splitter recipe

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
haunted_1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

splitter recipe

Post by haunted_1 »

I think it would be great if the splitters are made from the lower tier splitters like the belts.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: splitter recipe

Post by Dakkanor »

what about a splitter item which just gets placed over two belts?
so all the item would do was split, while the belts it's put on determin the speed.....

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

Dakkanor wrote:what about a splitter item which just gets placed over two belts?
so all the item would do was split, while the belts it's put on determin the speed.....
mmmm interesting :P

while providing a lot of playability, its also quite tricky to make.
If you understand some of the game workings, it will require multiple render layers, collision_masks and more.
then there is the placing of the splitter. i cant be placed on normal ground, but only on belts. and it needs to see the direction of the belt aswell (placing it backwards is not really effective)

But there are a lot of good points aswell:
you can make it moddable, meaning modders can change the direction for the splitter (1 straight and 1 left, or 1 straight and 1 back xD) aswell as the speed of the splitter or making it smart (ratios of 1:2 or 3:2 for example)
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

Dysoch wrote:
Dakkanor wrote:what about a splitter item which just gets placed over two belts?
mmmm interesting :P

while providing a lot of playability, its also quite tricky to make.
If you understand some of the game workings, it will require multiple render layers, collision_masks and more.
then there is the placing of the splitter. i cant be placed on normal ground, but only on belts. and it needs to see the direction of the belt aswell (placing it backwards is not really effective)

But there are a lot of good points aswell:
you can make it moddable, meaning modders can change the direction for the splitter (1 straight and 1 left, or 1 straight and 1 back xD) aswell as the speed of the splitter or making it smart (ratios of 1:2 or 3:2 for example)
with the right constraints you could simply have placing the splitter item turn the two belt entities into one splitter entity of the same level(or the lowest level of those belts) and when its removed it places two belt entities of the same type there.

thats the simplest way i can think of doing it. more comprehensive ways start getting really complicated until the complexity isn't worth the returns

Return to “Balancing”