0.7.0 Is Impossible

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
azoundria
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

0.7.0 Is Impossible

Post by azoundria »

I picked a lower-than-normal enemy base rate, and didn't see any bases. Suddenly I came under attack. It was easy to kill the Small Biters. So I rebuilt and now I'm facing Medium Biters. This is just one attack. They've ravaged my base. I can't go anywhere because they are 5 times faster than me. I have been non-stop shooting and I have not been able to kill a single medium biter in the time it's taken me to wall-tunnel my way through hundreds of walls. You can see there's hardly any pollution left.

It would be really useful if the Medium Biters were outrunnable at least. They'd destroy my base, but at least I'd have a hope of surviving. That makes sense to me, that a large creature would move slower than a smaller one, not the other way around. The game should be difficult, not impossible.

The thing that's getting really annoying as well is enemies targeting chests. All the contents are completely lost magically. Enemies should leaves focus on other buildings, and if chests are destroyed, the contents should be scattered.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: 0.7.0 Is Impossible

Post by kovarex »

Hello, did you load game started in pre 0.7 or started new game?
Did you make stationary defenses (turrets) with walls around?
Did you invent and use better weapons and upgrades, the basic bullets with attack 2 (without upgrades) are almost useless against medium biter (armor 4) or big biter (armor 8).
How long did you play before it was getting too hard?

In 0.7.1 there will be upgrades (first levels are quite cheap) for gun turrets, so it is possible to use them to defense as well.

azoundria
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by azoundria »

No I didn't have time to get a research lab and everything set up. I was only playing for about 18 minutes when all the medium biters came, and I managed to use walls to defend myself for about 6 minutes but it was pointless.

I think the medium biters also heal themselves, so it was nearly impossible to keep firing at the same one while placing walls. So my damage got nicely spread and effectively did nothing.

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

isn't that a pistol you are fighting with?

I had more or less the same experience. start, research rifle, get slaughtered.

now I have restarted and sit in two row of 5 gun turrets. those do get damaged, but I survived some more wave.

still balancing research between rushing lasers and upgrading turrets.

how does that attack vs armor thing works now?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

azoundria wrote:No I didn't have time to get a research lab and everything set up. I was only playing for about 18 minutes when all the medium biters came, and I managed to use walls to defend myself for about 6 minutes but it was pointless.

I think the medium biters also heal themselves, so it was nearly impossible to keep firing at the same one while placing walls. So my damage got nicely spread and effectively did nothing.
That is really strange, the red biter is supposed to start appearing after 2 hours or so, maybe the problem is, that you started to build and generated pollution very nearby the enemy base?
Anyway, these numbers need some balancing for sure.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Maybe you used a small starting area or no starting area?

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

haha I wanted easy start so I set start area biggest and enemy fre/size/richess lowest setting. nice fields with default setting, but I better tread carefully.

-Oh hi there big worm. *runs into forest*

Edit:
Gametime: 1h 20min
Not so bad. Only one small biter has attack me. I place furnaces and boilers in forest. I got couple miners that polutes bit the enemy spawners. I have seen faint red blinking over the chunk for while, but no major attack. I hope they do not plan to take me with one huge wave. :)

Edit2: uh oh couple mins later they got me... Damn base spawned next to center of my operation. Now I can watch them to destroy everythink or i activate "hand of god". :lol:
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

I tried to revenge my lost by spawning some troopers with lasers (15 dmg)
Not shown in video, but I end up dieing and killing my own troops more then biters
Power is in numbers. I just fail to control them properly. :lol:

(volume might be bit loud)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQUUzFhLk_E

edit:dang I totally forgot to test capsules
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

DoomOfMax
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DoomOfMax »

They're destroying all my tracks and all my poles :(
and there were zero pollution...

midnight109
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by midnight109 »

Well def could use some balancing to help get started.

Not sure if its intended, but seems once a base decided to go argo, its always on argo. In a few test runs trying to find ways to survive all these changes, when one base atks, usually detroys lots of stuff, shuts down whole thing, pollution drops to nada, and here they come again >.>

Think maybe some balancing ideas, since there made to argo based on pollution, make them target polution aspects, not the rest.

It seems the Boilers, and Steam generators make no pollution, but are usually always detroyed. This makes getting started a pain, them steam generators take a bit a iron to make and with them blown up and no power, no more automation, back to the pickaxe.
Not sure really yet how to manage to survive for long. Once they argo it seems its all over, but a trick or tip to getting started that works decent, but not all the time, scout out a area past your base so you have empty space
Build your stuff up with 1 power pole leading from the generators that supply the whole base. As soon as you see redish colors on the map for polution near the border or a block or so from a enemy base, pull that power pole. The base shuts down, pollution slowly drops away, put it back in and let your automations run awhile, pull again, more or less turn your base on and off lots times till you manage to get some serious designs in place, so far I havent come up with a design that does much but blow up like the rest of them.

Turrents work to a extent, but now that instead of targeting you, turrents, or labs, they are a pain to consider using since you now need a ring of walls defenses everywhere since they go after anything and everything

The Spawning new bases o_o PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no more spawns inside your area O-o their should be a bountry or something lol
Overall, the new add ons are sweet and the game is def gone from a walk in the park to holy marry mother of peril we are all going to die! :D Kinda funny but hay its true lol
I was working some on a attempt to make a mod to help regulate polution some, a means of cleaning up the polution, but dosent seem to be working well atm but I will keep playing with it some. I am thinking of something like research ways to make buildings polute less, or a new module for cleaner production, or just a new building that is a air filter system, it consumes power or power and water to clean the air.

Return to “Balancing”