Web based translations

Discuss translation contributions here.
cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Web based translations

Post by cube »

Fallschrimjager wrote:Can you guys please add Albanian to the list? I'm ready and committed to fully translate the game into Albanian.
Thanks in advance.
It's threre now :-)

sangguy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sangguy »

Hi, can translation for North Korean be added?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

sangguy wrote:Hi, can translation for North Korean be added?
Not really, we don't really have much demand for it...

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Klonan wrote:
lol

Also, doesn't Korean cover both North and South (i.e. there aren't any major differences in language)?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

Jap2.0 wrote:lol

Also, doesn't Korean cover both North and South (i.e. there aren't any major differences in language)?
North Korea uses a different dialect of the Korean language than South Korea. Basically like Ameriacan English is slightly different than British English.
Former moderator.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Klonan wrote:
How difficult would it be to make adding new languages moddable? The current system looks generic enough as to support a simple prototype format like

Code: Select all

data.raw.extend = {
  type='locale',
  name='zh-CN',
  display_names={ --optional localised display names
   en='Simplified Chinese',
   de='Vereinfachtes Chinesisch',
   ja='簡体字中国語'
   },
  fallbacks={'zh-TW','en'},
  }
As the engine already automatically collects and processes all .cfg files from core/base/mod folders and merge them into one it would then be up to the mods to supply a full set of strings and put them into the right folder.

Reason:
Mostly the guy who wanted to make a "simple english" locale for children. But also this case. And it would remove the requirement to ask you (=the dev team) for permission every time somebody wants to support his own language even if there's no larger demand. Minecraft has for example also locales for weird stuff like "Pirate", "Klingon" or constructed languages like Esperanto.

Addendum:
Just to be clear. I'm asking this from a purely technical perspective. How mods that want to add translations manage collaboration would be up to them and wouldn't be on the official system.

sangguy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sangguy »

Klonan wrote:

But their language is slightly different. I just need to change the current existing South Korean language translation.
I myself, being a native Korean speaker, I can translate it.
If you can just clone the current Korean translation, Ill do the modification.

please?

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

sangguy wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:30 am
But their language is slightly different. I just need to change the current existing South Korean language translation.
Judging by the list of languages in Crowdin, they couldn't add North Korean even if they wanted as it simply isn't an available choice (as of Nov 2018). For this reason, I'd say that the way to go is the creation of a mod that changes some strings in the South Korean localization (I'm assuming that there's a lot of overlap).

Of course, you can always try contacting Crowding to ask them to add the language.
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Dev-iL wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:05 pm
sangguy wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:30 am
Judging by the list of languages in Crowdin, they couldn't add North Korean even if they wanted as it simply isn't an available choice (as of Nov 2018). For this reason, I'd say that the way to go is the creation of a mod that changes some strings in the South Korean localization (I'm assuming that there's a lot of overlap).

Of course, you can always try contacting Crowding to ask them to add the language.
Looking at that list we need to work on adding Latin and upside down English. :P
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

wjy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wjy »

Hi, I would like to apply for "Chinese Traditional" proofreader. But I'm not sure how to do it. I have tried PM Klonan on Crowdin on Feb 2nd but didn't get a useful response. Maybe he is still too busy to read/understand my request.

"Chinese Traditional" has a major difference from "Chinese Simplified" hence it need another proofreader. According to my understanding, there are no proofreaders in "Chinese Traditional" and I would like to be the one.

Starting review works as soon as possible is important since the experiment version of game updates frequently recently. Thus I can fix and review translations/translation context pretty quickly.

Thanks for assistance.
Traditional Chinese proofreader of Factorio.
Crowdin profile: https://crowdin.com/profile/willy04wu69

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

wjy wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:58 am
Hi, I would like to apply for "Chinese Traditional" proofreader. But I'm not sure how to do it. I have tried PM Klonan on Crowdin on Feb 2nd but didn't get a useful response. Maybe he is still too busy to read/understand my request.

"Chinese Traditional" has a major difference from "Chinese Simplified" hence it need another proofreader. According to my understanding, there are no proofreaders in "Chinese Traditional" and I would like to be the one.

Starting review works as soon as possible is important since the experiment version of game updates frequently recently. Thus I can fix and review translations/translation context pretty quickly.

Thanks for assistance.
We already have a proofreader for both simplified and traditional Chinese, who works closely with us.

wjy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wjy »

Klonan wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:55 am
wjy wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:58 am

Thanks for assistance.
We already have a proofreader for both simplified and traditional Chinese, who works closely with us.
Glad, and surprised to see you already have proofreaders for Traditional Chinese.

I am wondering what's Traditional Chinese variant the proofreader working on? Taiwan and Honk Kong people both use Traditional Chinese but the 2 Traditional Chinese also have major difference. Some other translating projects separate those as "Chinese (Taiwan)" and "Chinese (Hong Kong)". Crowdin also support these 2 languages. The language codes are zh-TW and zh-HK.

Also, are the reviewed translations planned to only be publishd on 1.0 release? If so, do the Traditional Chinese translations of Crowdin only be used before 1.0? Or... still no decision on this?

Edit:
Found out who's the proofreader. I doubt that whether he is really doing the works. Seems totally no progress in Traditional Chinese.

2nd Edit:
Thank Klonan for promoting me to proofreader. Issue solved.
Traditional Chinese proofreader of Factorio.
Crowdin profile: https://crowdin.com/profile/willy04wu69

Sutterkane
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sutterkane »

Hey guys!

May I be added as italian Factorio translator?

I am translating Escape from Tarkov too :)

Please let me know

Cheers

Tom

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Sutterkane wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:18 pm
May I be added as italian Factorio translator?
Anyone can help out with the translation. Just head over to Crowdin:
https://crowdin.com/project/factorio/it

Once registered, you are a translator and can vote for or against existing translations and add new translations. Normally the the translation with the most upvotes takes precedence, the most recent one if several have the same vote.

However, in each language you normally have special users called proofreaders. They can approve existing translations, overriding the votes of the normal translators. If you dislike an approved translation and have a better suggestion, you can suggest a new one and open an issue on Crowdin explaining the problem with the existing translation.

The user 'koltrast' appears to be the current proofreader for Italian, I am not sure if there are additional active proofreaders.

Happy translating!

hertzg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by hertzg »

Can we have Georgian added as a languge?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_language

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

hertzg wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:26 am
Can we have Georgian added as a languge?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_language
There was a time they would add any language that was requested, as long as somebody was willing to contribute to it. Unfortunately, it appears that this time is long gone. I believe I had a conversation with @Klonan about adding Basque (unfortunately cannot find a reference to it) and the gist of it was that it is too late at this stage of the development because it is "more complicated than adding several lines to a config file".
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

TheEnemy42
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheEnemy42 »

Hi there,

I've tried to PM Klonan as that seemed to be what was recommended but didn't get any reply so far.

I've begun a while ago to assist in the Danish translations and noticed low activity and a somewhat low-ish quality in some of the translated strings so I've been working on to improve and unify those. Furthermore not a lot of the translations done have been approved and right now 73% is translated but only 18% has been approved.

It seems you previously had one or more Danish proofreaders but none of them have been active for several years so I'd like to offer myself to take up that role if you'd like. My username on Crowdin is the same as here, TheEnemy42.

Thank you for a great game!
Currently primary Danish translator of Factorio. Feel free to contact me in regards to the translations.

TheEnemy42
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheEnemy42 »

I'd like to bump my request above to become a proofreader for Danish translations. I've translated all of the new campaign files and would like to play through the campaign in Danish to get a better idea of the quality of the translation. I feel it's especially important here as it's the first impression of the game for many.

Edit: I got a message from Klonan saying I'm now a proofreader :)
Currently primary Danish translator of Factorio. Feel free to contact me in regards to the translations.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

TheEnemy42 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:39 pm
Edit: I got a message from Klonan saying I'm now a proofreader :)
Happy translating!

TheEnemy42
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheEnemy42 »

Hehe, thank you. I'm working happily away. I've worked my way from 69% / 18% back in March to 86% / 31% as of today, though a few others have assisted a little. Most of the work is actually streamlining translations across different entries.

Return to “Translations”