[Done] Graphics for a Factorissimo replacement

The place to share your custom game graphics.
Sirenfal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[Done] Graphics for a Factorissimo replacement

Post by Sirenfal »

EDIT: Commissioned someone to make a building instead

I've created a replacement for Factorissimo with more features and much higher performance. I made this for myself and my friends but, I will, of course release it publicly soon after we've had a chance to test it on a playthrough thoroughly for bugs. (Huge thanks to MagmaMcFry for making the original mod, it's awesome and I hope Factorissimo 2 makes my mod look like garbage. I just didn't want to keep waiting for it to come out, I'm playing now :P)

Features:

- Factories can have names, which appear on both the building and the item when picked up
- Unlimited factories (no 255 limit)
- Future proofed for different sized factories and arbitrary numbers of factory connections, though the base mod will only have a 36x36 factory building
- Recursive factories (optional, disabled by default)
- Players can't be transported inside factories (all players are removed if a factory is picked up or destroyed)
- Factories don't work while picked up (all entities are frozen)
- Selective chest or liquid one-way connections
- Factories can connect directly to each other (inputs/outputs appear in the adjacent factory's associated slot)

While testing I used the factory building from the original mod. I'd like a replacement both because I don't want to steal graphics and because I can't unsee the fact that it's six assembly machines making up the roof.

Please match the same size as the original graphic, found here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Magma ... actory.png

I'd like it to look like it fits in among the vanilla buildings, and it has to have a door in the same middle area because that's where you enter the factory in both mods.

I think brown/gray tones probably make the most sense. Angel's ore refinery, etc I'm a huge fan of visually, so something like that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Sirenfal on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Request] Graphics for a Factorissimo replacement

Post by aubergine18 »

Off-topic: Is your code on github? I'm particularly interested in how you achieved this... "Factories can have names, which appear on both the building and the item when picked up"
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Sirenfal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sirenfal »

aubergine18 wrote:Off-topic: Is your code on github? I'm particularly interested in how you achieved this... "Factories can have names, which appear on both the building and the item when picked up"
It isn't but it will be. I can run through that part though. I've used a lot of other tricks and mechanical abuses like this to get several features working.

The buildings are research labs (that have no slots and aren't operable), and there are two different items: fre_factory, which is an item that stacks up to 10, and fre_factory_with_data which stacks only once.

fre_factory is the building you would actually get in the inventory: https://i.imgur.com/lHbqTRe.jpg

When you place a factory it's assigned the first numeric ID that isn't taken from 1 to INT_MAX as a name. That name is set to the factory building's entity.backer_name. As far as I know only labs and train stops support this property. This is obviously not what it was intended for, but it's extremely useful.

That looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/MayHL0c.jpg

Factories, when mined, do not drop an item. Instead, the mine event is caught and one of two things happens. If the factory is determined "empty" it's areas are cleared and recycled for new factories, and you get an fre_factory back (which will stack with other factories assuming the factory hasn't been damaged).

If the factory is *not* empty you'll get a fre_factory_with_data. This prototype is an item-with-label that has it's stack.label property set to the name of the factory you've picked up. When one of these is placed it still places the same entity as an fre_factory, but the code will lookup the existing factory and create a link to that instead of generating a new factory.

That looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/1e91UDv.jpg
Last edited by Sirenfal on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeanoa »

At least Refineries, Trains and Radars also have names. I think there was something more, but I don't remember.

Looking forward to a release of this mod, I'd like to give it a try!

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Very clever uses of storing/retrieving data!

Actually quite a few entities support backer_names (just most of them don't show it because they are nil) stone-furnace is one example

Alessandro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Alessandro »

Sirenfal, I also have began to working in a variant of this mod, to take advantage fo the energy and pollution efficency, but since I'm just a working drone my progress speed has been a bit appalling to said at least (even with speed modules level 3), so fell free to use my animations, if ever I finish the develop of the multilevel factorissimo with the blessing of MagmaMcFry I will not mind sharing graphics, tell me if you are interested to put some time in a pallete swap for the other levels or to finish the power plant.
Animated Factory
Animated Factory
Factor issimo.gif (182.11 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
I use this piece of code to add the animation in the original factorissimo.

Code: Select all

base_animation =
		{
			filename = "__Factorissimo__/graphics/entity/small-factory/small-factory-anim-2.png",
			priority="high",
			width = 210,
			height = 140,
			frame_count = 32,
			line_length = 8,
			shift = {0.0, -1.6}
		},
Attachments
Factorissimo Production factory Level 1
Factorissimo Production factory Level 1
small-factory-anim-2.png (654.76 KiB) Viewed 5403 times

PeteTheLich