[0.18.5] Graphics lock up when zooming in on distant areas on map in multiplayer

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
retep998
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.18.5] Graphics lock up when zooming in on distant areas on map in multiplayer

Post by retep998 »

Typically I can zoom in on the area where the player is just fine, but if I move the zoomed in map view far enough away or zoom in on a far away area, it will suddenly lock up the graphics. Sound will still play and CPU will be used but it will refuse to render any more frames.

Does not occur in Factorio 0.18.4.

Issue occurs in multiplayer but does not occur with the exact same save in singleplayer.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(7.24 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Last edited by retep998 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

retep998
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.18.5] Graphics lock up when zooming in on map

Post by retep998 »

I'm not entirely sure why this was moved to technical support but this issue does not happen with 0.18.4 or any other version of Factorio. It only started happening with 0.18.5.

Also it appears to be a multiplayer specific issue as loading the same save in singleplayer does not cause any issues when zooming in.

Jorn86
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.18.5] Graphics lock up when zooming in on distant areas on map in multiplayer

Post by Jorn86 »

Same exact issue here. I can provide a log if needed. This happens for me and my friend, but my other friend (with a potato for a pc) doesn't have the issue.

Update: Only happens under certain conditions. Might be related to the bot building warnings, the allied player that was there, or a specific entity that happened to be present where I was zooming in. It didn't happen when I zoomed in on myself.
Last edited by Jorn86 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.18.5] Graphics lock up when zooming in on distant areas on map in multiplayer

Post by Loewchen »

Jorn86 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:59 pm
I can provide a log if needed.
Never ask, always do.

Kalpa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kalpa »

Sort of confirming this, I updated my headless server to .18.5 in hopes of updating some nuclear plants with heat pipes as heat pipe corruption was seemingly fixed (might be premature joy there tho...). Connected with a local client. After spamming a few heat pipe induced blueprints around and were zooming in on map, the game just hung up and became unresponsive. Maximum CPU usage was still shown, no graphics updated, music kept playing without a hiccup. No idea if I was able to get into menu or not. Alt+F4 did nothing. Ended up killing the Factorio process from task manager.

Server commandline shows me disconnecting from the game. Factorio log shows nothing of importance.

Submitting the local client-side log as the attachment. It ends abruptly.

Here a quick copypaste from the end of server-side log, nothing remarkable there either (except the abrubt disconnect notification)

Edit: It should be noted the server showed me disconnected well before I went into killing the process from task manager. So whatever happened with the hangup, it certainly killed the talk with server at that point (or soon after).

Code: Select all

201.448 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:4193: UpdateTick (32680709) processed PlayerJoinGame peerID(1) playerIndex(33) mode(connect) 
 201.517 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:925: updateTick(32680712) received stateChanged peerID(1) oldState(WaitingForCommandToStartSendingTickClosures) newState(InGame)
 293.686 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:1039: Disconnect notification for peer (1)
 293.686 Info ServerSynchronizer.cpp:618: nextHeartbeatSequenceNumber(6816) removing peer(1).
 295.107 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:1189: Auto saving map as C:\Pelit\factorio_dedicated\Factorio_0.18.5\saves/0.18_MP_4.zip
 295.108 Info AppManager.cpp:395: Saving game as C:\Pelit\factorio_dedicated\Factorio_0.18.5\saves/0.18_MP_4.zip
 297.548 Info AppManagerStates.cpp:1843: Saving finished
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(8.25 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Last edited by Kalpa on Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Oh shoot. You very much made it sound like issue with graphics driver or Windows, initially. But after your additional info, I was able to reproduce it and it indeed is a bug. Hotfix (0.18.6) coming soon.

Thanks for the report(s)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”