[MOD 0.12] Color Coding - Trains, Lights, and Concrete!

Topics and discussion about specific mods
d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12] Color Coding - Trains, Lights, and Concrete!

Post by d3phoenix »

vlczero wrote:Is there a way to contribute ( github or bitbucket ? I made some local changes and added a config option to disable trains if they are not needed or to save some video RAM.
I'm glad you're enjoying the mod :D

I haven't bothered to familiarize myself with github yet as I only have a couple of mods, and write code relatively rarely.

For now the easiest thing to do would be to zip up the modified files only and attach them here on a response so that I can integrate the feature. Thanks!

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Concrete rails with "toxic concrete" looks awesome :D

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by abregado »

May I disassemble and add some custom textures for my educational content?

Lishget
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lishget »

I have made a german translation for this mod:
de.zip
German Translation for 1.0.5
(724 Bytes) Downloaded 327 times
:)
Factorio Sprachverbesserung
Lishgets TMod

My Mods are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

abregado if I understand the license, you can do whatever you want with that mod. Copy and modify is allowed.

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by abregado »

It is still nice to ask :D

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

abregado wrote:May I disassemble and add some custom textures for my educational content?
Absolutely. MIT license is great for stuff like that!
Lishget wrote:I have made a german translation for this mod:
I will integrate this into the next version, thanks!

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

abregado wrote:May I disassemble and add some custom textures for my educational content?
You should grab the latest update; I've added some comments and options in config.lua that may be useful for your purposes.

If textured concretes are all you're after, you can now disable trains and lamps, then add your textures to the TEXTURE_CONCRETE_TABLE lines.

Add matching folders with your assets in /graphics/concrete/, and add names in /locale/en/en.cfg, and then you'll be good to go.

You can then also delete the lamp and train sprites to save file size for your educational distribution.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by abregado »

wow, awesome! thanks for making it so easy. The plan is to use it for instructions and recipes in the world. Since the levels will be multiplayer its kind of tricky to use the exisiting 'pause with ui popup' method.

The lamps however are awesome and will come in handy when I move on to competitive content!

Sadly, Ive been instructed not to use trains. It turns out young kids these days don't like trains :( WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?! *cries*

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

abregado wrote:The plan is to use it for instructions and recipes in the world
I'd advise against this.

The concrete tiles are going to be a pain to work with to do any large scale textures, especially ones that need to have coherent text on them.

Ground tiles like concrete are automatically tiled by the game in a somewhat unpredictable manner, and i think it will get very frustrating trying to display any text with them.

I think you will have better luck by creating a new modded entity, perhaps based on a power pole or lamp, and simply giving it a large texture with all of the text pre-rendered onto it.

You could then place this textured object in the world as a big "signpost". A separate entity type would be needed for each set of instructions. You can set the mining time very high or make them non-mineable in the final release, so that players can't remove them.

By minimizing the collision mask and setting them to a low render priority, you can probably make it so that the player runs seamlessly across the top of them as well, if desired. (Though I've never tested that last part)

Doing it this way you wouldn't need recipes or item groups at all either, only an item and an entity definition, just enough to be able to spawn in the entities with the console.

Hopefully that's clear enough, if not, well, I'm pretty busy at the moment but in a week or two I might be able to build something custom to fit your needs. If you'd like to discuss further, please send me a PM. Good luck! :D

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

d3phoenix wrote:
abregado wrote:The plan is to use it for instructions and recipes in the world
You could then place this textured object in the world as a big "signpost".
Someone made a mod for exactly this fairly recently.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I'd really like to see a smaller version of this mod, with only the small coloured Lamps and nothing else...

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

Peter34 wrote:I'd really like to see a smaller version of this mod, with only the small coloured Lamps and nothing else...
With 1.0.6, you should look in config.lua for options to disable each component. I haven't looked myself, but the changelog says that they were added.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Vin wrote:
Peter34 wrote:I'd really like to see a smaller version of this mod, with only the small coloured Lamps and nothing else...
With 1.0.6, you should look in config.lua for options to disable each component. I haven't looked myself, but the changelog says that they were added.
How do you imagine that will work in multiplayer? I have to explain to each player to please go in and modify the lua code?!?!?!

Damrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Damrus »

Or you (peter34) could just. you know... share your version of the mod?

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

not even the whole mod - just the config.lua.

reddutton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by reddutton »

bug in 1.0.5 presumed to be in 1.0.6 with only change added was new language you can gain unlimited trains for free with a lv 3 assembler not tested with other assemblers

repo steps

place lv 3 assembler
select recipie for colored train
see 2 trains in the output
pull out trains
see the 2 trains still in output
thy may be stupid but thy am smart (reddutton 2006 seconlife)

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

reddutton wrote:bug in 1.0.5 presumed to be in 1.0.6 with only change added was new language you can gain unlimited trains for free with a lv 3 assembler not tested with other assemblers

repo steps

place lv 3 assembler
select recipie for colored train
see 2 trains in the output
pull out trains
see the 2 trains still in output
This is a bug in vanilla Factorio and will be fixed on next release.

See https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 30&t=15106

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

Vin wrote:This is a bug in vanilla Factorio and will be fixed on next release.
Thanks for this. I was about to be very, very confused...
This isn't the first time this has been requested. I plan on adding a lights-only download option with the next version, which will hopefully also add colored stone paths.

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of switching jobs so I haven't had time to work on mods or even play the game recently. It's going to be a month or more before I'll be able to work on it.

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

d3phoenix wrote:Unfortunately I'm in the middle of switching jobs so I haven't had time to work on mods or even play the game recently. It's going to be a month or more before I'll be able to work on it.
I guess this is the wrong time to feature request then, but have you considered colored walls as well?

Hope your work goes well. New jobs are always stressful for one reason or another.

Return to “Mods”