[Rseding] [0.17.72] Doesn't allow loading Industrial Revolution mod

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Rseding] [0.17.72] Doesn't allow loading Industrial Revolution mod

Post by mrvn »

The Industrial Revolution mod can't be enabled (colored red) but no reason is given why:
mod-bug.png
mod-bug.png (514.43 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
The reason why it can't load is:

"(?)deadlock-beltboxes-loaders >= 2.2.1",

But (?) dependencies seem to not be shown in the GUI.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(129.62 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.72] Doesn't allow loading Industrial Revolution mod

Post by Bilka »

Ooooooh the issue is that belt boxes is too low of a version.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Hidden dependencies in hidden shocker.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I guess I could change it so if the hidden required dependency isn't met it still shows. But I don't know if that's an appropriate "fix" since the mod author made it hidden for a reason.

Basically I don't have a perfect solution. Maybe hidden required dependencies don't make sense? But they exist as a thing right now and seemingly people are using them.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:24 pm
hidden required dependencies don't make sense
I agree.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

DaveMcW wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:47 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
hidden required dependencies don't make sense
I agree.
This is a hidden optional dependency. The version number is only there because the mod relies on a feature provided by that version, back in June, that isn't in previous versions. The worst that can happen is that some massively out of date version of the optionally-required mod prevents it loading. Big deal, update your mods.

But Marvin has edited the mod version in question from some ancient version from months and months ago, so I'm guessing they don't want to overwrite it with the updated version that IR requires. (They could have just changed the mod name if they were going to fork it and avoid all of these shenanigans, but no, better to make a name-and-shame bug report to Wube about it I guess.) If the version requirement wasn't there, the game wouldn't even load if some decrepit version of the mod is still installed.

If the game did warn people about hidden dependencies which are below the version required, that would be fine. I only use hidden dependencies to control loading order because there's no other choice. The reason they are hidden is that players seem to think that optional dependencies are recommendations. They are not. As long as there is that widespread perception error, I will continue to use hidden ones if I'm only interested in loading order, or until they're suddenly taken away again on a whim.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I believe the mod UI could communicate this case better. As Deadlock says: hidden optional dependencies make perfect sense, especially with minimal version requirements. If the requirement is installed, but in an incompatible version, why not list something like "Incompatible with: beltboxes<2.2.1".

Wube could decide to show this incompatibility for all optional dependencies with minimal version number, or only for the optional dependencies that are both installed and activated. Either choice might be reasonable.

But then again: I don't understand why anyone would not keep their mods up to date.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Why not disable the mod with the wrong version intead of the requesting mod?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

steinio wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:31 pm
Why not disable the mod with the wrong version intead of the requesting mod?
I think it is more helpful for the user if the mod UI communicates "Please update beltboxes to at least version 2.2.1 in order to activate industrial revolution" in some way, instead of just deactivating beltboxes for being out of date, or refusing to activate industrial revolution.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

It's not about why one mod is kept at a lower version or which mod to update or disable.

The problem is: THE GUI DOES NOT SHOW THE CONFLICT.

An optional dependency with a minimum version is considered a conflict with a lower version.
Rseding91 wrote:
I guess I could change it so if the hidden required dependency isn't met it still shows. But I don't know if that's an appropriate "fix" since the mod author made it hidden for a reason.

Basically I don't have a perfect solution. Maybe hidden required dependencies don't make sense? But they exist as a thing right now and seemingly people are using them.
Showing when a hidden optional depends is in conflict is the appropriate "fix". That's all that is needed really. The user can then decide to disable one of the mods or update them or whatever.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”