[outdated] Production tree

Outdated stuff. Maybe someone can learn from it.
sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[outdated] Production tree

Post by sparr »

So, I've written a small lua program that takes all the recipe files and builds a production tree out of them (and gets item names from the locale files).

I'm still trying to get graphviz to render it nicely, but it's at least readable now.

http://i.imgur.com/1IPqTCl.png

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Production tree

Post by immibis »

I never realized wood only has 4 uses (plus fuel).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Nice. :)

You know that: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... tsheet.jpg ?
Immibis, anything against to put it also into the wiki?

Some suggestions also:
- I think it makes more sense to have it from the other directtion: For every item a small tree, which completely shows, what's needed to create that single item.
- Would you share the sourcecode how you generated it?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

I think it's a bit pointless to put it in the wiki if it doesn't explain anything, but there's no reason not to put it there.

Rens2Sea
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Rens2Sea »

ssilk wrote: - I think it makes more sense to have it from the other directtion: For every item a small tree, which completely shows, what's needed to create that single item.
A bit like this?
Screenshot
It's something i've been working on.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

immibis wrote:I think it's a bit pointless to put it in the wiki if it doesn't explain anything, but there's no reason not to put it there.
I think it is currently better than nothing. Remember, this is alpha. Anything, which helps is ok. :)

@Rens2Sea: exactly. I think this kind of description is much more useable, because you never look: oh, what can I do with iron, you always look: what do I need (not meet) to make that?
Its something I've been working on.
In the end this must be auto generated in the game or on a website, because it must work for mods, too.
Last edited by ssilk on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Rens2Sea wrote:It's something i've been working on.
Looks great!

Rens2Sea
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Rens2Sea »

ssilk wrote:In the end this must be auto generated in the game or on a website, because it must work for mods, too.
Yeah, right now they are all made with paint. :oops:
Would be nice to make it into a little tool that mod developers can use to create recipe images for their threads.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

What I wanted to say: Really very, very nice, but don't push too much effort in that, because the next release will come and then much things changes. I would make just a very provisional version.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

immibis wrote:I never realized wood only has 4 uses (plus fuel).
Ditto. Also, I did not expect to need coal in my production lines until I got to the point of making plastic. I'd have loved to have known about that in advance while planning my primary resource conveyor system.
ssilk wrote:You know that: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... tsheet.jpg ?
- I think it makes more sense to have it from the other directtion: For every item a small tree, which completely shows, what's needed to create that single item.
- Would you share the sourcecode how you generated it?
I did see the cheatsheet in the Friday Facts a while back. I want to make mine more condensed like that.
I will see about generating an all-items recipe-page like you describe. It will be a little more complicated, but not much.
I will share my source code soon!
Rens2Sea wrote:A bit like this?
Screenshot
It's something i've been working on.
This is exactly one of the sorts of views I want to generate automatically!
ssilk wrote:What I wanted to say: Really very, very nice, but don't push too much effort in that, because the next release will come and then much things changes. I would make just a very provisional version.
Changes and mods are why I want to automate this process. I just click a button when 0.9.1 comes out and this whole thing gets re-generated.

Nemoder
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemoder »

Looks like you are making some good progress on the automated system!
Here's my hand drawn one with the dia source if anyone wants to play with it too:
http://i.imgur.com/qrEpXjb.png

Source factorio-chart.zip

Dia http://dia-installer.de

Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Nemoder wrote:Looks like you are making some good progress on the automated system!
Here's my hand drawn one with the dia source if anyone wants to play with it too:
Your image looks awesome but you should definitely not be distributing the game's assets with your source. Users only need to put factorio.dia in [Installation_Directory]\data\base\graphics and it will load the icons from their installation.

Nemoder
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemoder »

Your image looks awesome but you should definitely not be distributing the game's assets with your source. Users only need to put factorio.dia in [Installation_Directory]\data\base\graphics and it will load the icons from their installation.
I wondered about that but I wasn't sure how well it would work across platforms and I figured it is only the icon files and they are publicly available on the wiki anyway.

Return to “Archive”