Roboport undocking speed

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Roboport undocking speed

Post by immibis »

Currently, if a lot of logistic bots transfer items between the same chests - like if you add a large request - it looks like this:

Maybe there should be a limit to how fast robots can undock from a port, something like 2 robots/second instead of 1 robot/frame.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Roboport undocking speed

Post by syneris »

I'd like this just for aesthetic purposes.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Alternately, robots could collide and/or path around each other and/or with some minor randomness to their path.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I would say one per 0.1-0.2 secs would look fantastic and avoids some queues at the ports.
I would also like to be able to limit the docks per port, so that the bots are better spreaded.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Chrotesque
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chrotesque »

Alternately, robots could collide and/or path around each other and/or with some minor randomness to their path.
I am currently having ~900 robots flying around, I'd very much like to see that happening and I'd probably not be able to see the ground underneath. :P

Coolthulhu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Coolthulhu »

Collisions and randomness in bot paths sound like a bigger problem than bad aesthetics.
They can be rather wonky already, with robot suicide and whatnot. Add bots crashing into each other and waving around unpredictably and you'd be likely to get something that not only still looks ugly, but also plays ugly.
It would also nerf logistic bots hard.

Limiting bot release speed sounds like a much better idea to me. It would make active bot number vary smoothly - as long as there are jobs, bots are released at relatively constant speed, then docked at similar speed until equilibrium of jobs created/jobs taken is achieved. Look at a logistic network with more jobs than bots - those can look good, as long as it has many nodes and not just 2 chests exchanging ores.

An acceptable variant of collision I can think of would be pushing other bots away like flying units in Starcraft. The maximal force of being pushed away would need to be low, to avoid the possibility of a cluster of bots surrounding a chest and pushing each other away, creating a deadlock. Or they would need to wait in queue, like for a recharge.
Of course the CPU cost of this would probably be non-negligible.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I suggested - some time ago - that the bots fly a bit "right handed": instead of flying directly "on the shortest line, they shift a bit to the right, depending on distance to the source and target. This is only a graphical effect, they're not faster or slower with it.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Actually I like the effect when lots of them gets out of the roboport (usually when the train arrives).

Return to “Balancing”