is effectivity module op?

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

is effectivity module op?

Post by LoSboccacc »

the combo of two level one effectivity module in an electric furnace reduces energy consumption to a non issue in the early stages of game

I think that if the limit is 80% reduction and furnaces have two slots, a nerfed progression would be

effectivity 1: 20% reduction
effectivity 2: 40% reduction
effectivity 2: 60% reduction

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: is effectivity module op?

Post by Balinor »

I don't think it is op no.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Electric furnaces really aren't the major factor in pollution, at least not for me. For me it tends to be the electric drills but it's till expensive to make enough to place in each drill (even using beacons). So in my opinion they are not OP
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

quadrapod
Inserter
Inserter

Post by quadrapod »

Maybe a little, but in truth I don't think power or pollution really factor much into things later on. Over all I'd say the productivity modules are probable the most OP right now if I had to point at any one.

Four productivity III modules give a +60% production bonus, so if you're making speed III modules you can get 1.6X production the speed I, II and III modules letting you get 4X the output for the materials you put in. When you're talking about the rocket defense that's about 100,000 copper bars you never needed to smelt maybe even more than that if you have productivity modules at any other stage in your factory.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

FreeER wrote:Electric furnaces really aren't the major factor in pollution, at least not for me. For me it tends to be the electric drills but it's till expensive to make enough to place in each drill (even using beacons). So in my opinion they are not OP
Actually I have two effectivity module I in each of my electric furnaces, each Level 2 assembly machine and in every mine I have.
It is true that their production is quite expensive (you need lots and lots of Electronic circuits) but they do make the game much easier due to much lower polution.
On my current gameplay I have over 15 hours of gameplay and havent been atacked even once even thou I have a biter base in my radar scanning range (freeplay with large start zone and smal biter bases I belive).
So yes I would agree that they are a bit OP.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

All modules are exploitable. There is no reason that we need to keep nerfing everything to oblivion.
If you think they're too exploitable, Don't Use Them!
Almost every time modules get discussed, the nerf hammer comes out, and personally, I'm sick of people complaining about how strong they can be.
Last I checked, they were the 2nd longest category of item to produce. That's the reason they're strong (or vice versa)
At this point, there's nearly no reason to bother with productivity modules except in labs, nearly no reason to bother with speed at all unless you need to work in a confined space that doesn't allow for better optimization.
Effectiveness are the only module left that's useful in most situations, since less pollution is almost always preferable to the piddly ass boosts left from the other modules.

*sigh* rant over, I suppose. But really, I didn't pull this out of thin air.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Pandamonium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pandamonium »

n9103 wrote:nearly no reason to bother with speed at all
I agree, its weird that the only real usefullness is for making power armor...

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

n9103 wrote:... At this point, there's nearly no reason to bother with productivity modules except in labs, nearly no reason to bother with speed at all unless you need to work in a confined space that doesn't allow for better optimization...
Would you please explain why you don't see any reason for productivity modules exept in labs? I use them in EVERY mashine where possible from miner over furnace to all assemblers and I save gigantic amounts (in long production chains we are talking about 90% material savings from ore to endproduct) of material for just more energy from my solar arrays. And even with my incredible high amount of pollution the biter attacks are just tickling my defences.

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

I don't use production modules simply because the whole concept feels too gamey to me. I do however use efficiency modules constantly as a way to reduce my overall pollution levels.

quadrapod
Inserter
Inserter

Post by quadrapod »

Balinor wrote:I don't use production modules simply because the whole concept feels too gamey to me. I do however use efficiency modules constantly as a way to reduce my overall pollution levels.
Right now with the game existing as it does it's probably best to set your own limitations, since there are bound to be balance issues right now.

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

quadrapod wrote:
Balinor wrote:I don't use production modules simply because the whole concept feels too gamey to me. I do however use efficiency modules constantly as a way to reduce my overall pollution levels.
Right now with the game existing as it does it's probably best to set your own limitations, since there are bound to be balance issues right now.
Definitely true. With the current version of Factorio it is fairly easy for me to completely destroy my enjoyment of the game, hence why there are certain settings I choose when creating a map and certain ways I set objectives for myself on the maps and how I go about achieving those objectives. I do love how Factorio is setup to let me choose the level of fun and the approach to it that I want to take.

quadrapod
Inserter
Inserter

Post by quadrapod »

Balinor wrote:
quadrapod wrote:
Definitely true. With the current version of Factorio it is fairly easy for me to completely destroy my enjoyment of the game, hence why there are certain settings I choose when creating a map and certain ways I set objectives for myself on the maps and how I go about achieving those objectives. I do love how Factorio is setup to let me choose the level of fun and the approach to it that I want to take.

You can make a mod pack easy enough and tweak things to your liking. Here's something basic that should nerf production modules and give enough of a buff to piercing ammunition to make gun turrets usable late game, just as an example.
Attachments
Balance tweak.zip
(793 Bytes) Downloaded 269 times

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

I actually like the modules. Though I do think the current implementation is a tad 'dicky'. But I don't really know a better way to implement it to make it less dicky. I love the ability to reduce my energy requirements or speed or give bonus production. I like to think of it as "reconfiguring" the building to perform a certain way. Like overcharging or undercharging etc. Essentially the building has the capacity to do all of these things already. But they're not configured to do so. The modules giving you the ability to configure them that way.

quadrapod
Inserter
Inserter

Post by quadrapod »

TGS wrote:I actually like the modules. Though I do think the current implementation is a tad 'dicky'. But I don't really know a better way to implement it to make it less dicky. I love the ability to reduce my energy requirements or speed or give bonus production. I like to think of it as "reconfiguring" the building to perform a certain way. Like overcharging or undercharging etc. Essentially the building has the capacity to do all of these things already. But they're not configured to do so. The modules giving you the ability to configure them that way.

Right now modules seem like a patch, where you could have more deep and rewarding gameplay. For example I think I'd prefer it if instead of modules, increased technology lead to better output at the expense of a new processes that yielded more pollution and power usage. For example if you researched integrated circuits you could use them in place of standard circuits, but also make them in larger quantities with less material for the cost of a more complex, power heavy production line which would produce more pollution.

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

quadrapod wrote:
TGS wrote:I actually like the modules. Though I do think the current implementation is a tad 'dicky'. But I don't really know a better way to implement it to make it less dicky. I love the ability to reduce my energy requirements or speed or give bonus production. I like to think of it as "reconfiguring" the building to perform a certain way. Like overcharging or undercharging etc. Essentially the building has the capacity to do all of these things already. But they're not configured to do so. The modules giving you the ability to configure them that way.

Right now modules seem like a patch, where you could have more deep and rewarding gameplay. For example I think I'd prefer it if instead of modules, increased technology lead to better output at the expense of a new processes that yielded more pollution and power usage. For example if you researched integrated circuits you could use them in place of standard circuits, but also make them in larger quantities with less material for the cost of a more complex, power heavy production line which would produce more pollution.
This. So much this. The perfect solution for the current flawed process.

Jouko
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jouko »

I personally think that the modules are almost perfect.
Only thing that I would like to change is to make speed modules better. Efficiency modules are my favourite, and i use some productivity as well. Speed modules should not increase the energy cost so much.
PS: this is my personal opinion, it is fine to disagree.

tetkris
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tetkris »

this is op ? this is useless

KingWut117
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KingWut117 »

Balinor wrote:I don't use production modules simply because the whole concept feels too gamey to me.
But... It's a game. Isn't it supposed to be gamey? I didn't realize gamers were looking for real life in video games...

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

KingWut117 wrote:But... It's a game. Isn't it supposed to be gamey? I didn't realize gamers were looking for real life in video games...
...You obviously have not talked with gamers enough :P Though to be honest, not everyone wants super realism, there are quite a few who do like realism (can I mention Kerbal Space Program here, it seems like a decent example that's fairly popular, or any generic simulation racing game that is considered good). However, OP and realism isn't necessarily related, if a gamer is talking about something being OP it's usually because it's something that leads to the game being too easy/thoughtless and thus less fun for them (some would say don't use the OP item/tactic but for many it's hard due to it seeming illogical to not use the OP item/tactic even if they know it will be less fun overall, like turret creep or poison spamming, partially a matter of personality and play-style as well as how many other options the game gives).

P.S. I'm talking about OPness and realism in general here, not about the effectivity module specifically (just in case it wasn't obvious :))

darkminaz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by darkminaz »

speed is quite usefull for research centers. atleast i don't care if it costs less power or creates a bit more. Speed is key for the big parts (since i hate waiting^^)

Return to “Balancing”