Radar scanning (and re-scanning) speed

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.

Re: Radar scanning (and re-scanning) speed

Postby mrvn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 am

You can see the rescanning quite clearly if you open the map and zoom out a bit. The rescanned chunks will become bright for a short time after scan.

Maybe instead of changing the scanning speed the scan pattern should be weighted to nearer chunks. For example scan the chunks just outside the always visible region twice as often as the farthest chunks.
mrvn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby Rseding91 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:33 am

mrvn wrote:You can see the rescanning quite clearly if you open the map and zoom out a bit. The rescanned chunks will become bright for a short time after scan.

Maybe instead of changing the scanning speed the scan pattern should be weighted to nearer chunks. For example scan the chunks just outside the always visible region twice as often as the farthest chunks.

The current system scans the oldest-scanned-chunk.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on IRC.
My Github page with my mods: https://github.com/Rseding91?tab=repositories
Find my mods on the mod portal: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Rseding91
Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Postby mrvn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:45 am

Rseding91 wrote:
mrvn wrote:You can see the rescanning quite clearly if you open the map and zoom out a bit. The rescanned chunks will become bright for a short time after scan.

The current system scans the oldest-scanned-chunk.

I know. Which means all chunks are scanned the same amount of time.

I'm saying that chunks near my base are more important to scan because if an alien spawns there it is a clear and present danger. While on the outskirts nothing bad will happen and fast detection isn't so important. So maybe use time-since-last-scan / distance-from-radar and scan the tile with the highest score.
mrvn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby Zavian » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:02 am

Mrvn: you could always add some more radars inside your base. Since much of their scan range will be permanently revealed by other radars, they will scan the remaining chunks much more frequently.
Zavian
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Postby mrvn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:43 am

Zavian wrote:Mrvn: you could always add some more radars inside your base. Since much of their scan range will be permanently revealed by other radars, they will scan the remaining chunks much more frequently.

Hmm. Would it actually cause a gradient like I suggested?

Say you have an infinite high base covered by a regular grid of radars. Then at the side the radar second nearest to the edge scans chunks near the base. But that then means the radar nearest to the edge skips those chunks and scans only chunks farther away. I guess it depends on the amount of overlap. If the inner radar overlaps the outer radars scan range by 50% then nothing changes. If the inner radar overlaps the outer radars scan range by 33% then it will scan tiles twice as often.

I guess you can also place even more radars inside and thin them out towards the outside to skew the scan rates even more. But making it a smooth gradient would require a lot of radars and then scanning speed and power required would be insane. The pattern for the corners would also be complex.

And what if you extend your base? Now you have to move all your radars.
mrvn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby quyxkh » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:57 pm

I agree the rescans aren't good as an active defense, they're too slow, but they make a great team with gun sentries. Many biter-expansion groups get distracted and killed by the ones I leave behind in wiped camps, enough that leakers don't get through fast enough to become any substantial threat before the rescan picks them up.
quyxkh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Postby Kazuar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:48 pm

Holy moly you guys/gals.

This thread made me realize how long I've had fun with this game while making me feel old.

I've actually posted in this thread 3 years ago.

What a time.
[Note: I'm actually sorry if my posts come off as rude; english is not my native language, and I'm not aware of all it's nuances. Please do point out my misadoptions in tone!]
Kazuar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Previous

Return to Balancing