[Rseding] [1.0.0] With map zoomed to "radar level" you can hear things in unrevealed chunks

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Rseding] [1.0.0] With map zoomed to "radar level" you can hear things in unrevealed chunks

Post by ManaUser »

So in the map, if you zoom in to the level where visible areas become a live picture, you can hear sounds from any part of the map, even if not visible, or never revealed (black). Because spawners regularly emit a gross burbling sound, means you can locate them past the edge of the visible map or other places where you shouldn't have access to that information.

As an example, I can hear biters at A, B and C.
BiterSounds.png
BiterSounds.png (35.84 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
I would expect to hear them only at A where I actually get a live picture too. Well, arguably radar view shouldn't have sound at all, but that wouldn't be fun I suppose.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] With map zoomed to "radar level" you can hear things in unrevealed chunks

Post by mmmPI »

I would argue that in real life too you can hear things further than you can see sometimes, like at night, or when there is fog , personnaly when i make noise at my place the neighboor says he can hear it very well providing i make the noise loud enough.

joke aside i think if you hear them on C it's becaused they are already generated, there is a thin border around the edge of the map that is generated but unrevealed. If you try to spy further away in the dark i don't think you would hear anything, even though while going there , the terrain generating could spawn some of them.

The sound in radar view is useful when you make alerts with speaker, you don't have to make them global, the moment you zoom in a place you hear it, also you can make music contraption in the corner of the map, and anyone could listen to them from their location just by zooming in, it's a cool feature ! with little side effect i suppose :).

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] With map zoomed to "radar level" you can hear things in unrevealed chunks

Post by ManaUser »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:48 am
I would argue that in real life too you can hear things further than you can see sometimes
Well sure, I kind of anticipated that comment, but the thing is this has unlimited range. You can hear any generated chunk, no matter how far it is from you or a radar, which doesn't really seem reasonable or intentional.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Related duplicates: 86522, 84553

gabberworld
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gabberworld »

maybe that's why there is a fps drop in map view what i tell to Rseding91 sometime ago

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”