[Discussion] Adding "basic" / "simple" before some items

Discuss translation contributions here.
Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Discussion] Adding "basic" / "simple" before some items

Post by Dev-iL »

Hi all,

Let me start by saying that this post is partly a translation discussion and partly a suggestions for renaming some things in the game.

This is an idea that was suggested in the Russian translation discussion of "Electronic circuit". Here's my translation into English:
...original strings which refer to items having several levels, should include "basic"/"simple" in their name instead of "no modifier" (e.g. "basic transport belt" as opposed to just "transport belt")... This would also imply that there are other levels to it.
I would like to add to this that I generally think that numbers in names are not a good thing, and is probably just some placeholder the developers didn't get around to fixing.. The only place I think I saw numbers in names of entities\technologies was in Civ when exhausting the tech tree and all you get are "future tech 15" etc.

Consider electric poles - we have small/medium/big and not [nothing]/big/giant.
Consider beacons - there is currently only one type, but it's "basic" nonetheless.

Examples I could think of where something like this applies:
  • Transport belts/spitters/underground.
  • Circuits (e.g. green would be "basic circuit", red will remain "advanced circuit", blue would also be some sort of a "circuit" instead of "processing unit")
  • Assembly machines, instead of "1","2","3"...
  • Speed modules (same terminology as in circuits)
  • Technology names for the electronics group (currently: "electronics", "advanced electronics", "advanced electronics 2")
Thoughts?
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

Lishget
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Discussion] Adding "basic" / "simple" before some items

Post by Lishget »

I agree. In my mod i have changed it, where i can. So my Assembler have the Names:

Code: Select all

assembling-machine-1=Montagemaschine
assembling-machine-2=Fabrikator
assembling-machine-3=Konstruktor
I have made it similar by other items. By the technologies i couldn't change this, because the entry for a tech only one time exist.
Factorio Sprachverbesserung
Lishgets TMod

My Mods are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/.

Return to “Translations”