Has the map creation algorithm changed?

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
ray4ever
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Has the map creation algorithm changed?

Post by ray4ever »

I generated quite a few maps today (around 20ish) and found that in about 50% of all maps one of the main ores (coal, iron, copper) wasn't available in the starting location. This hasn't happened to me beforehand.
Furthermore there seems to be a LOT more water on the map than before and the wood density seems to be increased too, which can be very annoying if you are starting in a large forest or when one of your starting ore deposits is buried under lots of trees.

Another thing I noticed was that in most cases there were many crude oil sources nearby, but even after some exploration I wasn't able to discover another huge oil field, only some scattered oil sources.

Has anybody else found similar results, or is it just me and my "luck" with the generator?
And what are your impressions of the generated worlds?

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Has the map creation algorithm changed?

Post by jeroon »

There seems to be a lot more woods and water yeah, i'm currently upgrading my shotgun to get rid of the trees, so my empire can grow :D

My base is surrounded by water on 3 sides, so yeah, a lot more water too.

Do the deconstruction robots cut wood too? :D

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

jeroon wrote:Do the deconstruction robots cut wood too? :D
Yes

I think coal is much rarer now, stone is more common, and there are more trees and water.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

jeroon wrote:There seems to be a lot more woods and water yeah, i'm currently upgrading my shotgun to get rid of the trees, so my empire can grow :D
You know that poison is much more effective?

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... on_capsule
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

After ten map generations, about half of them put my starting location against an ocean biome with no resources. Another few put me in the middle of a forest I had to hack my way out of.

There should be rules for spawning locations:

Things to be checked before committing a map to the player:
1. Is there at least X coal, iron, stone, copper, and oil within 3-10 chunks of the player.
2. The player cannot spawn within the same chunk containing water
3. the player cannot spawn in a chunk with more than x number of trees
4. The player cannot spawn within 7 chunks of an ocean biome.
5. Medium/large biter spawners cannot spawn within 20-30 chunks of the player.

if any of these conditions fail, the game should simply reroll the map.

With 5: Small spawners are fine, as they can be deat with early game, but all too often I find that the only viable resource vein is in the back yard of a medium/large biter spawner nest, and the pollution caused by any kind of mining operation would immediately draw constant attacks. This is not good for a starting player, and i'm on straight-medium settings, especially if the player has to travel to find something worth harvesting. All too often I find myself penned in by large camps in nearly all directions, even without pollution mutation. I don't mind forcefully claiming real-estate, but taking out a camp of more than 1 spawner with standard ammo and armor is suicide.

My avatar is of an instance where the map created a tiny island that it then placed me on with no connection to the mainland. This is still possible, and it should not be.

ray4ever
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ray4ever »

With further testing it seems to me that the ore seeds are created first and than the water is generated. This leads to a situation where most/all of your ore is generated under water making it inaccessible for the player.

Return to “Balancing”