[Request] The Deep - Graphics to travel between layers

The place to share your custom game graphics.
hooolm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Request] The Deep - Graphics to travel between layers

Post by hooolm »

Me and @feupeu is working on a mod codename "The Deep".
Concept
The world consists of many layers. You start on the top layer and you can "dig" down your way through layers of the planet. Each layer is a complete new world though pitch dark and filled with stone. Each layer in the world is exactly placed on top of eachother meaning that [120,303] in one layer is exactly above [120,303] on the layer below. You transfer yourself, items, energy, liquids and circuit signals using providers and requesters going up and down a layer, placing a provider and a linked requester is placed on the layer below or above you. And this is where we need your help!

Example usage of layers
  • I have a layer which i only use for LTN, transporting all my items.
  • I have a layer where i generate all my energy
  • I seperate my factorio into a new layer everytime my layer above becomes too messy
The request
The following description is our current idea of how the mod should work but any creative ideas is more than welcome!

Item types
We are looking for help to design the sprites, for the following items:
  • Layer chest (for items)
  • Layer tank (for fluids)
  • Layer pole (for energy)
  • Layer combinator (fir circuit signals)
  • Layer portal (for players)
Item variants
Each of these is either an upward going or a downward going direction, and for each there will be a provider and a receiver. In other words these items comes in pairs. Up provider will transfer to an Up requester. On the following illustration we currently have 3 layers, seeing pairs of providers and requesters that is transfering between the layers.
layer_illustration.png
layer_illustration.png (12.62 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
This means that to transport items we will 4 variants:
- Layer down chest provider
- Layer down chest requester
- Layer up chest provider
- Layer up chet requester
Sketches and current design ideas
Like mentioned we need 5 items with each 4 variations. The following sketches showcases the item types but as an instance as one of the variants. We would like our items to have a vanilla vibe to it, meaning a good old industrial look (any amazing ideas is more than welcome however)

For starters here is an overview sketch of the ideas for the items we need. Take not in the arrows marked on the items, they tell what way stuff is travelling and who is providing and requesting them.
overview.jpg
overview.jpg (385.04 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
The layer chest
This is our current idea for the layer chest here seen as its "Down provider"-variant.
down_provider_chest.jpg
down_provider_chest.jpg (434.23 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
We were inspired by a the vanilla steel-chest Image and some chiseled concrete on top marking the variant.
The layer tank
The next illustration is the "Layer down request tank". We were thinking of a huge industrial barrel like tank, during this sketch.
down_requester_tank.jpg
down_requester_tank.jpg (474.64 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
The layer pole
We think of the layer pole as a cool tesla coil, showcased here as its "Up provider"-variant.
up_provider_pole.jpg
up_provider_pole.jpg (457.34 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
We were greatly inspired by the Red alert 2 tesla coils see below:
tesla_coil.jpg
tesla_coil.jpg (9.99 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
The layer combinator
We see the layer combinator here as its "Up requester"-variant.
up_requester_combinator.jpg
up_requester_combinator.jpg (351.25 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
We were greatly inspired by the arithmetic combinators for this one. Instead of logical or mathematical symbols we intend to put on the "arrows" showing the variants.
Image'
The layer portal
We have not have any good ideas for this so much that we actually doodled something, but we have scouted existing teleporter mods like this:

This feature is also not that far along in the codebase as well. We deem it will work like a "vehicle", so when you go near the platform and press enter you teleport either up or down. So it should probably be some contraption on the ground you can walk over, and when not directly on top see the variant.
Disclaimer
We have not yet released the mod on the official mod site. But if you want to try it out you can get the development version right here:
https://github.com/feupeu/factorio-mod--the-deep/

mrudat
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Request] The Deep - Graphics to travel between layers

Post by mrudat »

You might be able to use the graphics from https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Surfaces or perhaps https://mods.factorio.com/mod/subterra ?

hooolm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by hooolm »

Thanks @murdat. Could be the graphics we were not able to find :shock: <3

hooolm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by hooolm »

We are still looking for posts. We found a decent "portal" (see below) but we would still like help with the rest, and if you have other ideas for the player portal they are also still welcome.
stairs-up.png
stairs-up.png (282.38 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
stairs-down.png
stairs-down.png (176.82 KiB) Viewed 3451 times

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

For player portals how about using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster_lift? This would also allow having the portal in the same spot in multiple layers. By entering on the left or right you pick which direction to go.

I also would like to have a lift for trains. This could be implemented as a train stop. You specify the lift to use in the schedule for the train. It then drives there and the mod gets an event when the train arrives. It then has to do some magic to have the train sink into the floor or rise into the ceiling and teleport it to the next surface. Then the train can take over and drive itself again.

For the rest I wonder how you plan to do the item, energy and signal transportation. From what I saw with factorissimo2 this is CPU intensive and simply doesn't scale well since the transfer has to be done in LUA on_tick.

Return to “Texture Packs”