ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Tools for search and installing new mods as well as starting Factorio.
For dedicated server handling see Multiplayer Tools
Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Post by Anson »

thanks !

> I can also add the dependencies to the context menu very easily.

would it also be possible to add "View Online" to this popup menu, so that i don't have to go the long route via "download mod > searching the mod > View Online" (or via "open mod portal > searching the mod name > selecting from a list of matching strings") when i need to look up some details or description of a mod ?

> I have also identified the problem with Logistic Carts.
> Apparently the mod author decided to put a second info.json file inside his mod.
> And while this second one doesn't do anything its existance is already enough to screw with my code.

thanks again.
i just simply deleted that file in the template subdirectory of the mod and now MMF properly finds and lists the mod on the left side.
I also posted this "bug in the zip" to that mod's forum page

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Well, it's technically not out of spec to have that seconds file in there. I'd rather not bother mod authors with my own mistakes. It will be fixed in the next version.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

I have some bad news sadly.

While refactoring some code I noticed that downloading Factorio is no longer possible. Reason seems to be that the login page on factorio.com is now protected by reCaptcha.
I understand why this was added, but sadly this makes it impossible for me to reenable this functionality. I can't even find a way to incorporate a reCaptcha into a .Net application but even if I could it wouldn't work as reCaptchas are bound to private keys.
I also do not know of any other way of downloading Factorio since it's the only thing that doesn't have an API.

I'll try to reach the devs while working on other things and hopefully I will have a response before I'm done.
However as it stands this functionality will have to go.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Artentus wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:10 pm
While refactoring some code I noticed that downloading Factorio is no longer possible. Reason seems to be that the login page on factorio.com is now protected by reCaptcha.
I understand why this was added, but sadly this makes it impossible for me to reenable this functionality. I can't even find a way to incorporate a reCaptcha into a .Net application but even if I could it wouldn't work as reCaptchas are bound to private keys.
I also do not know of any other way of downloading Factorio since it's the only thing that doesn't have an API.
viewtopic.php?p=378324#p378324 :)
HanziQ wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:14 am
You can now download releases using 'https://factorio.com/get-download/0.16. ... ken={token}' similar to the mod portal.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Oh, very nice, thank you.
Is there also a way to get a list of available versions though? I could let the user input the version number but that's a bit unintuitive.

Edit: I can use the public demo download page to get the most important versions, but not all of them. Well, it'll have to do.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Dokkodo wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:37 pm
I've downloaded ModMyFactory and I am getting crashes pretty regularly when I try to download things from the mod portal.
I have new information on your problem. Together with another user on GitHub I leaned this crash happens when you are trying to log in using an account that doesn't have a game license connected to it. The mod portal only allows accounts with license to download mods.
If you bought the game on Steam or GOG you are required to activate your key on factorio.com or you will not be able to download mods.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory 1.8.0 released

Post by Artentus »

• Improved how Factorio versions are managed: there can now be multiple installations of the same version, and every installation can be given a custom name.
  • Links have been changed to make use of the new naming system. Old links may now be non-functional, however links created from now on will not be broken by updates anymore (they do break when you change the name of the corresponding Factorio installation).
  • The Steam version of Factorio can now be added automatically with no need to select the installation directory anymore. If you had the Steam version added previously you will be required to re-add it once after updating.
  • Added more context menu options.
  • Added dependency warnings for mods inside modpacks.
  • Fixed downloading of Factorio, which had been broken due to changes to the website.
  • Fixed a crash that was caused by trying to log in with an account that doesn't own a Factorio license.
  • Fixed a problem with certain mod dependencies.
  • Fixed a crash related to improper loading of some mods.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory 1.8.1 released

Post by Artentus »

• Added some missing progress windows and error messages in the Version Manager.
  • Fixed that downloading Factorio would show incorrect versions to select.
  • Fixed that MMF would allow non-unique Factorio names in certain situations.
  • Fixed that links targeting the "Latest installed version" would use an incorrect version name.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory 1.8.2 released

Post by Artentus »

• Added context menu options to activate mod dependencies.
  • Added drag and drop support for Factorio ZIP archives in the Version Manager.
  • Fixed a bug where deleted Factorio versions would still count towards the unique names.
  • Removed an obsolete warning message on link creation.
  • Fixed --factorio-version command line argument not working.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory 1.8.3 released

Post by Artentus »

• Added a dependency list for each mod.
I currently can't find any more/don't have any more reported bugs and my roadmap is completely empty.
Once Factorio 0.17 drops this may change, however until then I will regard ModMyFactory as feature-complete. I will of course keep my eye on any problems that may come up.

I've also been working on bringing the wiki up to date as most of the information was still based on 1.5.12. This will hopefully be finished within the next few days.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

cool artentus, now you can get some well deserved actual factorio play time :)
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

:P It is true, I have invested more time into this than into the game in the past two months. But it's not like I would do this if I didn't enjoy it so no worries.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory 1.8.4 released

Post by Artentus »

• Fixed an issue where having a mod installed that is not available on the mod portal was preventing other mods from being updated.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

on downloading mods, the filter for factorio version is nice, but could you please add another filter whether to include deprecated mods ?

i have some such mods which are marked deprecated because they really are deprecated (but i still want to see a description, check which version i have, or maybe download another version of them), and i also found some mods which probably are not really deprecated but are shown as deprecated (maybe because the mod author set it up badly, or because he no longer supports the mod in the future while the mod is currently still running fine), etc

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

What mods are you talking about exactly?

There is no official way to mark a mod as deprecated, neither with a tag nor any other way. There are very few mods in the list that I manually blacklisted because they were intentionally made unusable by their authors (e.g. the title had been changed to a single dot, or the title and description had been changed to referr to a new mod). I did this because these would usually show up at the very top of the list, cluttering the UI.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory 1.8.5 released

Post by Artentus »

• Improved the behaviour when importing modpacks: mods that are already installed will no longer be downloaded and will also not cause warning messages.
  • Improved behaviour of dragging and dropping mods from Windows Explorer to ModMyFactory: the Explorer will no longer be blocked until the operation is complete and mods are now copied, not moved.
  • Fixed an issue that would cause the names of Factorio installations to get messed up when refreshing.
  • Fixed a bug in command line parsing that would sometimes cause ModMyFactory to not import specified modpack files.
  • Fixed an issue that caused ModMyFactory to not import modpack files from Windows Explorer if it was already running.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the update check on startup to not work even when enabled in the settings.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Artentus wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:48 pm
What mods are you talking about exactly?

There is no official way to mark a mod as deprecated, neither with a tag nor any other way. There are very few mods in the list that I manually blacklisted because they were intentionally made unusable by their authors (e.g. the title had been changed to a single dot, or the title and description had been changed to referr to a new mod). I did this because these would usually show up at the very top of the list, cluttering the UI.
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-250
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Maybe I worded this incorrectly: there is no way in the mod API.
If a mod has been marked as deprecated on the portal, the API just doesn't even expose it. I cannot show information the server is not sending to me.

This behaviour seems to be by design, as the devs themselves write:
Marking as deprecated will keep the mod up on the portal, but it will be hidden from any public searches.
This includes the public mod API.

So as much as I want to help out this is not something I have control over. If you want this functionality you have to send a feature request to the Factorio devs.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

one more example: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/multi-pro ... discussion

i can't see this mod in some lists, but searching for the exact name (or even a partial name like "Multi-Product") works fine, as well as searching for the author and getting a complete list of all his mods (including deprecated mods).

but since i have no idea about the portal api, i have to trust you that such searches can't be done automatically, but only manually on the web portal page.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Well, these mods can be accessed with the API when their exact name is known. So updating and dependencies should work without issue.

The problem is just the public list. It just does not include deprecated mods at all, and there is no search functionality either.

The only way I can think of how to get deprecated mods into the list is by having a list of them already available. Hardcoding such a list would be a futile effort however. And there is also the problem that a web request has to be sent for each deprecated mod individualy, which would take a while.

Possibly I could implement a way to show each user exactly those deprecated mods they have already installed by themselves. That's the only thing that is somewhat realistic to archieve.

Return to “Mod and installation managers”