[Request] Science Cost Tweaker

The place to share your custom game graphics.
UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Request] Science Cost Tweaker

Post by UberWaffe »

This is a request for graphics to replace the place-holder graphics currently in use in the experimental version (0.12.0) of the Science Cost Tweaker mod.

There is quite a list of images required, including some that will require animations.

Target Idea:
There are 4 new labs required, that are an upgrade chain.
The first can only do red science (electromagnetic experiments), the second can also do green science (+Chemical reactions), the third can also do blue science (atomic level experiments) and the last can also do purple science (quantum level studies by using biological processors).
So the idea is that these should look more and more complex, but (if possible) seem to get more and more addons as the tiers go up (you can see parts of the previous tier in the new one).

Preferred Art Style: Vanilla Factorio Style (but not required)
Size: Icons should be standard icon size (32x32 pixels). Labs entities art should scale up in size. (2x2, 3x3, 4x4, and 5x5 tiles for the respective tiers).

Graphics Required:
Lab Tier 1, Electromagnetic Research (Icon + animated 2x2 Tile entity)
Lab Tier 2, Electromagnetic & Chemical Research (Icon + animated 3x3 Tile entity)
Lab Tier 3, Electromagnetic, Chemical & Atomic Research (Icon + animated 4x4 Tile entity)
Lab Tier 4, Electromagnetic, Chemical, Atomic & Quantum Research (Icon + animated 5x5 Tile entity)

Science Pack Tier 1 Intermediate Product, Electromagnet Core: (Icon) Solid core made from iron.
Science Pack Tier 1 Intermediate Product, Electromagnet Coils: (Icon) Coils made from copper.

Science Pack Tier 2 Intermediate Product, Instruments: (Icon) Measurement and monitoring instrumentation.
Science Pack Tier 2 Intermediate Product, Microcircuits: (Icon) Tiny electronics used in making instruments.
Science Pack Tier 2 Intermediate Product, Micro-Wafer: (Icon) Raw wafer for etching into micro-circuits.
Science Pack Tier 2 Intermediate Product, Wafer-Stamp: (Icon) Large solid steel stamp used for stamping out a micro-wafer.
Science Pack Tier 2 Intermediate Product, Reaction-Nodes: (Icon) A sacrificial strip of electronic wires that react with the atmosphere and chemicals to test and analyze reactions.

Science Pack Tier 3 Intermediate Product, Femto Laser: (Icon) Array of tiny lasers that energise and manipulate atoms.
Science Pack Tier 3 Intermediate Product, Laser Emitter: (Icon) Batch of tiny laser emitters.
Science Pack Tier 3 Intermediate Product, Laser Focus: (Icon) Batch of tiny laser focus that work with laser emitters.
Science Pack Tier 3 Intermediate Product, Flash Fuel: (Icon) Fuel used to produce chemical lasers using laser emitters.
Science Pack Tier 3 Intermediate Product, Atomic Sensors: (Icon) Sensors to analyze atomic manipulation and interactions.

Science Pack Tier 4 Intermediate Product, Quantum Processor: (Icon) A living processors made from organic samples obtained from alien artifacts.
Science Pack Tier 3 Intermediate Product, Overclocker: (Icon) Tiny electronic circuits jammed into living processors to overclock them for use in experiments.

zangent
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Request] Science Cost Tweaker

Post by zangent »

I'll try my hand at this, but no promises!

zangent
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zangent »

I started working on the Electromagnetic research station, and although it's not done, I wanted to post my progress thus far.
The animation isn't done, but it would be the copper cylinder spinning.

Thoughts?

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

tl;dr: It already looks EPIC! :D

I really like it!

Looking forward to see what you end up with for animations. :)
I'd freak if you could make the animations seem like little bolts of lightning dancing about it.

I'd prefer if the next tier will be able to incorporate some of this 2x2 structure graphics into the 3x3 structure graphics, so keep that in mind if possible.
Regardless, this looks awesome!

I love the blue glowy cooling liquid. (Or at least that is what I quess it is.)
I also like the stone and wood incorporated into it, makes sense that the initial tier would be more basic materials and not advanced electronic-looking right off the bat.

EDIT: Also, thanks a lot for tackling this.

As for idle animation support. The normal labs do not have any idle animations I know of. (They only define a single frame for offline, so I'm very sure about this.)
If you really want to do idle support I'm all for it, but it certainly isn't expected. :P

ADKrig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ADKrig »

Hi! I also want to try to do some graphics. I begin Electromagnetic lab. What do you say about this?
Attachments
ico2 e lab.jpg
ico2 e lab.jpg (11.26 KiB) Viewed 25689 times
ico e lab.jpg
ico e lab.jpg (11.53 KiB) Viewed 25689 times
FACTORIO ELECTRO LAB.jpg
FACTORIO ELECTRO LAB.jpg (39.33 KiB) Viewed 25692 times

zangent
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zangent »

ADKrig wrote:Hi! I also want to try to do some graphics. I begin Electromagnetic lab. What do you say about this?
I'm not making the mod, but I think you beat me :P

ADKrig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ADKrig »

zangent wrote:
ADKrig wrote:Hi! I also want to try to do some graphics. I begin Electromagnetic lab. What do you say about this?
I'm not making the mod, but I think you beat me :P
Hey man, i just doing what I can :)

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

:shock:
* Rubs eyes *
:shock:
I... Wow.
I love it.

I can't wait to see more. :)

EDIT: I'll probably even use the "ico e lab.jpg" icon as a replacement icon for red science packs. That icon fits so much better.

ADKrig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ADKrig »

Oh, f_ck... Only now I understand idea, that every lab tier is not separete but every tier is addon to previous stage. Sorry, I need to make all over again ((( Yes... Can you say me all details about sprite sheet? I just dont know how make this, or I just can send you all animation images and you make sprite sheet by yourself.

P.s. sorry for my english :D

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

The standard lab entity.png has 33 frames (11 frames per row x 3 rows => 11 x 3 = 33).

The first frame (row 1, frame 1) is the idle frame (when the lab is off).

Frame 2 to Frame 33 (row 1, frame 2 -> row 3, frame 11) is the 32 animation frames.
As far as I can tell the animation shows at a rate of 20 frames per second (1 frame every 3 ticks).

But you don't have to stick to that exactly, though it should serve as a good guideline.

If you can't build the sprite sheet, you can post all the animation images and I will try and make the sprite sheet.

EDIT: Again, thanks @zangent and @ADKrig for making something. I can't make art like this. You guys rock.

zangent
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zangent »

I'm not much of an artist either, lol.
I'm more of a programmer, although I'm not very creative, so I never come up with anything to program

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

zangent wrote:I'm not much of an artist either, lol.
I'm more of a programmer, although I'm not very creative, so I never come up with anything to program
Im not an artist either and as you i like the programming part a little more, but honestly doing 3D-Modeling is actually quite fun and after some time i do think most people can get quite good at it(im not at that stage yet :( )
(its not yet finished as it is missing some of the smaller details and most of its wheelsets)
But one advice is actually to create concept arts, atleast i found it to be quite helpful to do(even though it looks horriffic)
Sorry for going off topic i can delete this post if you want UberWaffe ;)!
Last edited by jorgenRe on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

I don't think talking about art in the art / texture pack forum is particularly off-topic. ;)

Really nice looking underground mining crawler model, by the way. :)
Assuming it is for underground:
The only advice (from a realism point of view, so probably not relevant at all in the game world) is that underground miners typically have cutting / mining areas larger than their own body (i.e. so they can drill forward without needing to 'widen' the tunnel before moving.
I'd suggest making the mining drills / blades larger, and perhaps adding two on either side (so that it is wider).

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

UberWaffe wrote:I don't think talking about art in the art / texture pack forum is particularly off-topic. ;)

Really nice looking underground mining crawler model, by the way. :)
Assuming it is for underground:
The only advice (from a realism point of view, so probably not relevant at all in the game world) is that underground miners typically have cutting / mining areas larger than their own body (i.e. so they can drill forward without needing to 'widen' the tunnel before moving.
I'd suggest making the mining drills / blades larger, and perhaps adding two on either side (so that it is wider).
This one is rather digging up the ground :twisted:(you know the no hill thing) !
But a later version will include a drillbit that is wider than itself, but thats for a later version of the underground that includes a surface that is not a giant cave, but rather a surface filled with caves that biters love to live in (and evolve)!(how to stop them from burrowing into your base? Digging up the underground layer and placing down lots of underground walls!(why, well you will see in my next mod. Biters Evolved(or some other name ;) ))
The reason being why it drills like so is because the ground becomes so unstable after it has been dug up that no machine can be placed ontop of that place anymore and when considering it is so huge it has to have some stable ground ;)!
But its no problem increasing the size of the drillbit later ;)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

ADKrig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ADKrig »

UberWaffe wrote: EDIT: Again, thanks @zangent and @ADKrig for making something. I can't make art like this. You guys rock.
Thanks man. Sorry for delay, I just have a lot of work, in this days I present you all lab tiers.

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

ADKrig wrote:Thanks man. Sorry for delay, I just have a lot of work, in this days I present you all lab tiers.
No worries! Do it in your own time and in a manner that you enjoy. This is meant to be fun, not work. ;)

Return to “Texture Packs”