Fluid tanks and tanker wagon

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Fluid tanks and tanker wagon

Post by Kelderek »

This is more of a nitpick than anything else, but I noticed that the new Fluid tanker train wagon has 3 separate tanks that each hold 25k units of fluid, which is the same amount as a single storage tank, but they are a lot smaller in size. The tanks on the fluid wagon appear to be roughly 2x2 in size, but the storage tank is 3x3. If they are different sizes, shouldn't they hold different amounts of liquid?

I would suggest lowering the 3 individual tanks on the fluid wagon to about 12k units and keep the storage tank the same as before
OR
keep the 3 tanks of the fluid wagon the same at 25k each but increase the amount of space in the storage tank to about 56k units.
(these numbers represent a 4:9 ratio for the volume of the space used - 2x2 vs 3x3)

If the storage tank was at least 37.5k and the fluid wagon remains unchanged, then you could load/unload a full fluid wagon to/from 2 storage tanks which would share the same width as the wagon. A ratio of 3:2 from fluid wagon to storage tanks for capacity would be ideal due to them having the same width for use at a station.

I like the fact that they are different sizes, but I think the numbers could line up better between the two.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Fluid tanks and tanker wagon

Post by AileTheAlien »

I don't know what the correct sizes would be, but I agree that the train tanks should hold less fluid, although for a different reason. That reason being, that it would match the tradeoff that cargo wagons have compared to chests - gain mobility, but lose cheap, dense storage. I'm not sure how barrels would fit into this; It's quite possible the whole set of fluid containers (or the ability for barrels to be put into containers) needs to be balanced.

Return to “Balancing”