[Fixed 0.12.2] B.Inserters not starting with enough energy

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Fixed 0.12.2] B.Inserters not starting with enough energy

Post by MeduSalem »

Well, today I built a new Steam Power Plant and noticed a strange behavior with the new feature of Burner Inserters starting with enough energy to refill themselves:

While theoretically yes, they have enough energy to grab one single item it is merely NOT enough.

Because try the following:
  1. Put Burner Inserters on both sides along a belt and then let the belt fill with fuel.
  2. You'll notice that once the first Fuel Item comes along the belt, both Burner Inserters will try to grab the same item.
  3. One will succeed, the other will not.
  4. The one that didn't succeed gets stuck without fuel/energy to refill itself.
  5. You have to fill it manually.
It's only minor, but I filed it as balancing issue, since it is clearly not a bug as the feature otherwise works as intended. It's just a question of how much Energy they should start with.

And I'd say they should start with twice the amount, so they can get a second try if the first missed.

But there may be some people using 4 Burner Inserters around a single Requester Chest (for whatever reason), so I guess that's a tough decision.
Last edited by MeduSalem on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.1] Burner Inserters not starting with enough energy

Post by MeduSalem »

Damn. Ninja'd.

Well should have looked into the resolved subforum, instead of the open bugs one. xD

Sander Buruma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sander Buruma »

I didn't see any burner inserter change or fix in 0.12.2, did this make it in?

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Sander Buruma wrote:I didn't see any burner inserter change or fix in 0.12.2, did this make it in?
Well yes, it seems to be fixed, but not mentioned in the update notes.

At least it works for regular Transport Belts now. If it can't get it the first time around it will perform several retries.

For Fast Transport Belts the Burner Inserter is obviously too slow anyways so it will keep on trying to grab passing items but can't and thereby burn through whatever energy it starts with and eventually get stuck, but that's a behavior I'd expect with faster belts.

Can't tell about 2-4 Burner Inserters grabbing from a single chest though. Haven't tried that in my quick test.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Fixed 0.12.2] B.Inserters not starting with enough energy

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Fixed 0.12.2] B.Inserters not starting with enough energy

Post by MeduSalem »

ssilk wrote:Comes with 0.12.1
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =3&t=14009
First entry.
Nah, I created this thread because there was an issue with the first implementation in 0.12.1.

In 0.12.1 the burner inserters already had a little energy by default, yes, but not enough to make a retry if they missed, so they still could run out of full before filling themselves.

That's what I tried to report here, but it has been fixed for 0.12.2 but it hasn't been mentioned that the devs raised the default energy a bit in the 0.12.2 update notes so that the Burner Inserters now have enough default energy to make several retries before they run dry.

P.S. maybe there should be sub-category for balancing issues that already got implemented/fixed/changed, like there are for Ideas/Suggestions and the Bugs section.

Return to “Balancing”