ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Tools for search and installing new mods as well as starting Factorio.
For dedicated server handling see Multiplayer Tools
Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory 1.8.6 released

Post by Artentus »

• Improved the update notification to include the changelog.
  • Optimized loading of the online mod list.
  • Installed deprecated mods are now shown in the online list.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Introducing ModMyFactory portable version

Post by Artentus »

Starting with version 1.8.6 I will now also make a portable version available.
The portable version generally has the exact same features, however all files that are usually stored in '%appdata%\ModMyFactory' will be stored in the application folder and location options in the settings have been removed as they are also stored in the application folder.

There are a few things to note about the portable version:
  • The application requires write permission in its installation folder, so do not place it in the Program Files folder.
  • When moving between different computers, any stored login credentials will be lost as the encryption depends on the local user profile. As to not compromise security this cannot be changed.
  • When having the Steam version selected at the time of moving between computers, Steam installations on both source and target computers may be damaged. If you want to switch between computers first make sure you remove the Steam version.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Post by Artentus »

Quick heads up. For some reason the executable in the portable archive was broken when I first uploaded it.
I have now been made aware of this and have recompiled and reuploaded the archive.

hcoutdopi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hcoutdopi »

I started playing with Modmyfactory recently and was able to create a few modpacks and links. however, when I tried to create link for Whistle Stop Factories, somehow 3 5dim mods (core, ore, Bob's function library) and RSO were added to the new link i tried to create, even I double and triple that they were not selected. all my other links (dangOreus, Darkstar utilities, etc) were fine.

I am new with this utilitity, tried to trouble shoot for a day and no clue, hope someone can help.

Thanks!
EDIT: found my issue, I have checked "also activate optional dependencies" under "Mod dependencies" in the settings which caused the issue, uncheck the box and issue is resolved.
Last edited by hcoutdopi on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Edit: alright, nice you were able to resolve it.

When starting a link ModMyFactory enables all mods inside the specified modpack. Note that if the modpack contains other modpacks all mods contained in those other modpacks will also be enabled. This works recursively so even mods in modpacks that are nested 3 or more layers deep are enabled. First make sure those mods are not contained in any of the nested modpacks and then make sure the link is actually starting the correct modpack.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

i just found another special edge case .... :-)

after downloading DivOresity, i get a warning on pushing "start game" that there are missing dependencies. the missing dependency in this case seems to be "!rso-mod" which means that "rso-mod" should NOT be enabled, but modmyfactory seems to require a mod "!rso-mod" (with a leading "!" in its name) to be enabled to avoid that message ...

the line from info.json :

Code: Select all

"dependencies": ["base >= 0.4.1", "?dangOreus", "!rso-mod" ]

ps1: to more easily find missing dependencies, would it be possible to somehow list them instead of only giving a general warning? when you give such a warning, you probably should have access to the names of those mods too ?
for missing dependencies on downloaded and not downloaded mods, you have excellent means in the meantime, showing all those mods and even being able to download all of them automatically, but when it comes to which mods are enabled or not enabled, i only know of that general warning and then have to check one mod after the other to see which might be the culprit.

ps2: there are bright and dimmed yellow "!" triangles. what exactly do they mean (especially the dimmed ones) ?
bright = downloaded but disabled, and dim = optional and not downloaded ?

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Thanks for telling me, I was not aware mods had this options (seems to not be used very often as none of my mods do).

Uni has started again for me so I can't continue pumping out updates like I did over the last two months. I will see how fast I can solve this. I also had some reports over on GitHub.

SkrillzPlayz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SkrillzPlayz »

Dark Theme? plz

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

I'll put it on my list, but it may not be as straight forward as one would think.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory 1.9.0pre1 released

Post by Artentus »

• Added proper handling for inverted mod dependencies.
  • Added theme support (light and dark theme available now).
  • Removed autosaves from the save selection when creating a link.
  • Fixed crash when adding Factorio from folder.
  • Fixed bug that caused deactivated releases in the online mods window to be selected.
In addition to that the 1.9 full release will also contain support for mod settings. The majority of that code is already in this pre release but I have locked the feature as it's not actually functional inside the game.

Henduluin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Henduluin »

Hey there!

I'd love to give your manager a try, but no matter what I do I cannot log in to the mod database. It just gives me a generic "Login failed!" error message, so I honestly couldn't tell you what the problem is exactly. I can log into the just fine to the website just fine, but your manager is not having any of it :(

Tried both the stable and the pre-release, but neither works. Even tried disabling my AV/Firewall, but no effect.

Any ideas?

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Is your Factorio license linked to your account? You can only download mods if the server can verify that you own the game. If you bought the game on Steam or GOG your license will not be linked automatically, you need to manuelly enter your key at https://factorio.com/profile.

Henduluin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Henduluin »

Aha. I thought it was asking for the username/pw I use for the mod database/forum, not the main site. In hindsight this makes a lot more sense.

It works now, thanks!

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Oh ok. If this is confusing I will add clarification to the wiki.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

after updating to 1.9.0pre1, i can no longer start MMF :-(
because the startIndex is larger than the length of the string in System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)

btw: i have no idea about your source or languages and utilities you used, but most implementations of "substring" that i know simply return an empty string or nil when attempting to get a substring "behind" the end of a string, allowing parsing loops until substring="" or until substring=nil. this implementation seems to prefer to be more strict about all parameters and requires you to do the checks yourself in advance ...
crashlog

back to 1.8.6, MMF works again, but still has a problem (that it already had before the update) with at least one mod:
on the mod portal i found Usage Detector, but when trying to download it with MMF, i couldn't find it in the list. finally i downloaded it directly from the mod portal to my mods/0.16 directory and started MMF again, and suddenly that mod now was listed in the downloadable mods list. to me that looks as if the mod was treated as a deprecatd mod (although it is new and not deprecated) and thus was not shown at first, but when it existed in the mod directory it was shown like all already downloaded deprecated mods in new versions of MMF.
no idea whether that is an error in MMF (that would mean that it filters that mod from the complete list, but why should it do that?), or in the mod portal (accidentally treating some mods as deprecated although on the mod portal they are not shown with the big "deprecated" mark).

edit: one hour later, one new mod on the portal, and the same problem as above, this time with Rail Tools ...

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

The crash is caused by mod settings. Extracting a mods settings is not trivial, and I have found some mods format their files very differently than most mods do, which is what is probably causing this issue as well.
If you can provide me with a complete mod list (or even better a modpack file with all your mods so I have an easier time downloaading) I can identify the culprit mod and take a look at how the settings are formatted.

As to those mods. Rail Tools shows up in my list just fine. Maybe a delay in how fast the API is updated with new mods?
I can't however find Usage Detector, and I don't see any apparent reason why. The API does list this mod and it can't be an incorrect filter inside MMF because you are able to see it when you have it installed. Leads me to believe MMF somehow fails to read this mod from the API, however that could happen.
Edit: fixed. MMF indeed did not read the last API page derp.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

Artentus wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:49 am
The crash is caused by mod settings.
which info does MMF get from mod settings? i thought all relevant infos would be from the API or in the mod's info.json ...
or is this in preparation for saving and restoring mod settings when enabling and disabling mods so that settings don't get lost when switching between different setups and maps ? :-)
Artentus wrote:
If you can provide me with a complete mod list (or even better a modpack file with all your mods so I have an easier time downloaading) I can identify the culprit mod and take a look at how the settings are formatted.
that would be quite some work :-)
AllMyDownloadedMods.fmp
i have downloaded a lot(!!!) of mods (all that ever looked at least remotely interesting) and thus i have 660+ mods (one third out of almost 2000 mods for 0.16 on the portal) in my mod directory, of which "only" 50 to 150+ are enabled (depending on map and/or what i am testing).
that's also why I'm eagerly waiting for improvements in factorio's handling (eg saving and restoring) of mod settings and mostly of hotkey settings (in 0.17+) ...
Artentus wrote:
... Leads me to believe MMF somehow fails to read this mod from the API, however that could happen.
Edit: fixed. MMF indeed did not read the last API page derp.
a favorite error done by many people :-)
starting a loop or ending a loop one too early or too late, or doing loops 0-based vs 1-based, etc ...

thanks for the fast fix, although it will probably take some more time until i can use it
(until the fix is published and also includes the fix to the crash).

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Anson wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:54 am
or is this in preparation for saving and restoring mod settings when enabling and disabling mods so that settings don't get lost when switching between different setups and maps ? :-)
That's what I'm trying to do. However it has turned out to be even more complicated than I had imagined. As it stands right now I can not make any predictions on how long it will take, but I can tell you that I have been working on it for some weeks now.
Anson wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:54 am
thanks for the fast fix, although it will probably take some more time until i can use it
Considering the current state of the mod settings support I will probably just release this and some other fixes as 1.9 full release with mod setting support completely disabled. I'll just have 1.9 be the release for theme support and move mod settings to 1.10 instead. Expect 1.9 some time tomorrow.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

Artentus wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:44 am
However it has turned out to be even more complicated than I had imagined.
As it stands right now I can not make any predictions on how long it will take, ...

Considering the current state of the mod settings support I will probably just release this and some other fixes as 1.9 full release with mod setting support completely disabled.
mod settings is a quite difficult subject, even more so when different maps shall get different settings (since MMF doesn't have any map support yet, and i can't imagine how you can start factorio from MMF with a specific map and with specific map-dependend mod settings when the map is only selected later in factorio ...).
to me, hotkey settings would probably be more important so that i don't always get conflicts after disabling/deleting and re-enabling/re-installing some mod. it would already be a big help if i can set all hotkeys for all mods that i use and factorio never forgets them, even when i delete and re-install a mod.

but at least the hotkey definitions will change in 0.17, and we don't know what will happen to the hotkey settings and to the mod settings. hopefully it won't take too long until 0.17 is released (maybe just before Xmas like 0.16 ?) and thus i gladly will wait for MMF to include all that support when i can at least use it normally (with all the bugfixes and other improvements) until then ...

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Anson wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:13 pm
and i can't imagine how you can start factorio from MMF with a specific map
Take a look at the options when creating a link then. ;)

Regarding applying the settings, I had a modpack-based approach in mind. I am currently creating an inheritance model for mod settings, you'll be able to define default settings for all mods individually and then each modpack can overwrite those default settings for each mod inside.

Return to “Mod and installation managers”