[posila] [0.17.69] Repeated update announcements on startup

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[posila] [0.17.69] Repeated update announcements on startup

Post by Khagan »

I've just returned to playing Factorio after a couple of months gap. Naturally, the first time I started the game after the gap I was informed about a whole bunch of updates (from 0.17.61 to 0.17.69); I clicked 'Confirm' to acknowledge them. That should have been a 'one-off', but now whenever I start the game up, I get the whole update report presented to me again.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(3.83 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.69] Repeated update announcements on startup

Post by boskid »

Same happens to me when new release happens and then i am trying to crash factorio. If it crashes, next time running factorio will again show me changelog. Maybe related?

If it happen again - when running factorio there is again changelog, could you please upload factorio-previous.log to verify if factorio exited cleanly or if there were some crashes when closing?

wheybags
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [Wheybags] [0.17.69] Repeated update announcements on startup

Post by wheybags »

Could you post your player-data.json? (edit and remove the service-token section though)

Allaizn
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Allaizn »

This also happens to me currently, I added the player-data.json as requested
Attachments
player-data - Copy.json
(58.75 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

boskid wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:56 am
Same happens to me when new release happens and then i am trying to crash factorio. If it crashes, next time running factorio will again show me changelog. Maybe related?
No, this doesn't have anything to do with crashes. I can't remember the last time Factorio crashed for me.
wheybags wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:33 pm
Could you post your player-data.json? (edit and remove the service-token section though)
Attached, minus identifying data.
Attachments
player-data.json
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Khagan wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 pm
No, this doesn't have anything to do with crashes. I can't remember the last time Factorio crashed for me.
Do you use the [Exit] button in the main menu or Alt+F4 to close the game when you're done playing?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

Khagan wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 pm
Why not? maybe not full crash but "unable to update player-data.json" would be enough to keep showing changelog and maybe would show in factorio-previous.log something like "unable to write file"? idk

-- edit:
Allaizn player-data
Khagan player-data

Allaizn
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Allaizn »

Do you use the [Exit] button in the main menu or Alt+F4 to close the game when you're done playing?
I tried the [Exit] button, or the X on the top right (I play in windowed mode) and both retained the issue - it's not 100% consistent however. It pops up for a while and then stops again, only to reappear after a while (I'm pretty sure that an update is needed to trigger it again)

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:47 pm
Usually the button, since I would normally quit immediately after saving, and so already be in the menu; I might use Command-Q if I were in a hurry.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

This has gone away for me (at least for now).

The upgrade to 0.17.71 seems to have been correctly registered in the required place, wherever that is (evidently not player-data.json), and Factorio no longer thinks that the last time I played it was still 0.17.60.

Allaizn
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Allaizn »

I cannot confirm that .71 magically fixed this - it still happens for me, so please don't close this report until someone finds out why this happens in the first place.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Allaizn wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:52 am
I cannot confirm that .71 magically fixed this - it still happens for me, so please don't close this report until someone finds out why this happens in the first place.
Open folder where you Steam client installed (e.g C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam), open userdata subfolder and search for player-data.json in it (it should be in userdata\########\427520\remote\player-data.json) and see what version is saved in that.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

posila wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:07 am
Open folder where you Steam client installed (e.g C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam), open userdata subfolder and search for player-data.json in it (it should be in userdata\########\427520\remote\player-data.json) and see what version is saved in that.
Both Allaizn and I posted our player-data.json files earlier in this thread, and they contained the correct version number.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Khagan wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:46 am
Both Allaizn and I posted our player-data.json files earlier in this thread, and they contained the correct version number.
I assumed you both posted the one from %APPDATA%\Factorio, not the one from Steam's local Cloud cache.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

posila wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:50 am
I assumed you both posted the one from %APPDATA%\Factorio, not the one from Steam's local Cloud cache.
Bullseye! I hadn't realised there were two versions (how does Factorio itself choose which to use?). The current player-data file in my Steam cache is correct, but a backup from just before the 0.17.71 update said that the last played version was 0.17.60, instead of the then-correct 0.17.70.

I don't usually have the Steam Cloud turned on anyway, so it surprises me that the cache is relevant.

Allaizn
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Allaizn »

posila wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:07 am
posila wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:50 am
Yep, bingo here as well. The %appdata% copy has the correct version, while the steam remote one has the old one. I guess the bug is found now, but how do we fix it? E.g. I have cloud saves turned off since long ago (far longer than this issue), so I'm guessing there is some other option?
It also explains nicely why this issue happens so sporadically: once steam finally makes a backup, it'll disappear until the next update :idea:

Why is player-data in the remote cache anyway? From what I can see it's at best the command history that you'd want to transfer, but that's really minor (maybe also which tutorials you already completed, but that's also not important at all).

wheybags
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by wheybags »

Ok, it looks like when the game is running through steam, it only uses the steam cloud version of player-data.json.
Since you have steam cloud disabled, this never gets updated. I will look into detecting if you have steam cloud disabled.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Please post logs from 0.17.72 if you still have this issue (log of entire run, including Factorio closing).
wheybags wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:06 am
Ok, it looks like when the game is running through steam, it only uses the steam cloud version of player-data.json.
Since you have steam cloud disabled, this never gets updated. I will look into detecting if you have steam cloud disabled.
This is intentional. Steam's Remote storage works regardless if cloud is enabled or not, the files are saved only to the local cache. When Steam was integrated originally, we would compare timestamps of local version (in %APPDATA%) and cloud version and load the one that seemed newest (and not use remote storage at all if cloud was disabled), but that was causing some issues, so kovarex changed it to use the version from cloud storage always.

Allaizn
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [posila] [0.17.69] Repeated update announcements on startup

Post by Allaizn »

posila wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:12 am
Please post logs from 0.17.72 if you still have this issue
Not sure if you meant me, but here you go anyway.
I never bothered to read the log just because the update notification came up even though it shouldn't, but it actually contains relevant info:
4.458 Quitting: user-quit.
4.466 Error SteamContext.cpp:175: Failed to write "achievements.dat" to Steam Cloud. Size: 1531, Cloud Storage: Total=999999999, Available=0
4.473 Error SteamContext.cpp:175: Failed to write "player-data.json" to Steam Cloud. Size: 60570, Cloud Storage: Total=999999999, Available=0
Doesn't say why the error happens though. Please ask for anything else you need to get this fixed (here or on Discord) :)
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5.04 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [posila] [0.17.69] Repeated update announcements on startup

Post by Khagan »

As the original reporter of what is currently the sole 'Assigned' bug, should I feel personally responsible for the fact that 1.1 has not yet been released? :)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”