Crowdin Status Unclear

Discuss translation contributions here.
valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Crowdin Status Unclear

Post by valneq »

I saw that there was some activity on Crowdin by "Factorio Team". However, I don't understand what happened, nor why.

Considering that it has been a while since we were told that altagram was supposed to translate and proofread the locales, I'd like to request an update on the status of the translations and of Crowdin. Especially in light of the upcoming final release of the game.

I am specifically confused about what happened to the German locale (for which I am the proofreader), where apparently all strings were uploaded with updated versions, and then the uploads were cancelled again. I cannot find any of the "updated" translations on crowdin, everything I see was there previously.
The net effect is that all the approved translations (German was at 100%) have lost approval and the translations are prioritized by opload time / votes again. This is a giant mess now, and I don't believe this state was intended.

Can somebody explain … what happened? … what the intention is/was? … whether the activity on Crowdin from the side of altagram / Factorio Team will continue, and … when the community proofreaders and translators are supposed to have a look at this again, if ever?

I don't want to start messing with this if I don't know what's going on.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Crowdin Status Unclear

Post by Klonan »

So Altagram provided a bunch of translations to us, but also pushed them straight to crowdin without our approval or any verification,
After some internal review, there were some quality concerns, so I decided to undo their 'push' until we can make a more deliberate decision on what we do

I am not sure why all the translations lost approval status, that is completely unintentional, I wanted crowdin to be returned to the state before they pushed anything

I will contact Crowdin support and see if they can help undo the mess

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Hope this will be sorted out sooner than later. Release of 1.0 is approaching, after all.

I am starting to get a bit more worried because people still contribute via Crowdin, messing around with the state even more.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Ok that was a mess, it took this long to sort it

Crowdin is back the way it was several weeks ago,
Back to business as usual, we will resume updating locale with the usual deploy scripts

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Thanks for taking care of it. Now it is actually the way I remember it.

But does that also mean that there will never actually be any changes suggested by Altagram which will be incorporated into the game? I'd be glad to read some explanation / status update in the next FFF, need not be here.

TheEnemy42
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheEnemy42 »

Good job. Looking forward to seeing the results from Altagram and your work :)

I noticed that something like 90% of the languages in Crowdin had the state valneq mentioned (0% approval) and wonder why the remaining 10% of the languages were unaffected (Danish was one of them). Was it because Altagram didn't push anything to these languages or you didn't made a roll back?

I also got an update from Crowdin about 72 new strings yesterday but until further notice I'm keeping my hands off.
Currently primary Danish translator of Factorio. Feel free to contact me in regards to the translations.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I think at this point it is too late to integrate the work Altagram has provided,
Please if you are willing begin contributing to Crowdin once again

As for the unaffected languages, there are some languages we decided not to target, such as Danish and things

TheEnemy42
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheEnemy42 »

Oh, sorry to hear that. I hope you haven't wasted too much time on this and that you can use their work post release.

I'll get on working on the remaining translations as soon as possible.
Currently primary Danish translator of Factorio. Feel free to contact me in regards to the translations.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Klonan wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:25 am
I think at this point it is too late to integrate the work Altagram has provided,
Sorry to hear that. Would it be possible to have this briefly discussed in the next FFF?
Klonan wrote:
Please if you are willing begin contributing to Crowdin once again
Will do. Thanks for the answers, by the way :-)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

valneq wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:08 pm
Klonan wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Would it be possible to have this briefly discussed in the next FFF?
I don't really want to, it is quite an embarrassing situation on both sides, and at this time we still don't have any resolution with Altagram about it, I don't want to bring more attention to a bad situation

Also we have pretty much every topic planned out, and the next FFFs are going to be big bois, and I don't want them to be even bigger

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Klonan wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:57 pm
I don't really want to, it is quite an embarrassing situation on both sides, and at this time we still don't have any resolution with Altagram about it, I don't want to bring more attention to a bad situation
Fair enough. Maybe you can discuss the status once you have a resolution with Altagram. Maybe sometime post 1.0.

TheEnemy42
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheEnemy42 »

Best of luck for solving this. In the meantime I hope you'll be able to find a way to merge the work of Altagram and the changes we volunteers are making on Crowdin since Altagram pulled their working document.

TheEnemy42
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheEnemy42 »

Success! :D

Wow, that took quite an effort and even as I was done they just added a new bunch, how rude ;)

Still room for improvement but for now I think it's decent and hopefully that's good enough for release. I'm thinking of looking at the Factorio Web project which I believe is used for the Steam product page. Having a good landing page could be helpful for sales.
Attachments
Factorio-danish-100-100.jpg
Factorio-danish-100-100.jpg (21.77 KiB) Viewed 2935 times

Return to “Translations”