[English] Nuclear Phrasing Inconsistencies

Discuss translation contributions here.
valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[English] Nuclear Phrasing Inconsistencies

Post by valneq »

Hello there,

in the English version of the game, the phrasing for lots of the nuclear stuff is just weirdly inconsistent. At first I was surprised to see YouTubers be confused about item names but then I realized the game itself is not consistent with that. Take the following item names:

Nuclear fuel = The uranium enhanced version of rocket fuel. Very high vehicle acceleration.
Uranium fuel cell = The thing that a nuclear reactor uses as input to produce heat.
Used up uranium fuel cell = The waste product of the above process.

However,
entity-description:nuclear-reactor = Uses nuclear fuel to generate heat. The heat output increases when placed next to other reactors.
recipe-name:nuclear-fuel-reprocessing = Nuclear Fuel Reprocessing
technology-name:nuclear-fuel-reprocessing = Nuclear Fuel Reprocessing
technology-description:nuclear-fuel-reprocessing = The process of reprocessing used nuclear fuel to create uranium-238.

I do understand that, in principle, a "uranium fuel cell" is some type of "nuclear fuel". However, there is a specific different item with exactly this name.

Why not have the second set of strings be "nuclear fuel" -> "uranium fuel"? I don't insinst on having the "cell" everywhere.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [English] Nuclear Phrasing Inconsistencies

Post by valneq »

Oh I see what is going on. Apparently there is a fuel type (or fuel category) that is called "nuclear fuel", and the uranium fuel cells belong to that category. However, the item "Nuclear fuel" belongs to the category "burnable fuel" o_O

I don't recall that the fuel categories were printed before the recent tooltip changes, and I never did any modding myself. This is why I was not aware of the categories.

Nonetheless, I insist that this is highly confusing.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I'll deal with this for the next major release, a few things need to be sorted out related uranium/nuclear terminology

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Thanks a lot for the reply :)

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Klonan wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:45 pm
I'll deal with this for the next major release, a few things need to be sorted out related uranium/nuclear terminology
Seeing this did not make it into 0.18 experimental yet, just want to make sure you are planning to address this before 1.0, or even better before 0.18 stable.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

valneq wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:32 pm
Klonan wrote:
Seeing this did not make it into 0.18 experimental yet, just want to make sure you are planning to address this before 1.0, or even better before 0.18 stable.
Right, I forgot about it, I'll deal with it next week

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Klonan wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:52 pm
Great!

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I saw the changes to the descriptions of reactors and reprocessing of used up fuel cells. I fully approve of them!

But don't forget to also consider changing the name of the item "nuclear fuel" (the uranium enriched rocket fuel) because it belongs to the burner fuel type but collides with the fuel type for nuclear reactors. The latter is also referenced in the technology "nuclear fuel reprocessing".

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Klonan wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:52 pm
valneq wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:32 pm
Klonan wrote:
I want to briefly bump this issue. In 0.18.28 we still have
item-name:nuclear-fuel=Nuclear fuel
fuel-category-name:nuclear=Nuclear fuel

But item is not of that fuel category. In my eyes this is source for a lot of confusion for many players. And also makes it difficult to find consistent translations.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

This issue still persists in 1.0.0. Is there any chance this will be changed for 1.1?
valneq wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm
item-name:nuclear-fuel=Nuclear fuel
fuel-category-name:nuclear=Nuclear fuel

But item is not of that fuel category. In my eyes this is source for a lot of confusion for many players. And also makes it difficult to find consistent translations.
And while we are at it, people brought to my attention that what the game calls a "uranium fuel cell" should actually be called a "uranium fuel element". Fuel cells do different kinds of stuff, and are mostly known in the context of extracting energy from chemical reactions like 2 H₂ + O₂ → 2 H₂O, not from nuclear reactions.

Return to “Translations”