Foreman 0.1.9 - A factory optimisation tool.

Calculate optimal ratios for feeding recipes, search through the research-tree, specialized tools to view game-information.
XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Foreman - A factory optimisation tool. Now 11.X compatible!

Post by XyLe »

So with that thing out of the way , let's take a look at a different situation then. Say i wanna make 1000 gas / minute.

Judging by this graph i'd need 1818 oil / minute, without cracking heavy and light oil that is:
What if i wanna consider the amount of gas i could get by having chemical plants cracking the oil too. I understand what this program does, it just doesn't add up the gas from different sources properly, but how to do the calculations right then? On the picture it says that i'm gonna need 6666 oil/minute in order to have enough heavy oil for sufficient gas production. See how it splits gas sources evenly? 333 on light oil, 333 on the other oil, and whatever that does to the refinery:
The next graph looks a bit better, but not much. Still 5000 oil/ min. Now that we have 2 sources of gas, evenly split they should produce 500/min each. that kinda makes the crude oil demand ridiculous:
thank you in advance!

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

Further experimentation shows that you can add 3 output nodes and manually adjust the amount of gas they would receive:
That gives 1061 gas / minute. Although i'm not sure why all the outputs on the refinery are blue. Normally one of them is supposed to be red or white. sorry guys if i'm misunderstanding too much.
Last edited by XyLe on Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omagaalpha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omagaalpha »

Just realise Foreman that thing can't handle amount_min &amount_max , most likely probability too.

Edit: now stop reading MAIN-DyTech-Machine_1.0.2 which MAIN-DyTech-Machine_1.0.1 it could.

Edit 2:Wish log of process interpeting lua files see why some mod(or part mod) work and some don't.

Nicksaurus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nicksaurus »

XyLe wrote:Further experimentation shows that you can add 3 output nodes and manually adjust the amount of gas they would receive:
That gives 1061 gas / minute. Although i'm not sure why all the outputs on the refinery are blue. Normally one of them is supposed to be red or white. sorry guys if i'm misunderstanding too much.
I'm sorry about the problems with oil production - as you've discovered, it's currently very naive when it comes to splitting amounts between recipes that both produce the same item. Also, when the tab is blue it means that excess items are being produced and not used.
omagaalpha wrote:Just realise Foreman that thing can't handle amount_min &amount_max , most likely probability too.

Edit: now stop reading MAIN-DyTech-Machine_1.0.2 which MAIN-DyTech-Machine_1.0.1 it could.

Edit 2:Wish log of process interpeting lua files see why some mod(or part mod) work and some don't.
Yeah, sorry about that too. I can't give you an ETA on when it'll be improved either...

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

Nicksaurus wrote:I'm sorry about the problems with oil production - as you've discovered, it's currently very naive when it comes to splitting amounts between recipes that both produce the same item. Also, when the tab is blue it means that excess items are being produced and not used.

Yeah, sorry about that too. I can't give you an ETA on when it'll be improved either...
This doesn't make sense then, because on my picture i'm producing 118 heavy oil / min. And using 118/m, which means there's no excess items that i'm aware of. I understand that there may be 118.0000001/m in production but still it shouldn't be blue in my opinion.

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

I also have another question, please help me out here:

Say, i wanna make processing units with a 3rd lvl machine. The game says "crafting time = 15 sec"

So i'm assuming that pocket-crafting gives 4 units / minute (60/15=4)

Lvl 3 machine has crafting speed of 1.25, so it's supposed to craft 4*1.25 = 5 units / min. Is that correct?

Now take a look at the picture:
pu
Why does it require 2 machines then?

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

rounding errors... Just leave it at 4.99 per minute :)

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

psorek wrote:rounding errors... Just leave it at 4.99 per minute :)
oh, thank you! )) i didn't realize you can do that. Although it's technically "4,99" then, not "4.99".

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

let's stick to international convention on this forum, though in software it's comma-separated.

Sharlenwar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sharlenwar »

This is pretty cool, I'll have to check it out at work here. Maybe help me clear up my mind thinking about Factorio with this. :twisted:
**My Corner Of The Web**
YouTube Channel

Wessel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Wessel »

First of all, wonderful tool!

Just one thing I cannot understand. An Electric Mining Drill drills Iron Ore at a rate of 0.5/s.
Why does Foreman tell me I need 4 Electric Mining Drills for a total Iron Ore rate of 1/s? I would say I only need two.
Last edited by Wessel on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Good question. But 1 sec is also wrong. Look into this article how to compute the total mining-speed: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =18&t=8370
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Wessel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Wessel »

Nicksaurus will have to look into it, but in the source-code of Foreman I can see that he is using the formula mentioned in your link.
public float GetRate(Resource resource)
{
return (this.MiningPower - resource.Hardness) * this.Speed / resource.Time;
}
So either the base values are wrong, or the resource rate is interpreted wrongly, or we are both missing someting (which is perfectly possible as well ;))

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There must be a wrong calculation in the formula in the wiki/article. In the wiki (https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ning_drill): with the first formula you get resources per second. 1.3 resources per second means: Every 0.77 seconds one resource. Which is obviously too fast of what the game shows us. It lasts per sure more than a second? It is about 2 seconds, or below. It would match perfectly if it is 1.54 seconds, which is 0.77 * 2. But even then we don't come back to the above calculation: 1.54 seconds per item is 0.65 items per second, which means you need 2 miners to create minimum one item per second. And not 4.

But it would make sense, if this wrong calculation is made two times. Anywhere.

Pfff... I think I worked to hard today, I cannot think anymore. ;)

But others can think: what we're missing? :?: :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

i'm sorry I couldn't understand the previous post. But the wiki article is correct. I don't know what it is you're missing guys, and i don't know who has made mistakes in their formulas, but on the wiki it's 100% correct and if you apply the formula to the electric mining drill you're gonna get 31,5 ore/minute which is exactly the amount of resources you get in vanilla game from 1 electric drill. So i suggest using brain and simple arithmetic instead of trusting that beautiful optimization tool, which is great and amazing, no doubt, but wrong quite often :)

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

P.S. optimization tool is telling me right now that for 4k ore/min i'd need 266 drills with no modules, which is obviously wrong, because 4000/31.5 ~ 127.

logris
Inserter
Inserter

Post by logris »

I managed to get a NullReferenceException while using this.
Steps to reproduce:
Drag an output to create a new connection.
While the window to choose a recipe/output node is open, right click the connection source and delete the node.
Choose a recipe/output, and the exception appears.

Here's the stacktrace of it:

Code: Select all

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Foreman.LinkElement.Paint(Graphics graphics)
   at Foreman.ProductionGraphViewer.Paint(Graphics graphics)
   at Foreman.ProductionGraphViewer.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Triblade
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Triblade »

Looks great, and I'm really gonna use the *** out of it :D

Anyway, I have noticed that there isn't a mention of splitters in the flowchart. Wouldn't it be usefull to know where to split the line when it goes to 3 or more destinations? Some destinations would require more/faster of an item that others, or am I just plain wrong?

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

Triblade wrote:Looks great, and I'm really gonna use the *** out of it :D

Anyway, I have noticed that there isn't a mention of splitters in the flowchart. Wouldn't it be usefull to know where to split the line when it goes to 3 or more destinations? Some destinations would require more/faster of an item that others, or am I just plain wrong?
I don't know exactly how you imagine splitting but here's my example:
s

sadris
Inserter
Inserter

Post by sadris »

I'm confused. I have DyTech enabled, which makes the recipe for Red Science pack a stone gear and copper plate. However, Foreman still says that Red Science is an iron gear. Does Foreman not actually read the recipe definitions? What does "supports mods" means?

Return to “Cheatsheets / Calculators / Viewers”