On the doubled damage of turrets

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

On the doubled damage of turrets

Post by BlakeMW »

The +100% damage boost of gun turrets makes them brutally effective against armored targets such as spawners, even without using AP ammo. This feels like a balance issue. It seems to me the idea of turrets getting a damage boost is about accuracy not piercing (they fire the bullet more accurately, not more forcefully), so the gun turret should actually hit with 2 bullets rather than a double-damage bullet, or to put it in a more logical way, handheld weapons should miss 50% of the time but the turret hit 100% of the time. This would greatly hamper early turret walking, destroying the ability to use regular ammo to kill spawners and reducing the effectiveness of AP ammo against spawners by 40%. It'd also make regular ammo pretty much stop working against big biters, forcing an upgrade to AP ammo (gun turrets with regular ammo max out at 19.4 damage, which cuts right through the 8 physical resistance, but if it hit with two bullets at 9.7 each, it'd only deal 2 * 1.7 = 3.4 damage, enough to kill Big Biters but not nearly economical).
I'd still let the turret damage stand as a boost to bullet damage, THAT can represent the turret magically learning to aim for weak spots :).

Lallante
Inserter
Inserter

Re: On the doubled damage of turrets

Post by Lallante »

This is pretty low on the list of combat-related balancing for me. There's plenty of other even more OP tactics and approaches.

I'd wait for a complete combat overhaul to look at this.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The problem with making something more resistant to turret damage is... gun turrets cause the same damage type as using bullets, therefore making them more resistant against the gun turret also makes them more resistant against you.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

The problem with making something more resistant to turret damage is... gun turrets cause the same damage type as using bullets, therefore making them more resistant against the gun turret also makes them more resistant against you.
The Gun Turret deals doubled damage and this doubling occurs before physical resistance is taken into account. Against targets without physical resistance the turret simply deals 2x the damage per bullet as your gun does. But it is much more effective against armored targets than your gun is. For example a spawner has 2 armor, your gun fires a bullet for 2 damage which deals 0.5 damage to the spawner. But a gun turret fires the same bullet for 4 damage which deals 2 damage to the spawner, as such the same bullet deals 4x the damage when fired from a gun turret.

I'm suggesting just that the gun turret should always deal 2x the damage as your gun does regardless of physical resistance of the target as if it simply hits with twice as many bullets, rather than firing super armor-piercing bullets. No change to the damage from handheld guns is proposed.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

BlakeMW wrote:The Gun Turret deals doubled damage and this doubling occurs before physical resistance is taken into account.
A byproduct of increasing the damage to compensate for the increased size. A problem that is likely going to be fixed down the road with the combat reballance.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

omega_haxors
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omega_haxors »

Still takes way more effort and logistics to set up than a laser system, which i'm glad to see.

If you think your powerful turrets are going to be carrying you, think again. The higher level enemies will quickly shrug off the bonus damage and without proper planning will end very poorly for your save if you don't upgrade your defences with more turrets.

More turrets mores more ammo which means more logistics, which means more production needed, which means more pollution, which means more difficulty, which means you'll be royally fked when your iron mine finally runs out, which will force you into enemy territory for more iron, which increases the chance you get attacked, And that's exactly what this game's all about. ;)

Compare that to lasers where the gameplay gets about as exciting as spam solar panels, spam accumulators, and finally spam lasers. Normally this wouldn't be sustainable, but since you're running pure solar it doesn't matter as the natives will hardly EVER attack you. If they try, they will be blasted to heaven high.

Return to “Balancing”