Terminology: Rocket vs. Missile

Discuss translation contributions here.
Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Terminology: Rocket vs. Missile

Post by Dev-iL »

Hi all,

In the foreseeable future, Factorio is going to feature rockets being sent into space. However, some craftable weapons are also called rockets.

With reference to the following discussion, I suggest that whatever goes to space remains a rocket, but whatever you shoot at biters gets renamed to missiles, for better differentiation.
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Terminology: Rocket vs. Missile

Post by jockeril »

Dev-iL wrote:Hi all,

In the foreseeable future, Factorio is going to feature rockets being sent into space. However, some craftable weapons are also called rockets.

With reference to the following discussion, I suggest that whatever goes to space remains a rocket, but whatever you shoot at biters gets renamed to missiles, for better differentiation.
+1

I second that suggestion, as it will make it easier to differentiate in most languages and it's consistent with RL terminology, afaik :geek:
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile

"In modern military usage, a missile, or guided missile, is a self-propelled precision-guided munition system, as opposed to an unguided self-propelled munition, referred to as a rocket."

Since the projectiles fired by the rocket launcher always hit their target, I think they qualify as missiles.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

DaveMcW wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile

"In modern military usage, a missile, or guided missile, is a self-propelled precision-guided munition system, as opposed to an unguided self-propelled munition, referred to as a rocket."

Since the projectiles fired by the rocket launcher always hit their target, I think they qualify as missiles.
I was about to write this. Basically:

Rocket - unguided
Missile - guided

Also, I never used rocket launcher in factorio since i twas 2 weak in my opinion but do projectiles from it chase the target? If not its a rocket not missile.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

+1
DaveMcW wrote:"In modern military usage, a missile, or guided missile, is a self-propelled precision-guided munition system, as opposed to an unguided self-propelled munition, referred to as a rocket."
I guess that differenciation only applies to weapons though, because I really hope those non-military rockets that NASA and ESA are shooting up have a guidance system. :D
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

Fred Carter
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Fred Carter »

Hey Dev-iL.......here's my opinion :)

A rocket is so called on the basis of its mode of self-propulsion. A missile is so called on the basis of its being propelled, by a rocket engine or otherwise, for the purpose of doing damage, as a weapon.

The two categories overlap considerably, since rockets are commonly used as propulsion for missiles, with or without in-flight guidance systems. Put an explosive warhead on top of an Atlas rocket, and launch it at an enemy (or practice target), the whole assembly becomes a missile. Put a Mercury capsule on top with John Glenn inside, it is a rocket but not a missile.

The weapon that reportedly brought down the Malaysian airliner was (or is, if considered generically) both a rocket and a missile, and can properly be termed either one—though without the explosive payload that transforms it from mere rocket to missile it would probably not have brought the plane down, so missile is the more adequate term in this case.

Well both the rocket and missile are useful from military point of view. For them both are equally important for them and so they need a good quality of equipments.

There are many companies who are providing these military equipments...well i know few of them :-

[Edited by Koub] : I removed links to commercial websites, anyone interested in this kind of stuff can find them with a simple search with favorite web search engine.

Sephrat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sephrat »

I'll necro this post a bit but it appears nothing has been settled yet.
I don't use rockets in game but after a few tests I believe that rockets are guided: they always hit the targeted enemy even when it moves. Therefore from what have been said on this matter (guided/unguided), I suggest to use the term "missile" instead of "rocket". This would prevent any confusion with the space rocket (for players and for translators, because we always ask the devs whenever a string with this word appears).

Return to “Translations”