"Pulse" and "Hold"

Discuss translation contributions here.
Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

"Pulse" and "Hold"

Post by Dev-iL »

Following a discussion I had with one of the other localizers on Crowdin, we seem not to agree on an appropriate name to call these new concepts. What we do agree on is that the English terms probably aren't too good.

The discussion revolves around modes of sending signals to the circuit network about items entering a belt or being grabbed by an inserter. Below is a graphical comparison between the modes, which I made to illustrate the difference:

Basically the idea is what would be appropriate alternative name for the following phenomena, instead of the possibly-vague Pulse / Hold:
  • Pulse (belt) - The signal is sent for only 1 tick when the item enters the belt.
  • Hold (belt) - The signal is sent continuously as long as the items are on the belt.
  • Pulse (inserter) - The signal is sent for only 1 tick when the item is picked up.
  • Hold (inserter) - The signal is sent continuously as long as the inserter is holding the item.
Alternatives may include:
  • Discrete / Continuous (inspired by math)
  • Dots / Dashes (inspired by Morse code)
  • <anything else you can suggest>
Looking forward to hearing ideas!
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

YSX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: "Pulse" and "Hold"

Post by YSX »

Doesn't clear to me, what you want to achieve? :) Multiple signal names, two for belts and two for inserters?
Poor english speaking russian translator =D

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

One could use (item) count/(item) detect
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

YSX wrote:Doesn't clear to me, what you want to achieve? :) Multiple signal names, two for belts and two for inserters?
This is the exact same discussion we had in Crowdin. I was just trying to add some context so that other people can also understand the problem.
What I want to achieve is change the terminology of "Pulse / Hold" to something more comprehensible.
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

fregate84
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fregate84 »

In french, I choose to use someting like :

One time / Continuously

But it's difficulte to translate, because the best names are math manes, but theses names aren't understand by commun people.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Tbh I would rename hold to simply item amount or total amount since thats the amount of items currently on this belt tile.
Pulse is a very appropriate name for a signal and I find it hard to come up with better name.

Sheant
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sheant »

Dev-iL wrote:What we do agree on is that the English terms probably aren't too good.
I know, resurrecting an old discussion is bad, but I ran into this when looking for what the pulse and hold terms mean

When describing computer circuits, these concepts are called edge and level, as in edge triggered and level triggered. But those names may not be the most intuitive either for laymen (they would have been clearer to me though). And you would not use the word triggered either in this case, as you output counts, not 0/1's.

Sheant

Return to “Translations”