I made a calculator for all you OCD planners out there

Calculate optimal ratios for feeding recipes, search through the research-tree, specialized tools to view game-information.
Ohlmann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: I made a calculator for all you OCD planners out there

Post by Ohlmann »

Can we have support for rate less than 1 per second ? Typically, I am happy with producing 0.2 science pack per second.

SilentSam
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SilentSam »

Erendir wrote:small bug: chemical plant production is affected by assembler level setting.
Good catch, thanks. Added to the bug list.
Ohlmann wrote:Can we have support for rate less than 1 per second ? Typically, I am happy with producing 0.2 science pack per second.
The spinner controls won't do it but you can manually punch in decimals of arbitrary precision (like, just type in 0.2).

A setting for entering items in terms of seconds per item is on the planned feature list as well.

Ohlmann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ohlmann »

Is there a 0.11 update planned for this tool ?

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by The Lone Wolfling »

I have a request:

Can you please add a feature to combine multiple outputs? Say... I want to make a factory producing 0.7 science pack 1, 2, and 3s a second. For example.

Edit: Also, Firefox blocks the mixed content by default - you have to hunt around to make it work. Could you switch to using protocol-relative URLs or something?

SilentSam
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SilentSam »

Thanks to @Peewee223, 0.11 data is now available.

Re protocol URLs: I tried making all the sources protocol-relative, but something is still implicitly loading something over http and breaks the page. You are probably using the "HTTPS EVerywhere" extension if you're running into this problem (I am too) - there is no actual reason for any of this to use SSL (no private / sensitive data), so if you just disable it for the page it should work just fine until I can track down what's messing up.

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

SilentSam wrote: there is no actual reason for any of this to use SSL
...Need I get into this here?

Anytime I am allowing JS, I have reason to use SSL.

SilentSam
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SilentSam »

The Lone Wolfling wrote:
SilentSam wrote: there is no actual reason for any of this to use SSL
...Need I get into this here?

Anytime I am allowing JS, I have reason to use SSL.
Yeah if you don't someone might inject a nasty script in the calculator page which would allow them to erm... give you wrong results! Or harvest your calculator password!

Much easier to just sneak it into a pull request, it's not like I'm going to read over 2000 lines of lua data.

There just isn't anything much worth protecting.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

That's the wrong idea. We should just protect anything. At least for our privacy.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

SilentSam wrote: Yeah if you don't someone might inject a nasty script in the calculator page which would allow them to erm... give you wrong results! Or harvest your calculator password!
Looks like I do, in fact, need to get into this here.

Here's the thing - arbitrary/malicious JS can do a lot more than just give me wrong results. Among other things, consider the number of browser exploits that appear per month (Ever look at Firefox CVEs? If you don't, you should. 97 thus far in 2014 alone.)... Or, to not be quite that extreme, timing attacks to get user history, user tracking, ad injection. I've even seen portals that try to do image compression.

Peppe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Peppe »

May have been mentioned earlier, but I think materials in chemical plants are being modifed by the assembler option (.5, .75, 1.25). I believe chemical plants are always 1.25 crafting speed?

SilentSam
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SilentSam »

The Lone Wolfling wrote:
SilentSam wrote: Yeah if you don't someone might inject a nasty script in the calculator page which would allow them to erm... give you wrong results! Or harvest your calculator password!
Looks like I do, in fact, need to get into this here.

Here's the thing - arbitrary/malicious JS can do a lot more than just give me wrong results. Among other things, consider the number of browser exploits that appear per month (Ever look at Firefox CVEs? If you don't, you should. 97 thus far in 2014 alone.)... Or, to not be quite that extreme, timing attacks to get user history, user tracking, ad injection. I've even seen portals that try to do image compression.
But none of those rely on this particular page not using SSL, they just rely on the user visiting any one page whatsoever across the entire internet being plain text. Like this page you are currently reading.

Anyway look if you can find what script is pulling the insecure content and send me a PR I'll happily push the fix out.
Nova wrote:That's the wrong idea. We should just protect anything. At least for our privacy.
The calculator page doesn't have access to any private information about you except for your IP (which is not and cannot be hidden by SSL either).
Peppe wrote:May have been mentioned earlier, but I think materials in chemical plants are being modifed by the assembler option (.5, .75, 1.25). I believe chemical plants are always 1.25 crafting speed?
Yeahhh I need to fix that.

nmid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nmid »

Not meaning to make a necro post, but this is an awesome calculator.
I have been doing these calculations on paper, so this is a great aid to me.

I also came across https://bitbucket.org/Nicksaurus/foreman/downloads.

Are there any similar calculators that are highly recommended by the forum elders here?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

There are other calculators and spreadsheets things, but they're more on "how many solar panels do I need to power my database", and stuff. To my knowledge, these two are THE calculators for production balancing.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Dan Magic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dan Magic »

Sorry for re-necroing, but... is this (awesome) tool updated with the material and timing calculations?
In the website version 0.12 is referenced, which is quite outdated now, but maybe materials needs and construction times haven't changed since then (I doubt).

folk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by folk »

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... o-calc.zip
I repackaged it from abrindam's github fork, updated some of the js libs and the luavm to a webasm one.

EDIT: Previous linked version did not account for the new normal/expensive recipes, and would show them all as 1-second crafts with missing ingredients. This version always shows the normal type, I did not add a setting for the expensive versions. But at least it works.

brindyblitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by brindyblitz »

folk wrote: I repackaged it from abrindam's github fork, updated some of the js libs and the luavm to a webasm one.

EDIT: Previous linked version did not account for the new normal/expensive recipes, and would show them all as 1-second crafts with missing ingredients. This version always shows the normal type, I did not add a setting for the expensive versions. But at least it works.
Hey folk, abrindam here. I'm still working to get my forked changes into rubyruy/SilentSam's "mainline" version. Trying to avoid having too many versions of the tool out there, that's just confusing for everyone!

I'd love it if you could submit your changes to me as a pull request on GitHub so we can have one less copy running around. If you need any help with that, let me know.

folk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by folk »

I can just delete the post if you want. I am not going to update or work on it any further in any case.

brindyblitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by brindyblitz »

No need for that!

Would it be OK to incorporate your changes myself?

folk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by folk »

Most certainly, have at it :-)

justincuster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by justincuster »

Awesome! Thank you.