[0.13] Increase copy/paste filter numbers for requester chests

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.13] Increase copy/paste filter numbers for requester chests

Post by Tyrindor »

By default if you shift right click on an assembler, then shift left click on a requester chest, it automatically sets the filter. The problem is, the amounts are too low to compensate for drones.

I'd suggest increasing it quite dramatically... 5-10x higher than the base cost of the recipe.
Last edited by Tyrindor on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.13] Increase copy/paste filter numbers for requester chests

Post by ssilk »

For some recipes you are right. For some not. And you already mentioned it: It depends on distances.
This is so balancing...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tyrindor »

ssilk wrote:For some recipes you are right. For some not. And you already mentioned it: It depends on distances.
This is so balancing...
Resources are generally plentiful and the current filter settings almost never allows the machine to run constantly, even if source materials are nearby. So you end up having to adjust every single filter. 5-10x seems like a much better default that would work for most cases, and you could adjust those expensive recipes accordingly. I'd rather items be waiting in a chest than a machine running slow.

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tyrindor »

I found a mod that does this called "SmallFixes" on the mod portal. You need to open the rar and edit the config to enable it. 20 times default seems to work nicely.

TheSkiGeek
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheSkiGeek »

What it ought to do IMO is set it for ~30s or so worth of production (given the speed of the assembler), rather than a fixed multiple of the recipe's cost.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

It wold be nice to have that as a configuration settings in menu somewhere.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

There's a simple solution I thought of today, before finding this post. I'll add it here instead of making a new thread (it was intended to address #2, below, but applies here--#1).

Make copy-pasting recipes onto requester chests *ADD* the components rather than completely reprogramming the chests.

1) You can do higher multiples by clicking a few times
2) You can paste from multiple machines/recipes rather than having to manually add components after the 1st recipe
3) It's slightly different from Factorio's current paste paradigm, but fits the idea of pasting into a shopping list repeatedly. ;)
3) It's slightly different from Factorio's current paste paradigm, but fits the idea of pasting into a shopping list repeatedly. ;)

This strikes me as a change on par with the mining-entities-over-ore-patches fix recently and should be even simpler to implement!

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

IronCartographer wrote:Make copy-pasting recipes onto requester chests *ADD* the components rather than completely reprogramming the chests.
Wow. This is so simple and elegant I'm surprised others haven't thought about it before.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Nice idea.
Not intuitive (the whole feature isn't), and it would work for 90% of the cases I think. Good enough.

Maybe: Instead of adding multiplying by 2?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ssilk wrote:Hm. Nice idea.
Not intuitive (the whole feature isn't), and it would work for 90% of the cases I think. Good enough.

Maybe: Instead of adding multiplying by 2?
The idea actually came to me when setting up bot-based production with paired assemblers feeding from a requester chest, which would be greatly simplified by being able to compose multiple pastes into a combined request amount.

Multiplying by 2 would solve the original issue of this thread but lose the synergy of multi-recipe requester chests!

Miravlix
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Miravlix »

The copy should really consider resources needed for X second of operation, that's where the main issue is at the moment, that the request is independent on how fast the machine needs items, especially since the whole game is designed around what you can do in a given time period.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

There is a requester_paste_multiplier recipe attribute now that can set this per recipe.
So I guess it's only a matter of adjusting the most problematic recipes.
(Assuming that this attribute really does what I think)

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

I think original x2 multiplier got there from default filling of assemblers by inserters with belts. ofc it should be increased in case of requester chests operated by bots.

Adding instead of overwriting when shift-left-clicking is a good idea :) I like it. But it should be aided with some quick hovering hint over a chest after the click showing its resulting request settings, so that player sees what actually happens without entering chest UI. Also some "Clear" button would be useful for requester chests.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Miravlix wrote:The copy should really consider resources needed for X second of operation, that's where the main issue is at the moment, that the request is independent on how fast the machine needs items, especially since the whole game is designed around what you can do in a given time period.
Problem with that is, one can have multiple different recipes pulling items from same chest. I also quite often use a requester chest to pull items into it but put items from the chest to a belt to feed a row of machines.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Just one more thought: While adding, it probably ought to add 2x at a time so the current behavior from a single paste is maintained. If anyone cares about the difference between 2, 4, 6x, etc. and 3x, 5x, etc., they can take the time to set it manually.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Maybe the requester_paste_multiplier should scale with base production duration (inversely). So for a 0.5 seconds recipe it should request 10 times as much than for a 5 seconds recipe. Then you could simply use 1 batch of ingredients for each recipe and scale it by that value; no need to scale each recipe with an individual constant.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

hoho wrote:Problem with that is, one can have multiple different recipes pulling items from same chest. I also quite often use a requester chest to pull items into it but put items from the chest to a belt to feed a row of machines.
I often group assemblers around a single requester chest, and one assembler needs EC + AC and the other one needs EC + Plate. Then it always needs to be adjusted manually, because you can't paste the two recipes on top of eachother (one will overwrite the other).

Every paste operation should add to the filters that are already on the chest. You could use this as described above, and also to create bigger multiples for a single recipe.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Return to “Balancing”