlier power armours more appealing. As it is I have zero incentive not to rush the MK2 other than waiting slightly longer.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

SirLANsalot
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SirLANsalot »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Hmmm I forgot about solar panels (never use those either lol).

I still don't see it being a big deal, you need multiple solar panels and batteries if you go that route. This would just mean you can have one more solar panel and one less battery.

I think before addressing these sort of options we should look into ways to make the earlier power armours more appealing. As it is I have zero incentive not to rush the MK2 other than waiting slightly longer.
Actually I get the modular armor pretty early on and power it with solar and batts, then put a shield (or two) with a personal laser. I can then at least go walk out and take on most bases by then.

Return to “Balancing”