[0.12] Top-tier Combat robots should be permanent and personal

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Grimtongue
Inserter
Inserter

[0.12] Top-tier Combat robots should be permanent and personal

Post by Grimtongue »

[Edit: This is the wrong place for posting suggestions... my bad. I don't see any way to delete the post, so I'll just put it in a spoiler for now.]
I love the aesthetic of the personal roboport. A fleet of drones popping out of the player's power armor looks great. In the current game version, the construction bots come out to fix my tank and turrets during combat. This is a great mechanic that I haven't seen in other games. I'd like robots to play a more significant role in combat, especially the Destroyer robots. Unfortunately, due to the high cost and consumable nature of the combat robots, I only use the Distractor capsules during regular play.

Suggestion: change Destroyer Capsule (consumable) to Destroyer Drones (permanent)
# recipe: one Destroyer Drone = 1x Flying Robot Frame, 1x Distractor Capsule, 1x Speed Module
# uses (and requires) Personal Roboport
# can be repaired by construction bots mid-combat
# Destroyer behavior remains the same - it follows the player and attacks hostiles
# Destroyer drones additionally limited by the number of personal roboports (10 drones per port)
# Destroyer drones deployment can't exceed the follower robot limit

Those last 2 items are essential towards balancing permanent combat robots. As it is now, construction robots use enormous amounts of power from the personal roboport. It would be logical and balanced for Destroyer drones to consume power in a similar manner. A player will need to balance this huge demand for power against their personal defenses and maximum number of deployed robots.

For example, an end-game setup might look something like this: mk2 power armor with 3 fusion reactors, 10 mk2 batteries, 4 personal roboports, and 4 mk2 shields. The player keeps a stockpile of construction and destroyer drones in the inventory, but only a maximum of 40 can deploy at a time. A skirmish that lasts for more than a minute would deplete the batteries, leaving the player without defenses. A player with this configuration could march through a smaller base with ease - as you should be able to do so late in the game. Against larger bases, the player could use this configuration to keep the tank safe from monsters, while shooting worms and nests with the cannon from a safe distance.

To my way of thinking, this would make combat far more enjoyable. The currently preferred late-game combat method involves placing a turret wall blueprint and watching everything die. Adventurous players like myself use Distractor capsules to speed up the turret walk, and to make things more interesting. However, it still gets boring fast.
Last edited by Grimtongue on Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12] Top-tier Combat robots should be permanent and personal

Post by Marconos »

Two shields is insta death versus any large pack of evolved sputters. Concept is interesting but I prefer research that would allow them to last longer.

Grimtongue
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Grimtongue »

Combat robotics are imbalanced (too weak) in the current game version.
I'm really looking forward to the "combat revisited" update because currently Factorio combat is lackluster.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

Grimtongue wrote: I'm really looking forward to the "combat revisited" update because currently Factorio combat is lackluster.
I agree, the combat has the potential to be interesting and takeing on biters with mutiable balanced weapons that just isn't there.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Oh yea combat bots should be upgradeable to last longer.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

One of the things I tried to do for my mod was make a combat robot that doesn't die from time.

I think the best I could do was give it a lifespan of 1 day.

on top of that, I made it function more like a logistic/construction drone in that you just place them in the world instead of from a capsule, and can "mine" them stright from the air, just like logistic and combat drones.

I couldn't give them Energy like a construction/logistic robot though, they had to have a death timer.

This didn't work exactly as intended either, if you threw out just enough of these robots to reach your max robot limit, simply grabbing a new stack from your inventory, or a chest into your hand would cause one robot to "die" because aparantly a footprint ready to place counts towards your max robots. So to function properly, they do have to be a capsule, but this aspect could be falsely removed with a little trickery. Give the capsule the graphics of a robot, that way when you throw the capsule, it just looks like you throw a robot in that direction, then have a mined robot drop the capsule, cycle complete.

The sugestion of having compat robots linked to a roboport is a good thing, something I have sugested before, not only for a personal roboport, but also for the main roboport network, automatically attacking anything that enters the "kill zone" (a new zone like the logistic and construction zones of a roboport).
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

DaemosDaen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaemosDaen »

[quote="bobingabout"]One of the things I tried to do for my mod was make a combat robot that doesn't die from time.

I think the best I could do was give it a lifespan of 1 day.

on top of that, I made it function more like a logistic/construction drone in that you just place them in the world instead of from a capsule, and can "mine" them stright from the air, just like logistic and combat drones.

I couldn't give them Energy like a construction/logistic robot though, they had to have a death timer.[quote]

Too bad you couldn't just give logistics/constructions drones guns :lol:

Tev
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tev »

Destroyer robots already last long enough to take out 3 large nests*, and are by far fastest way to do that. And are way more convenient than soon-to-be-nerfed turret creep. Imo they're fine, and they become relevant right after you finish research (behemoths), so they also fill the role of "permanent drain on resources", stimulating expansion and further production optimizing.

*for normal setting and RSO, should be better for vanilla/more biters, as they spend more time shooting.

Return to “Balancing”