"Logistic trash" ==> "Logistic surplus"

Discuss translation contributions here.
Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

"Logistic trash" ==> "Logistic surplus"

Post by Dev-iL »

Long story short - "trash" is a term that belongs in the trash; It sounds more like a placeholder than something that should appear in a respectable game. "surplus" is much better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_surplus

(This idea was inspired by the Russian translation)
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

Sephrat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: "Logistic trash" ==> "Logistic surplus"

Post by Sephrat »

I had the same thought while translating some labels into French: the word-to-word translation doesn't relate to the game feature at all. It sounds like you're about to dump items you don't need anymore, when instead it just gets automatically into a chest for further use.
So far we've translated it into "logistic unloading", but I guess a native English speaker could find something better.

Edit 23/08 : I've reported an issue in this string so that it gets properly reported to the developers. Feel free to contribute by proposing better terms.

Athgaar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Athgaar »

How about "logistic deposit slot" and call the regular ones "logistic withdrawal slot"?
Or, if "withdrawal" makes it too long, "logistic return slot" and the existing "logistic slot".

"Trash" sounds like an item that you want to delete, and "surplus" sounds like an item you wish you hadn't made in the first place. "Withdraw" and "deposit" seem to me to convey the idea of moving things between personal possession and a larger system (admittedly a storage area), while "return" maintains that the normal function of the logistic system is to deliver items to you, not from you (which may be good or bad).

EDIT: whoops sorry for necroposting

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

+1

Sephrat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sephrat »

Athgaar wrote:How about "logistic deposit slot" and call the regular ones "logistic withdrawal slot"?
Or, if "withdrawal" makes it too long, "logistic return slot" and the existing "logistic slot".
+1 I really like those terms, it's inspiring for translation as well. :-)

Return to “Translations”