Just a handfull of other ideas

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
midnight109
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Just a handfull of other ideas

Post by midnight109 »

First, a option for a craftable Mine area alarm or signal. If you have say out grown your first base raw materials, and went out and made a new coal mine some where that is now sending all its coal to your base to power the smelting and steam generators, if its far enough out, its hard to tell when thier going to go empty, so like with the smart inserter/chest you can set to only insert this item for this number have a option to mine and at a certain point of availible resources in a givin area, so you can connect all your coal mines together, and set to let you know when your down to 10k availble coal left so you know ahead of time to start looking for a new coal source or to go obliberate a few spawner bases that always seem to spawn ontop of the best piles

Second A gun car for the train or something to defend it since the spawns are all over seems half the time they spawn directly infront of the way its traveling so it runs them over and takes damage so having some way to defend the path to limit the damage so you dont blow up a locomotive a zillion miles from a base to rebuild since a huge atk wave started while you was in transit to a sub base or something.

Third a new map generator verify code to check the starting area to ensure thier is starter resources everytime you spawn a new map. dosent have to be a huge deposit but a few maps I made every stone deposit near the start was under a spawner I had to walk around for 6 game days to find stone to make my first burner, since the atks start at a given time, if the game wasent nice at generating resources away from mob spawners or near the start location and you lack either stone coal iron or copper you can be atked before you manage to build anything while out trying to find a sutable base, like something near enough water for a generator setup and to not spawn you in the middle of a ton of trees <.<

Fourth A data log kinda spreadsheet or window/gui to show power usage and creation/storage. Nothing worse then not having enough power and not being able to tell how much you are needing or where the problem is at, like not noticing a spawn of creepers last night in the dark came in from near your steam generators took out one of the pipes when they got stuck or what ever now a set of generators isnt running so power supply dropped, or took out a power pole somewhere and now half the base isnt geting power from the pole missing and you spend hours searching your base for problems before lights out and in the dark. So like a mini map option to show the general area or grid, and maybe a form of a log to show the last things detroyed by creepers, ie creeper destroyed small power pole at -147,68 so you can look it up on the map, see where its at and know where to go to fix the problem

Fifth usable radar. When you build the radar, let it show you a mini map where the spawners are located that are attacking your base, have each pass enlarge the search area or adding more radar enlarging the map area it shows or have it show you where resources are located at so when your growing your base you can find stuff without getting lost wondering in everydirection looking for some iron or something

Sixth Defualt filled in resource tab/quick bar on the bar so at the start you can start gathering and see how much you have of the basics to start building a base without spending a few mins to manualy set it up so easier to quickly get in to building a base and knowing what you have, thier is coal, logs, stone, copper and iron for raw materials and thier is enough bar space for all of them, and thier the basics to get started, so start off with them already set, and since no manual alot of players dont know how to set it up that way the middle mouse button.

Seventh Map Editor Resource Size area or brush size option. Preferable brush size or both, so editing the map is easier then one block at a time when painting for example or adding a resource, then when setting the resource amount instead of one block at a time to increase or decrease, set it to work the whole area near it, ie all the coal connected to the block your one, or one area, gets enlarged or decreased together instead of a block at a time.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Just a handfull of other ideas

Post by MF- »

Welcome to factorio forums!

I hope you aren't 'nother ssilk :) (Another person, posts many interesting--but--walls-of-texts on many topics)
Last edited by MF- on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

@1,3,5 These already have their threads, some of them decided upon!

@2 The locomotive should be able to handle many creepers. They don't spawn it the way, they deliberately jump under the wheels - "attack"
@4 I remember playing a game where the narrator voice said "<item_name>: structure destroyed".
Agreed, having this information available /somewhere/ could be useful.
Usually creepers attack only things that you deliberately put in their way.. Or when you are close, which makes them take unusual paths.
@6 New players are supposed to play the campaing/tutorial before hitting freeplay.
@7 sounds resonable

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

MF- wrote:Welcome to factorio forums!

I hope you aren't 'nother ssilk :) (Another person, posts many interesting--but--walls-of-texts on many topics)
Agree xD

when I go on a post like this, I think "OMG so long" but when I read it, and its interesting ... : )
Also I think that this should be in ideas and suggestions, but both sections are quite like the same

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

MF- wrote:I hope you aren't 'nother ssilk :) (Another person, posts many interesting--but--walls-of-texts on many topics)
Hmpf... :) Ok I try to keep me a little more calm... Only one big post per day... ;)

#4: for mines I would say it is easy to see after 3 games, that the field now gets empty, if you place the mines so that not everything goes out at once. In general I would say everything should be countable, but like in real life, detailed information costs something and it is important to know, which informations are more important than others, because you won't know everything.

#6: for the quick-bar I have meanwhile a very detailed idea, how it could work. But not yet. :P
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Balancing”