Web based translations

Discuss translation contributions here.
Bannert
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Web based translations

Post by Bannert »

cube wrote:Thanks. Do you understand russian? Are the translations incorrect?
I'm native speaker, they are correct, but 90% of them are meaningless duplication of good old translations - for example https://crowdin.com/translate/factorio/6/en-ru#295 and 10% - are slightly modified versions - https://crowdin.com/translate/factorio/6/en-ru#366 (weird word-to-word translation, flex19 and sevskii already had much better alternatives).

Carionto
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Carionto »

Hello, could i request that Latvian is added. I`m a translation student and want to get more practice, and if i can also contribute at the same time, then great.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Carionto wrote:Hello, could i request that Latvian is added. I`m a translation student and want to get more practice, and if i can also contribute at the same time, then great.
Added.

tablekwan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tablekwan »

trying to translat the Chinese Traditional, hope it will be easier then i do it in downloading the file then edit it :p

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

cube wrote:
Vitduo wrote:Another question: should I use INI files instead CFG?
You mean when modding? For translating factorio itself you don't need to set extensions anywhere.
For modding you should still use cfg files, ini is used only on crowdin because it doesn't support cfg as an extension.
It does make sense, since in most software/games, text strings (and translations) are in .ini files. The .cfg files are not so popular anymore. Maybe you should switch to .ini files if the crowdin system does the job.

Anyway, I still have the hard job of inverting the hebrew language files text string and now (thanks to @dev-il) that I'v found "Crowdin" I know where the rest of the text strings are and I have the honor of going back to working on adding them too...

tnx :x
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

I really like the web based translation system but I don't know how to "approve" these translations.
Former moderator.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Kajanor wrote:I really like the web based translation system but I don't know how to "approve" these translations.
I think only the project owners can approve those translations. They are using the translations whether they are "approved" or not it seems, because they can't confirm if the translated versions are actually good.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

You can vote for the translations, a few people have some extra level of permissions (reviewer, or something like that) and can approve them.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

cube wrote:You can vote for the translations, a few people have some extra level of permissions (reviewer, or something like that) and can approve them.
Could I do that for the German translation, too?
Former moderator.

swissnetizen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by swissnetizen »

Can you add Esperanto?

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

swissnetizen wrote:Can you add Esperanto?
Yay, I like esperanto :-) Added.

artdekdok
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by artdekdok »

Can you add Thai? :geek:

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

artdekdok wrote:Can you add Thai? :geek:
Added.

Alvaroch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Alvaroch »

Hello Factorio Team:

I was reading the forum topics related to the Spanish translation of Factorio and I got interested in the topic. I'm a professional translator from English to Spanish living far away from you (in Chile) and I'd like to contribute by checking what has already been translated.

A friendly advise that I wanted to share is that you should not allow anyone to translate unless he's got proven record as a translator. Bad translations such as those found in the earlier versions can make the game look unprofessional and give you a bad reputation in the community the game was translated for. Crowdsourcing is great for saving money but always pay attention to who and what is translating.

The translations offered by the community can also have "bugs" if you wan't to call it that way and should be fixed. For example, I've noticed that "transport belt" is translated as "cinta transportadora" and "cinta de transporte" (for the quick version of it). Another example is the case of "laser turret" which is translated as "torretas láser" using a plural form unlike the english version which uses a singular form. Finally, "Cience Pack" is translated as "paquete de ciencias", instead of "Paquete de ciencias" with the proper capitalization. These might look like small mistakes, but translations should keep consistency to improve their quality. I have not yet seen severe mistakes but I'll let you know if I find some.

In general, translators are people who work in the business after long years of language, culture and translation technology studies and they don't become such just because they can speak two languages. ;)

The game is awesome (and I play it several hours a week) and I wouldn't like to see it's reputation affected by improper localizations :)

Cheers!

Darkoy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Darkoy »

Carionto wrote:Hello, could i request that Latvian is added. I`m a translation student and want to get more practice, and if i can also contribute at the same time, then great.
Hi, could I help you with the translations? I'm Latvian myself and I want to help the game's developement, so I could help a bit!

Jord5792
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Jord5792 »

Hello,
Would you be able to add Irish?

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Jord5792 wrote:Hello,
Would you be able to add Irish?
Added

Talguy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Talguy »

I just fully translated the trailer into Dutch :)

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

As reported in the translation itself:
Please hide string 2388 (Item Request Proxy) as it is not visible in the game.
Former moderator.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Kajanor wrote:As reported in the translation itself:
Please hide string 2388 (Item Request Proxy) as it is not visible in the game.
The item is accessible, just a little hidden. Try making a blueprint of an assembling machine with modules and give the robots only the assembling machine so that the modules are missing. Then the built machine will have a blue warning icon (called item request proxy) on top which can be used to cancel the module request.

Return to “Translations”