"until we have assembling machine with pipe"

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Coolthulhu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

"until we have assembling machine with pipe"

Post by Coolthulhu »

We have dat dere recipe in recipes.lua:

Code: Select all

type = "recipe",
    name = "battery",
    category = "chemistry", -- until we have assembling machine with pipe
Looks outdated now. So, goes to crafting-with-fluid or stays as chemistry
and gets comment removed
?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: "until we have assembling machine with pipe"

Post by kovarex »

Thank for the notice, we agreed that it will leave the battery recipe in the chemical plant, so the comment will be removed.

Puzzlemaker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Puzzlemaker »

kovarex wrote:Thank for the notice, we agreed that it will leave the battery recipe in the chemical plant, so the comment will be removed.
Does that mean the other recipe's that require an assembling machine with a pipe will be moved into the chemical plant? I find it odd that you can only fill up barrels of oil at the assembling machine...

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Puzzlemaker wrote:
kovarex wrote:Thank for the notice, we agreed that it will leave the battery recipe in the chemical plant, so the comment will be removed.
Does that mean the other recipe's that require an assembling machine with a pipe will be moved into the chemical plant? I find it odd that you can only fill up barrels of oil at the assembling machine...
No, the current state is something we agreed on. So assembling machine is used for stuff that you would not expect in chemical plant, like engine creation or barrel filling, but requires some fluid input.

just_dont
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by just_dont »

kovarex wrote:No, the current state is something we agreed on. So assembling machine is used for stuff that you would not expect in chemical plant, like engine creation or barrel filling, but requires some fluid input.
But it's pretty inconsistent.
Battery recipe uses only 1 liquid and two other materials, other such recipes are assembly machines food.
And if we're going to use "real-life" approach, making batteries is not exactly a "chemical" process, you still have to assemble the pieces.
Last edited by just_dont on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrNoid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DrNoid »

My expectation, as a new player, would be that an assembly machine makes "things" that consist of distinct components, while a chemical factory makes "materials" that are uniform in their consistency.

For example:
  • A battery consists of an anode, a cathode, electrolyte and a casing. Hence it is assembled from parts and is thus I would expect it to be made in an assembly machine.
  • Plastic is just one uniform substance without distinct parts. It is made in a chemical reaction, hence I would expect it to be made in a chemical plant.
By this logic, a filled oil barrel would come out of an assembly machine, since it consists of parts (a barrel and oil) and it is not the result of a chemical process. Same for a battery.

Not sure if it helps, but that's my currently still mostly "outsider" view.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

DrNoid wrote:My expectation, as a new player, would be that an assembly machine makes "things" that consist of distinct components, while a chemical factory makes "materials" that are uniform in their consistency.

For example:
  • A battery consists of an anode, a cathode, electrolyte and a casing. Hence it is assembled from parts and is thus I would expect it to be made in an assembly machine.
  • Plastic is just one uniform substance without distinct parts. It is made in a chemical reaction, hence I would expect it to be made in a chemical plant.
By this logic, a filled oil barrel would come out of an assembly machine, since it consists of parts (a barrel and oil) and it is not the result of a chemical process. Same for a battery.

Not sure if it helps, but that's my currently still mostly "outsider" view.
That does make good sense.

DrNoid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DrNoid »

I just noticed this question of a user that had trouble figuring out where gear wheels are made and that reminded me of this thread, since it is basically the same issue:
DrNoid wrote:My expectation, as a new player, would be that an assembly machine makes "things" that consist of distinct components, while a chemical factory makes "materials" that are uniform in their consistency.
This problem is similar, since a gear wheel is also not really assembled from components. It is probably die-cut or punched from a metal plate. The same goes for copper wire, which is "wire-pulled" out of a copper bar, and metal rods.

It's probably not worth making an entire new factory type just for those few items, but something to keep in mind nonetheless, since it apparently does confuse some new players.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

I see this the same way as DrNoid. In a chemical plant I see one or two ingredients reacting into another substance. gas->plastics ; sulphur->sulphuric acid.

But a battery is indeed assembled from different parts into a "thing". I think we can generalize: If the output is a homogenic material produced in a chemical reaction (like plastic, sulphur or a fluid) it has to be produced in a chemical factory, otherwise an an assembler.

Return to “Balancing”