English: "cannot be mined"

Discuss translation contributions here.
Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

English: "cannot be mined"

Post by Dev-iL »

This has been mentioned previously in various places/contexts, and so I'm writing it here as well.

Phrases such as "Enemy structures cannot be mined." do not make a lot of sense in English - since it may be unclear what exactly you're trying to do to the structure when you "mine" it. That is, maybe you cannot mine a structure simply because it makes no sense to try hitting a building with a mining pick, rather than the intended meaning which is that you cannot "deconstruct + pick up" enemy buildings.

Moreover, mining resources is fundamentally different in terms of game mechanics from "mining" entities, because:
  • "Mining" entities is something only a player can do (as opposed to drills which mine resources).
  • You can only "mine" an entity once as opposed to resources which can be mined repeatedly.
  • Mining a resource is irreversible (i.e. you cannot take a lump of coal and place it back into a coal deposit to increase its count).
  • And so on...
My suggestion is to replace "mined" with either "mined or picked up" or just "picked up" when appropriate.
Other alternative may include "dismantled" or even the "deconstructed" which is used for bots.
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: English: "cannot be mined"

Post by jockeril »

I think that when talking about structures - the player, like the bots, will deconstruct. Mining should be reserved for ores.
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: English: "cannot be mined"

Post by bobingabout »

I agree.... "cannot be mined" for resource type entities and "cannot be deconstructed" for non-resource entities.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Translations”