ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Tools for search and installing new mods as well as starting Factorio.
For dedicated server handling see Multiplayer Tools
Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Post by Artentus »

Yes they can, that's the whole point of the feature.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.4.0 released

Post by Artentus »

• Factorio (non-Steam) can now be updated in the version manager.
  • Added Russian translation.
  • Improved modpack GUI to highlight subitems.
  • Optimized search algorithm.
Do only update Factorio non-Steam versions through the version manager. Ingame auto-updates are not supported and will mess things up.
Update the Steam version of Factorio only through the Steam client.

Note that depending on how big of a version jump an update causes, it may be faster do download the target version directly. However, updating will preserve all your settings while downloading a new version will not.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.4.1 released

Post by Artentus »

• Fixed links not properly being recreated after updating Factorio.
  • Fixed selected version not being saved in some cases after it has been updated.

Arumba
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Arumba »

Getting this error trying to assign steam client as my Factorio install. My GPU failed and I reinstalled windows, reinstalled Steam Factorio and now it doesn't seem to work. See attached crash.log

*update*
I ported over my user settings before I reinstalled windows, including my %appdata% folder. I tried removing the modmyfactory folder from there and it worked.
Attachments
crash-log.txt
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

Currently trying to get this working and have run into some issues.

-----
When trying to add a version from folder the program would crash due to a too long path name. (no log handy for this one)

Source path: E:\Factorio\Temp
Destination: E:\Factorio\Single
Mod directory: application directory

When the program tried to move the mods it got stuck creating version sub-folders until the path was too long. Like so: E:\Factorio\ModMyFactory_1.4.1\mods\0.14\0.14\0.14......
Possible triggers?: Using lots of unpacked mods, using a portable Factorio installation "config-path=../../config" in ocnfig-path.cfg
This also results in corrupted settings, necessitating the removal of the ModMyFactory appdata files or the program will crash on every start (no log handy for this either, sorry)

-----
When updating an installation made from zip .14.13 to latest .14.21 crashed somewhere during the process not being able to open the zlib dll. Crash log attached.
Don't know about this one as the file is in the application folder.

-----
When using a custom Factorio install location changing the value of this setting will, without warning, move the contents of this folder to the new destination and delete the old folder. Please, for all that is good, don't do that. It is in no way standard or expected behaviour. Had I not known parts of the Factorio folder structure, to repair it, this would have destroyed my Factorio installation. It might be useful as a separate feature, but please, don't keep this as the default behaviour.

-----
Hopefully these issues will be fixed as this seems like a nice program otherwise. In the mean time I'll keep looking for workarounds.

Cheers
Attachments
crash-log.txt
zlib not found log
(3.17 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Arumba wrote:I ported over my user settings before I reinstalled windows, including my %appdata% folder.
I have not accounted for this case so deleting the configuration was probably the best and only solution.
aaargha wrote:When the program tried to move the mods it got stuck creating version sub-folders until the path was too long.
This is most likely cause by improper configuration of the Factorio and mod locations.
Make sure to not
  • set the Factorio location to a path where Factorio is already installed. Ideally choose an empty folder or one of the other two options.
  • set the mod location to a path that already contains mods, especially not if it's the standard mods folder of Factorio. Ideally choose an empty folder again.
aaargha wrote:crashed somewhere during the process not being able to open the zlib dll.
This is a strange one. I'll have to take a closer look on that.
aaargha wrote:When using a custom Factorio install location changing the value of this setting will, without warning, move the contents of this folder to the new destination and delete the old folder. Please, for all that is good, don't do that. It is in no way standard or expected behaviour. Had I not known parts of the Factorio folder structure, to repair it, this would have destroyed my Factorio installation.
Well there are only two things I can to in this situation. Either move everything or remove all Factorio installations from ModMyFactory.
Imo moving everything is the more intuitive solution. And normally this should not break anything. The only way I can see this break anything is if you are doing some shenanigans with your Factorio installation you should not do, ModMyFactory will take care of managing Factorio for you.

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

Artentus wrote:This is most likely cause by improper configuration of the Factorio and mod locations.
Make sure to not
  • set the Factorio location to a path where Factorio is already installed. Ideally choose an empty folder or one of the other two options.
  • set the mod location to a path that already contains mods, especially not if it's the standard mods folder of Factorio. Ideally choose an empty folder again.
Hmmm, I don't think I was doing any of that, but I can't be sure, tried a bunch of different locations. While trying to replicate this I experienced some more crashes, not the same one though.

Managed to get 0.14.13 working using add from zip, added some mods (zipped).
Updated another copy to 0.14.21 and added my original mod folder to it (unzipped).
Tried to add the 0.14.21 copy using add from folder.
Crashes after moving the first mod.
Trying again will move one more mod and then crash again.
(removing all but one mod results in one crash and then a success on the next try as there are no mods left)

From the log (attached) it seems to try to access the folder again after deleting it and, as far as I can tell, the mods get moved correctly.

I'll try some more and get back to you, but it's looking more likely that I did one of the things you mentioned.
Artentus wrote:Well there are only two things I can to in this situation. Either move everything or remove all Factorio installations from ModMyFactory.
Imo moving everything is the more intuitive solution. And normally this should not break anything. The only way I can see this break anything is if you are doing some shenanigans with your Factorio installation you should not do, ModMyFactory will take care of managing Factorio for you.
Man, you need to be more imaginative with how to break things :twisted:
The easiest example I can think of is accidentally selecting the wrong folder the first time, or changing your mind before any Factorio installation is even added. The only way to change this without moving all the contents of said folder is to delete the config file in %appdata%.

In my mind, what makes this feature problematic is three things:
  • The behavoiur is unexpected.
  • It's unforgiving in regards to mistakes.
  • It will move anything in the folder, not just managed installations.
My thoughts on improvements while still keeping this feature (mostly) intact:
1. Only move managed installations: Don't touch anything outside the $version folders. Don't move anything if no installations are managed.
2. Let the user decide: Like with add from folder, warn the user about what is going on and let them choose how they want to handle it. Could look something like this:
Warning wrote: Changing the Factorio location will make it unavailable to ModMyFactory unless the files are moved.
Move: Move current installations to the new locations.
Don't move: Installations will have to be re added in the version manager.
Cancel: Keep the current location
(Move) (Don't move) (Cancel)
With those two changes I'd say that this feature would be fine. It's still a bit unexpected, but it's not a problem as we get to choose how to handle it.

Alternatively the feature could be removed and when the folders are changed a simple popup with "location changed, use version manager to re add installations" to inform the user of what happened.
Optionally add a way to scan the selected destination for installations ready to manage, just to skip moving with the version manager.

Sorry if I sound antagonistic, tone is hard over the internet :)

Cheers
Attachments
crash-log1.txt
mod move log
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

aaargha wrote:Sorry if I sound antagonistic, tone is hard over the internet
No problem at all. I can not look into peoples heads so I would rather hear some criticism than sitting on a shitty piece of software that noone uses.
aaargha wrote:From the log (attached) it seems to try to access the folder again after deleting it and, as far as I can tell, the mods get moved correctly.
That could very well be.
There is definitely a bug in there regarding unzipped mods. I must have only tested this with zipped mods and therefore did not find this.
aaargha wrote:Man, you need to be more imaginative with how to break things
Yea maybe. But users will always find a way how to break something, no matter what you do. ;)
aaargha wrote:With those two changes I'd say that this feature would be fine. It's still a bit unexpected, but it's not a problem as we get to choose how to handle it.
There is definitely room for improvement. I will see what I can do.

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

Artentus wrote:Yea maybe. But users will always find a way how to break something, no matter what you do. ;).
Pretty much, yeah. And with that said I'm back to increase my user level :D

Just a minor issue this time though. When adding mods "from folder" found no valid mods in a folder. Using "from files" on all the files in the same folder works. Mods were zipped.

Not much of a problem as "from files" allows adding multiple files at a time (which is really neat), just a bit wonky.

We'll see if I manage to get what I want working, but so far it's looking good. Keep up the good work.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

aaargha wrote:When adding mods "from folder" found no valid mods in a folder.
Thats not how "Add from folder" works. With this option you can add an unzipped mod.

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

Artentus wrote:Thats not how "Add from folder" works. With this option you can add an unzipped mod.
Ah, well, carry on then.

Having had a chance to use this as intended I've got to say I like it. The mod-packs are really neat and it's even got that link generation to save those last few clicks :).
I don't think I'll try to run the headless through it, but for the rest it's been super convenient so far.

Cheers

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

aaargha wrote:I don't think I'll try to run the headless through it
I'm not sure if that would even work, at least I have not intended it to.
There are separate server managers out there already, ModMyFactory covers the client side of things.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Wiki now available

Post by Artentus »

If you want to get info about ModMyFactory you can now take a look at the official Wiki.
For beginners I recommend reading at least the Getting Started section.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.4.2 released

Post by Artentus »

• Fixed crash when adding a Factorio version from folder that contained an unzipped mod.
  • Improved behaviour when moving Factorio and mod location in the settings (will now only move Factorio/mods and leave other contents).
  • Added Portuguese translation.

Arumba
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Arumba »

I've done something wrong. It is mad at me. (See attached crash.log)
Attachments
crash-log.txt
(2.52 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

It appears that one of your mods is named incorrectly.
Both zipped and unzipped mods need to be named in the pattern "<name>_<version>" where 'name' and 'version' are exactly the same as in the info.json file inside the mod.
Normally it's the job of the mod creator to do this right.

Arumba
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Arumba »

Ahh, I figured it out based on that, thanks. I had put some of the mods into a folder called "disabled" as a temporary measure since I kept needing to select them out of my full pack, and apparently modmyfactory doesn't like unexpected folders in the mod folder.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Well, yes, it will try to load all folders as mods. It will also try to load all ZIP archives as mods.

You should probably refrain from editing this folder manually.
If you want to deactivate only some mods of a modpack, why don't you create another modpack? You can add modpacks to other modpacks so what you want to do should be really easy with multiple nested packs.

Rensiur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rensiur »

Hi, first, thanks for the awesome tool.

I have however run into a weird issue. Since today my ModMyFactory won't start. I get no error message or anything. It just doesn't start up any more.

The only change I know of in my system was an update of Nvidia Drivers.

Has anyone encountered such a behaviour before?

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

If you encounter this issue again please take a look into your task manager and see if there is a ModMyFactory process running. If there is, try to kill it and see if it works then.

Return to “Mod and installation managers”