ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Tools for search and installing new mods as well as starting Factorio.
For dedicated server handling see Multiplayer Tools
webbatron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Post by webbatron »

Artentus wrote:That is not possible. I haave plans to improve my export format to include mods so they don't have to be downloaded from the mod portal when importing, but that will still require ModMyFactory to install.

Sadly it is not as simple as throwing all the mod files into a single folder and then calling it done, doing that would create conflicts that could only be resolved manually by a programmer.
thanks, that helps a lot

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory 1.5.12pre4 released

Post by Artentus »

• Added "New Modpack" entry to modpack list context menu.
  • Dragging and dropping mods into the modpack list at a free space will now create a new modpack containing all the dropped mods.
I have also made some changes to the mod update process. The goal was to streamline the process by using the same code that is used when loading or refreshing mods, to make sure the two work exactly the same. I hope you guys won't even notice the change, but if you see anything strange happening with your mod list or modpacks after updating mods please tell me.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Wildejackson wrote:For some reason it now uses the appdata factorio directory when locating mods. Im not entirely sure how the manager functions but despite launching different versions, it simply only ever looks in the root factorio folder for mod files.
Artentus wrote:What you are describing sounds like somehow the folder junctions got messed up.

What directory exactly are we speaking of when you say it reads from the Factorio AppData directory? Are you talking about AppData\Roaming\Factorio or some other location?

Also, what kind of versions of Factorio are you using? Standalone versions installed with ModMyFactory or the Steam Version?
I have the same issue.
Yeah, that directory.
Website 0.16 version.

Also I couldn't even move my Factorio folder using the Version Manager, as ModMyFactory crashed with this error :
(Running ModMyFactory with administrative privileges didn't help.)

Code: Select all

System.IO.IOException: L'accès au chemin d'accès 'C:\_JEUX_\Factorio' est refusé.
   at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.MoveTo(String destDirName)
   at ModMyFactory.Helpers.DirectoryInfoExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<MoveToAsync>b__0()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at ModMyFactory.Helpers.DirectoryInfoExtensions.<MoveToAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.VersionManagementViewModel.<MoveFactorioInstallationAsync>d__49.MoveNext()
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.VersionManagementViewModel.<AddLocalVersion>d__51.MoveNext()
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.VersionManagementViewModel.<<-ctor>b__39_3>d.MoveNext()
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
Copying worked.

Also, moving mods/saves with Location Settings after changing them didn't work (but without a crash).

I even tried changing the mod folder to Factorio's default one (which you do not recommend), but sadly, it doesn't work either : Factorio doesn't detect the mods if they are in a 0.16 subfolder, and ModMyFactory doesn't detect them if they aren't - even if set to Global... :(

Thankfully, it's still useful for quickly creating mod-list.json s and modpacks, so I can have a different one for each of my games! :)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

The error you are getting is due to a lack of write permissions. ModMyFactory requires write permissions in the Factorio root folder as well as all the paths you specify in the settings, otherwise it won't be able to create the necessary links. Reset everything and then try to run as administrator.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Didn't change anything, as I said.
(Which is weird, might Windows 10 have some additional security measures?)

Do you think that it might cause our main issue?

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Also, after downloading a mod, ModMyFactory crashes with the following error :

System.InvalidOperationException: The server sent an invalid mod file.
   at ModMyFactory.Web.ModWebsite.<DownloadReleaseAsync>d__7.MoveNext()
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.OnlineModsViewModel.<DownloadSelectedModRelease>d__87.MoveNext()
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.OnlineModsViewModel.<DownloadSelectedModRelease>d__87.MoveNext()
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.OnlineModsViewModel.<<-ctor>b__85_0>d.MoveNext()
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
(I've logged in using my account name, not e-mail.)

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

I have had multiple reports of this error. It happens if you use an outdated version of MMF. The current stable build is completely non-functional, you have to use the latest pre-release as stated in the first post. If you are still on 1.5.11 chances are all your problems are because of that.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Well, indeed, that's what I use... I got it from your GitHub, where it says :
https://github.com/Artentus/ModMyFactory#download
You can find the latest release of ModMyFactory here.
("here" Linking to the "latest" 1.5.11 version : )
https://github.com/Artentus/ModMyFactor ... ses/latest :
https://github.com/Artentus/ModMyFactor ... g/v.1.5.11

I'd suggest fixing that link, as well as the one in "Getting Started".

Also maybe making the message about the latest stable being broken more prominent in the first post?

Panderine
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Panderine »

I've the following error when importing a modpack or downloading a mod:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ModMyFactory.GlobalCredentials.LogIn(Window owner, String& loginToken)
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.MainViewModel.<DownloadModsAsync>d__204.MoveNext()
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.MainViewModel.<ImportModpackFile>d__205.MoveNext()
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.MainViewModel.<ImportModpacksInner>d__206.MoveNext()
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.MainViewModel.<ImportModpacks>d__207.MoveNext()
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.MainViewModel.<<-ctor>b__189_4>d.MoveNext()

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Looks like you are on 1.5.11, update to 1.5.12

Panderine
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Panderine »

Artentus wrote:Looks like you are on 1.5.11, update to 1.5.12
I'm using ModMyFactory_1.5.12pre4.zip

edit: nevermind. There was an issue with my license. I was unable to install them from ingame as well.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Glad you could work it out.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Ok, so great news everyone, I will most likely release the 1.5.12 stable tomorrow.
Thanks to the awesome Factorio devs my pending request to add back mod api functionality that was previously lost in the February update has been answered, so I can finally restore complete functionality like back in version 1.5.11.
Look out for more updates tomorrow.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory 1.5.12 released

Post by Artentus »

Version 1.5.12 is now stable, you can find the download in the first post or on my GitHub as usual.
Please note that due to an API change from GitHubs side the automatic update check in older versions of MMF will not find this update.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi, i havent tried modmyfactory yet, but here is some feedback i posted a while ago about mod management:
i posted it to the thread page here: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27805#p336544

but also available directly below:
Mod management idea
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Thanks for that.

Now obviously I cannot modify the game itself, however the functionality you are talking about is indeed provided by MMF.
In the core MMF allows you to select or deselect all of your mods in any combination you want, and then launch the game with your selected configuration. It also allows you to group up mod in modpacks for easy bulk activation and it has functionality to automatically activate certain configrations for you with shortcuts, so that once you are done configuring starting the game with multiple different configurations is just as straight forward as starting it normally.
Now currently mod settings are still stored globally. Eventually I am planning to implement per-modpack mod configuration. I have no official roadmap or anything as this is a hobby project, but this functionality will most likely be part of 1.7 just based on my current progress.

As to sharing savegames with mod configurations, MMF can provide similar functionality although not quite as you are describing it. It does allow you to share modpacks you have created. If someone else then loads the exported modpack file on their MMF the mods can all be downloaded automatically. The savegame however still has to be shared separately.
I am actually working on improving this system a lot in the 1.6 release, you can expect some big overhauls that should make sharing modpacks a lot more intuitive, with many more options as well. Expect 1.6 to release soon-ish (tm), although I can't make any promises regarding release dates.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

ok thanks for the info, i added mmf to the list of new (mods) to try after current playthrough - (the list seems to be growing lol) :)
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory 1.6.0pre1 released

Post by Artentus »

Version 1.6 is now available for testing.
I have completely reworked the modpack sharing from the ground up. Exporting modpacks now allows for a plethora of new options regarding mod versions, as well as support to export the mod files directly (in case you don't want the person you are sharing with having to download from the portal). This all comes with a new file format, so while MMF 1.6 can still load old exported modpacks, older versions of MMF will not be able to import files that have been exported in 1.6. Please also note that if you want to share mod files you need approval to do so by either the mod author or the mods license.

The reason why I decided to publish this a a pre-release is that the new system simply allows for so many different combinations I cannot possibly test them all in my free time on my own. That's why I'm hoping some of you guys are willing to help me out and give the new functionality a try.
Be assured that trying this out will at worst not properly load modpacks when importing, your savegames and Factorio installations are not in danger (at least not any more than on 1.5.12 ;) ).

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory 1.6.0pre2 released

Post by Artentus »

As per request I added an option to directly load into a game from a MMF-created link. I also added the option to specify custom arguments in case anyone needs them.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

I recently had problems starting factorio with a specific mod, but when using steam directly it loaded fine.
thus i finally got to looking at the problem again today and probably found the cause which might involve a bug of factorio itself.
the following happened when using your old version 1.5.12pre4 (I'll update to 1.5.12 and test again later)
edit: now also tested with MMF 1.5.12 release version, and the problem is exactly the same (as expected since it seems to be a bug in factorio)

the mod which caused this problem is Dirty Barrels.
when i started factorio from MMF, i got this strange error:
- Failed to load mods: __dirtybarrels__/data.lua:1: ...Factory/Factorio/0.16.51/data/core/lualib/dataloader.lua:16: attempt to index local 'e' (a number value)
data.lua of Dirty Barrels has only one line:
- require("prototypes.recipe.clean-barrels")
the critical lines in factorios dataloader.lua are:
- 15: for _, e in ipairs(otherdata) do
- 16: if not e.type or not e.name then

after a lot of experimenting i found a very temporary fix:
rename the mod directoy that is setup by MMF from 0.16.51 to v0.16.51
and everything works fine again when starting factorio directly from the factorio/0.16.51/bin/x64 directory

i don't know the details, but it looks as if factorio (like some other programs) silently expects specific restrictions on filenames and directorynames, especially that they start with a letter and not with a digit. in addition it might have been a bit confusing to some checks (if there are any) when the directoy is accessible as mods but really is a hardlink to another path.

maybe you could name all those factorio subdirectories (for factorio itself, for mods, saves, etc) from x.xx.xx to vx.xx.xx (with a letter "v" prefixed to the number) to not hit this bug(?) in factorio?

and sine it seems to me as if it is a bg in factorio, maybe a bg report should be filed to them too. would you do that since you probably can describe the exact problem and circumstances better ?

besides the above crash, i have two other problems with factorio and its settings which you (at least partially) have mentioned above yourself:
the mod settings are global, and also the keyboard settings seem to be global. probably as a result of this, i sometimes lose mod settings or keyboard settings when disabling and re-enabling (or even deleting and reinstalling) mods. this means a lot of work when usng lots of mods which have lots of conflicting hotkeys which need to be checked and adjusted again after changig anything in the mod configuration.
although such a task would not be easy, it would be nice if your management could keep track of those settings and "patch together" some settings or hotkey configuration files, to restore the state as it was last time when using those mods.

Return to “Mod and installation managers”