[1.1.21] Paste behavior is different when having no item/intermediate/place-able item in hand

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[1.1.21] Paste behavior is different when having no item/intermediate/place-able item in hand

Post by AntiElitz »

First of all I have to clarify that i am not sure if this is a bug or intended behavior. If this happens to not be a bug please move it the the ideas ans suggestions area. It's not easy to know my my perspective.

So when you hold no item in the hand you can paste recipes over multiple entities.
If you hold an intermediate in hand you can paste a recipe on the entity you click down on, but cannot drag over multiple entities.
If you hold an place-able entity in hand, like a splitter, you cannot paste at all.

In 1.0 place-able entities did behave the same as intermediates in hand when pasting. This changed in 1.1. I don't know if that change was intentionally. Neither I do know if the inconsistencies above are intentional, or are a bug.

Personally I'd like it best if you could paste and drag recipes regardless of weather or what item you have in your hand.
Additional information that may be relevant: I rebound copy to MMB and paste to RMB.

Detailed explanation video: https://youtu.be/Et6Z4stYbNI

Best's

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.21] Paste behavior is different when having no item/intermediate/place-able item in hand

Post by Rseding91 »

The not being able to paste by dragging when anything is in the cursor was never intended. In the past pasting was allowed regardless of what was in the hand but then issues arose like building ghost tiles by holding shift and dragging where it would paste settings as you build ghosts. Or shift + click to build an entity ghost of something and mistakenly pasting settings at the same time.

So, i've fixed that pasting-by-dragging when holding non-buildable stuff didn't work for the next version of 1.1 - whenever that might be.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.21] Paste behavior is different when having no item/intermediate/place-able item in hand

Post by AntiElitz »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:06 am
The not being able to paste by dragging when anything is in the cursor was never intended. In the past pasting was allowed regardless of what was in the hand but then issues arose like building ghost tiles by holding shift and dragging where it would paste settings as you build ghosts. Or shift + click to build an entity ghost of something and mistakenly pasting settings at the same time.

So, i've fixed that pasting-by-dragging when holding non-buildable stuff didn't work for the next version of 1.1 - whenever that might be.
Cool! Thanks for taking a look. I'm still a bit said that one cannot paste with an entity in the hand anymore since this was really handy for speedrunning with different controls, but I'll get over it. I understand the complications it brings with it.

krami
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by krami »

I understand this issue was already fixed with lightning speed.
Still the underlying issue is that ghost building and recpie/settings copying use the same default keybind.(shift)
How about only disabling copying with item in hand if the keybinds would collide?
I know it would be an obscure hidden feature, but speedrunners would certainly appreciate that

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”