ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Tools for search and installing new mods as well as starting Factorio.
For dedicated server handling see Multiplayer Tools
Firestronk
Inserter
Inserter

Re: ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Post by Firestronk »

For someone whenever I try to run the mod manager it crashes on start up. I am on windows 10 and am running the latest version of windows .net framework

Code: Select all

System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException: Provide value on 'System.Windows.Markup.StaticExtension' threw an exception. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'fdaf1804473acc4bea164ecac76405987708a3' is denied.
   at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound)
   at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
   at ModMyFactory.Models.FactorioVersion.CreateModDirectoryLink(Boolean forced)
   at ModMyFactory.Models.FactorioSteamVersion.TryLoad(FactorioVersion& steamVersion)
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.MainViewModel..ctor()
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.MainViewModel.get_Instance()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimePropertyInfo.GetValue(Object obj, Object[] index)
   at System.Windows.Markup.StaticExtension.GetFieldOrPropertyValue(Type type, String name, Object& value)
   at System.Windows.Markup.StaticExtension.ProvideValue(IServiceProvider serviceProvider)
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.Runtime.ClrObjectRuntime.CallProvideValue(MarkupExtension me, IServiceProvider serviceProvider)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.RewrapException(Exception e, IXamlLineInfo lineInfo, Uri baseUri)
   at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(XamlReader xamlReader, IXamlObjectWriterFactory writerFactory, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Object rootObject, XamlObjectWriterSettings settings, Uri baseUri)
   at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(XamlReader xamlReader, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Object rootObject, XamlAccessLevel accessLevel, Uri baseUri)
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(Stream stream, ParserContext parserContext, Object parent, Boolean closeStream)
   at System.Windows.Application.LoadBamlStreamWithSyncInfo(Stream stream, ParserContext pc)
   at System.Windows.Application.DoStartup()
   at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(Object unused)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

I guess you are suffering from the same problem anyone else does. I somehow seem to have forgotten to create some directories when selecting the steam version.
See if the error goes away if you delete your settings file and then create these directories befor you restart:
%AppData%\ModMyFactory\Factorio
%AppData%\ModMyFactory\mods
%AppData%\ModMyFactory\saves
%AppData%\ModMyFactory\scenarios

A fix will most likely be out tomorrow.

Firestronk
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Firestronk »

Artentus wrote:I guess you are suffering from the same problem anyone else does. I somehow seem to have forgotten to create some directories when selecting the steam version.
See if the error goes away if you delete your settings file and then create these directories befor you restart:
%AppData%\ModMyFactory\Factorio
%AppData%\ModMyFactory\mods
%AppData%\ModMyFactory\saves
%AppData%\ModMyFactory\scenarios

A fix will most likely be out tomorrow.
I get a different error now after creating the directories

Code: Select all

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.VersionManagementViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass43_0.<MoveContentsToPreserveAsync>b__0()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.VersionManagementViewModel.<MoveContentsToPreserveAsync>d__43.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.VersionManagementViewModel.<SelectSteamVersion>d__46.MoveNext()
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.VersionManagementViewModel.<<-ctor>b__37_4>d.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.2.1 released

Post by Artentus »

Bugs fixed:
  • Fixed possible crash when opening a folder.
  • Fixed crash when adding Factorio from folder (also applies to Steam version).
  • Fixed possible crash when changing a folder in the settings.

For everyone who had some problems before I highly recommend to check if nothing has been f*ed up, delete %AppData%\ModMyFactory and start from scratch. Otherwise you may experience even worse crashes and unexpected behaviour.

Firestronk
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Version 1.2.1 released

Post by Firestronk »

Artentus wrote:Bugs fixed:
  • Fixed possible crash when opening a folder.
  • Fixed crash when adding Factorio from folder (also applies to Steam version).
  • Fixed possible crash when changing a folder in the settings.

For everyone who had some problems before I highly recommend to check if nothing has been f*ed up, delete %AppData%\ModMyFactory and start from scratch. Otherwise you may experience even worse crashes and unexpected behaviour.
Still crash even with 1.2.1 and a fresh install

Firestronk
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Firestronk »

Is there anyway to undo what the mod manager has done? It has deleted all of my mods and my current save which has over 60+ hours in it

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

I am sorry this happened, but I have put that warning dialog that suggest creating a backup for a reason in there. I have also suggested to check if everything is ok before doing anything else for a reason.

So now to your problem. Don't worry about the mods because you can always just redownload them.
Getting your save back is a little more difficult. I assume you don't have a backup, otherwise you probably wouldn't ask. At this point you should not create any files on you hard drive. Also, use as few applications as possible (ideally you should even close your browser). Go to another device and download the portable version of Recuva onto a USB stick or external drive. Then go to your computer with that, let it search your hard drive and hope the file has not been overwritten.

Firestronk
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Firestronk »

Artentus wrote:I am sorry this happened, but I have put that warning dialog that suggest creating a backup for a reason in there. I have also suggested to check if everything is ok before doing anything else for a reason.

So now to your problem. Don't worry about the mods because you can always just redownload them.
Getting your save back is a little more difficult. I assume you don't have a backup, otherwise you probably wouldn't ask. At this point you should not create any files on you hard drive. Also, use as few applications as possible (ideally you should even close your browser). Go to another device and download the portable version of Recuva onto a USB stick or external drive. Then go to your computer with that, let it search your hard drive and hope the file has not been overwritten.
I had made 2 backups previously but they disappeared when I launched the mod manager

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Did you put them inside the saves folder? If so shit happens.
Are you shure you don't have a backup in the Steam cloud?

Firestronk
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Firestronk »

Artentus wrote:Did you put them inside the saves folder? If so shit happens.
Are you shure you don't have a backup in the Steam cloud?
I disabled factories steam cloud back ups as they were causing issues

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Well, I told you what to do, then.
Its the only way I know of. I hope you have not made to many writes to your hatd drive.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.2.2 released

Post by Artentus »

Bugs fixed:
  • Fixed possible crash when searching for mod updates.
  • Fixed misbehavior when changing the mod folder.

I hope with this release all the critical, breaking bugs have been fixed. I will now go back to fixing non-breaking bugs and to make small improvements.

acryinshame
Inserter
Inserter

Post by acryinshame »

Really love this little tool. Saves me a lot of time. If i may, Is there a way to search of mods that have not been checked? If not would there be an issue to add this? or have each checked mod highlighted so unchecked mods stand out?
ACryInShame
Image Image Image

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

acryinshame wrote:Is there a way to search of mods that have not been checked?
Currently the search uses a naive text based approach, so no. I may improve this at some point, but it's not high on my priorities.
If I may ask: what would be the gain for you if this feature was available? I believe if you organize your mods into modpacks you will be able to easily find them (and to mass check/uncheck them).

acryinshame
Inserter
Inserter

Post by acryinshame »

The issue was adding mods to a modpack but scrolling through all the mods to find mods to add but there would be times I would forget the exact name of a mod (as your search is very particular with that) and thus would have to scroll through all the mods to find it. If I could see all unchecked mods then the list would be a lot smaller. Like 3-4 instead of 30+ (I've been working on large mod packs and editing settings to make them all work well together, sort of like Minecraft mod packs)
ACryInShame
Image Image Image

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

I agree that the search feature is far from optimal. However, it does work for now and is therefore low on my priority list.
I will improve this eventually to also search for author and to be less restricting.

draziel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by draziel »

Hi,

I've installed ModMyFactory while i already had some mods. It didn't recognize them so i tried to manually set the mod folder to Appdata/factorio/mod. It still didn't recognize my installed mods so i tried to check the online mods so it *might* check the mod folder and register my already installed mods. I then launched the game and my mod folder was then empty. I don't know when it happened :(

You might want to leave a readme to say how to properly setup the software.

My saves are still fine though =) .

PS : it seems that i'm not the only one to have some files deleted... I suggest you do not erase folders :/
PS 2 : And i can't download any mods :/

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

draziel wrote:I've installed ModMyFactory while i already had some mods. It didn't recognize them
What exactly did you do? ModMyFactory will not find Factorio automatically, you have to select your installation in the version manager.
If you did select your installation in the version manager and it did not recognize your mods, you must have experienced a bug.
draziel wrote:i tried to manually set the mod folder to Appdata/factorio/mod
This is not how it works and probably the reason why you mods got deleted.
It seems that there is actually more ambiguity to how to use this program than I thought. I will probably add a Wiki to the GitHub page on how to set this up correctly.
draziel wrote:I suggest you do not erase folders
Not possible. The mod manager operates by creating directory junctions in place of the normal folders, so if the folders are present they have to go.
If the program is used how it's intended to be all contents of the deleted folders will be moved to their new places. I do know that sometimes there can be unforeseen circumstances, thats why I put a big warning message before anything is deleted so the user has time to create backups.
draziel wrote:And i can't download any mods
Is there an error message, does the program crash or what happens.
At the moment I am not aware of any bugs that prevent mod downloading. Of course you have to be connected to the internet for it to work and the server has to be online.

draziel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by draziel »

Thanks for the fast reply !

About the download : I do File > Add Mods > Download > ... Parsing the server (computer busy ... > Mod list available > I select a mod > The download button stay greyed.

I guess i have to enter a login somewhere... But i didn't saw anything anywhere :/

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

You have to select the release you want to download in the list on the right.
You will be asked for your login credentials automatically when you need to enter them.

Return to “Mod and installation managers”