Push robots and fast inserters back

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Push robots and fast inserters back

Post by TuckJohn »

Simply, you get robots and fast inserters too fast. You can get them within a few hours of playing.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Push robots and fast inserters back

Post by ssilk »

TuckJohn wrote:Simply, you get robots and fast inserters too fast.
Why? What is your criteria of "too fast"? For whom? Compared to what?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

And wha you suggest to do?
Make which research a requirement?

Also, bots need blue research to be used sensibly. I think that is already a relatively high requirement

Melfish
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Melfish »

I just saw someone complete the game in under 4 hours, so too fast is very vague (and relative).

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Melfish wrote:I just saw someone complete the game in under 4 hours, so too fast is very vague (and relative).
Yet I have 100+ hours in one game and I think that Bots takes too damn long to appear.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

ssilk wrote:
TuckJohn wrote:Simply, you get robots and fast inserters too fast.
Why? What is your criteria of "too fast"? For whom? Compared to what?
Sorry for being breif in my origional post. I think that robots should be goten very early into blue science, as apposed to late into green science. Also, as it is, you barly need to make any inserters to get to fast inserters. I think that fast inserters should be gotten a little bit before where you can currently get bots.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

Except fast inserters aren't all that useful until you get to the later stages when you need more items going though assemblers/chem plants

Hell, in the speed run that Melfish talked about (though i haven't watched all of AntiElite's) we don't use fast inserters until oil/post science, and even then most items build so slowly that unless you are using modules, you don't NEED the speed outside of copper wire

(or modded, but that's a different problem)

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

LordFedora wrote:Except fast inserters aren't all that useful until you get to the later stages when you need more items going though assemblers/chem plants

Hell, in the speed run that Melfish talked about (though i haven't watched all of AntiElite's) we don't use fast inserters until oil/post science, and even then most items build so slowly that unless you are using modules, you don't NEED the speed outside of copper wire

(or modded, but that's a different problem)
That is exactly my point. You dont really need to have the fast inserters until late-mid game, and so the research should reflect that. As of right now, you can get the inserters within an hour of playing, and, if you are like me, never use regular inserters again.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

TuckJohn wrote:That is exactly my point. You dont really need to have the fast inserters until late-mid game, and so the research should reflect that. As of right now, you can get the inserters within an hour of playing, and, if you are like me, never use regular inserters again.
So why you cannot just stop spamming them everywhere. :D

Perhaps the problem is laying in the fact that they are too cheap and not so power greedy as it seems to be right?

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

hitzu wrote:
TuckJohn wrote:That is exactly my point. You dont really need to have the fast inserters until late-mid game, and so the research should reflect that. As of right now, you can get the inserters within an hour of playing, and, if you are like me, never use regular inserters again.

Perhaps the problem is laying in the fact that they are too cheap and not so power greedy as it seems to be right?
That is possible. I would like it if they required a single advanced circuit. It would push them back on the tech tree, and make them take awhile to make.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

TuckJohn wrote:
hitzu wrote:

That is possible. I would like it if they required a single advanced circuit. It would push them back on the tech tree, and make them take awhile to make.
What would it change? Eventually you will spamming them anyway, just like people spam red and blue belts even if yellow are fine for their purposes. :)

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

You have to be careful then, because blue inserters are required to make blue science

if they require red chips, then blue science requires two red chips instead of just one

honestly i don't see anything wrong with blue inserters, if i HAD to suggest a balance for them, it would be make them require either more green chips/gears, or draw more power

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

LordFedora wrote: or draw more power
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 87&t=12476

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Playing some of the major mods helps put into perspective just how much inserter speed you really NEED. Slow inserters are perfectly adequate for most things, and by the time they lag behind you have a few stack bonuses to keep them viable. There's no real reason to rush a fast inserter or have them available super early, and even when they hit the field they spend most of their life idling. It's not unreasonable to say that fast inserters are kind of overkill for their place in the tech tree.

IIRC, all inserters pay the same idle tax and cost the same energy load per action (burners do their own thing). So there's no real penalty for going fast, other than it being a bit more expensive up front.

Return to “Balancing”