[MOD 0.12] Color Coding - Trains, Lights, and Concrete!

Topics and discussion about specific mods
FalcoGer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12] Color Coding - Trains, Lights, and Concrete!

Post by FalcoGer »

How does coloring actually work?
So you craft the locomotives from the standard one and they have color. How do you recolor them? Do you just 'mine' them and get the original back? That'd be the most ideal solution i think. (Rather than having a million recipes)
Also a proposal, if at all possible:
Also would it be possible to change the color of a light with the wire network?
Like have one light be able to use all the colors, and select one depending on the state of the network? Have a nice gui along with it to add conditions.
1 Be red when copper = 0
2 be green when iron plates > 0
3 be orange when ironplates = 0
[add condition]
adding a condition would allow to choose a color and a circuit condition.
it would be prioritized and choose the first color from the top at which the condition becomes true. if none of them are, the lamp would be off.
in this example the light
would be red with no copper, regardless of the iron state
and green with iron and copper
and orange with copper but no iron

this would allow to use only one type of lamp for all colors and switching of lights in different situations.

if it's not possible to change the light directly, maybe it is to swap out the entity and reconnect the wire by script, saving the conditions. would probably lag horribly with large amounts though...
unfortunately i have no modding experiences.

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

You're correct about getting the uncolored locomotive back when you mine it. The same is true for concrete.

Changing the color of the light isn't supported by Factorio natively. D3 can give you a much more accurate answer on whether it's possible to do via script, but my gut reaction is that it would be a convoluted workaround for little benefit when you can just place three lamps next to each other and have the correct color on for the correct signal.

FalcoGer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FalcoGer »

I gave it a try but I encountered the following problem:
Together with waitex hd texture pack, even with all textures disabled in the waitex config, my vram isn't sufficient. When I tried deleting waitex from the mod folder, the game would then crash after loading the sprites at 89% after starting the game. While with waitex it would load completely but the weird texture disappearing bug happens. To me it seems that there is an undocumented dependency.
I narrowed it down to this mod, everything works fine when this one is removed.
Log

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

FalcoGer wrote:Also would it be possible to change the color of a light with the wire network?
Sorry, this would be very complicated and bug-prone to do. I recommend just setting up separate lights of each color. The mod is MIT licensed, so if you want to take a shot at making it work, be my guest.
FalcoGer wrote:Together with waitex hd texture pack, even with all textures disabled in the waitex config, my vram isn't sufficient. When I tried deleting waitex from the mod folder, the game would then crash after loading the sprites at 89% after starting the game. While with waitex it would load completely but the weird texture disappearing bug happens. To me it seems that there is an undocumented dependency.
Right now trains don't have tint masks, so the color cannot be changed in software. I actually have to create separate recolored sprite sheets for each, and this uses a TON of VRAM, on the order of 200-300MB after decompression. I'm not sure how WaiTex works, but if it's trying to scale up the trains... it could be even worse.

Try extracting the mod so that it runs from a folder instead of a ZIP. You can then go into /prototypes/config.lua and set ENABLE_TRAINS = false, which will save quite a bit of VRAM. (The lamps and concrete don't use anywhere near as much).

Windows notepad likes to mangle line endings, so I recommend getting Notepad++ to do the edit. (it's free)

As far as the crash is concerned you may want to report it to the devs. I would think that factorio would actually pop up and say "out of VRAM" if that's what's going on, but I'm not sure.

Alexs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alexs »

Here are some ideas for their cool mod:
- Illuminated letters, numbers, arrows for railway stations, industrial estates ...
- Ability to set Vanilla Trees

mrhenryford
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mrhenryford »

I've discovered a (pretty handy) bug - when I place an assembler and choose any colored concrete recipe, the assembler will immediately fill up with 20 concrete blocks of that color, no need to insert regular concrete or even connect it to electricity. If I connect an inserter that transfers from the output slot to a chest it will be empty after removing the 20 blocks, but if I shift-click it into my inventory the output slot still shows 20 blocks giving me an unlimited supply of colored concrete.

I understand you're pretty busy at the moment, so by all means take your time fixing this as I'll be pretty busy too - I'm going to paint this planet red! :mrgreen:

Edit: This happens with colored lamps and trains as well.

reddutton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by reddutton »

mrhenryford wrote:I've discovered a (pretty handy) bug - when I place an assembler and choose any colored concrete recipe, the assembler will immediately fill up with 20 concrete blocks
this is a known issue with the base 12.# files
thy may be stupid but thy am smart (reddutton 2006 seconlife)

berni1212
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by berni1212 »

Idk why but if i instal the New version of Color Coding i get Massiv lagg spikes ingame.
Anyone know why ?
Sorry for my bad English ! i will not remove it !
WIP Test MODS
RailTanker [MP WIP]

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

If you want to use it in Factorio 0.12.8
change lines 60 to 63 in config.lua to

Code: Select all

CRAFTING_TIME_CONCRETE      = 0.0011
CRAFTING_TIME_LAMPS         = 0.0011
CRAFTING_TIME_TRAINS        = 0.0011

NamasteLH
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by NamasteLH »

Choumiko wrote:If you want to use it in Factorio 0.12.8
change lines 60 to 63 in config.lua to

Code: Select all

CRAFTING_TIME_CONCRETE      = 0.0011
CRAFTING_TIME_LAMPS         = 0.0011
CRAFTING_TIME_TRAINS        = 0.0011
Thanks! :)

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

Hotfix released: v1.0.7 works with 0.12.8. Original post has been updated.

LuziferSenpai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LuziferSenpai »

Ähm yea, if you choose one of this recipes in a Assembler you get the Item for free ;) so you can cheat really OP. Pls fix thanks.
Coding is awesome!
Animes are love!
Factorio is life!

My MODs:
Click

Greetz,

Senpai

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

I like it and also hate it. Because of the need to load even more sprites. I wonder besides GPU Memory if there is much performance hit on so many models.

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

CookieGamerTV wrote:Ähm yea, if you choose one of this recipes in a Assembler you get the Item for free ;) so you can cheat really OP. Pls fix thanks.
This isn't a problem with the mod, it's a bug in the base game that has been fixed in recent patches. Please make sure you're running the latest version of Factorio.

Colossus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colossus »

Would you consider adding support for the MK2, MK3, and armored trains in Bob's Mods? I had all my trains color-coded, and went to upgrade to the next set of trains, but couldn't keep my coloring :(

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

Colossus wrote:Would you consider adding support for the MK2, MK3, and armored trains in Bob's Mods? I had all my trains color-coded, and went to upgrade to the next set of trains, but couldn't keep my coloring
I'm not planning on adding support for anything but the vanilla game in my mods. (I don't use the big overhaul mods myself, and supporting them would add quite a bit of extra work and testing requirements to each release.)

This mod is MIT licensed, so if you would like to work on a bob's mod compatible version, feel free to take apart and reuse anything you find here.

Colossus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colossus »

Fair enough, I'll try my hand at making a mod for this.

Have you considered adding color options to the cargo wagons?

silver_26
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silver_26 »

please keep this mod uptodate ( 12.20 ) and upcoming steam release
i realy like this mod
thay should make this stock game...

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

silver_26 wrote:please keep this mod uptodate ( 12.20 ) and upcoming steam release
Due to the way that the mod works, very little version-dependent code is present. It should continue working unless the devs change something significant with the way mods load or the way crafting recipes work.

Unfortunately I have not had much time for games or modding lately, but I will probably be back in time for 0.13. Even if not, the mod is MIT licensed, and anyone in the community is more than welcome to patch it or modify it for newer versions. It should be very easy to maintain with the way I have it structured.

TRauMa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TRauMa »

Itook the liberty to make a trainless version for those using WaiTex and/or concerned about file size/gfx memory. Licence remains MIT.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p7iu12gffsjf ... 7.zip?dl=0

Return to “Mods”