[0.17.69] Factorio causes my screen to flicker, only turning monitor off and on fixes it

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Bloodymight
Inserter
Inserter

[0.17.69] Factorio causes my screen to flicker, only turning monitor off and on fixes it

Post by Bloodymight »

Hi,

when I start factorio my monitor starts flickering/"blinking"(blackscreen)

I only have this issue with factorio, the flickering doesn't stop when alt tabbing or closing factorio, I have to turn my monitor off and on to make it stop.

I didn't have this issue in 0.16.xx when I last played factorio last year but then I had a different monitor and GPU.

So I tried to look where it started:

first I wanted to try 0.16.51 again to see if it's a monitor or an AMD driver issue, but trying to start that version gives me this error:
https://imgur.com/a/RDBfFWa

So I went back to 0.17.xx.
Launching 0.17.57 gave me the same flickering problem, since I couldn't download an earlier version over steam,
I went to your website and jumped between versions..(only tried the .zip versions, shouldn't matter tho)

0.17.38 doesn't have the issue
0.17.40 no flickering
0.17.45 no flickering

0.17.46 has the flickering issue

I'm using Windows 8.1 64bit and a Vega 56 in combination with a LG 38UC99 Monitor OCed via CRU to 85Hz, I have the same issue at 75Hz (stock monitor settings).
Setting my monitor to 60 Hz fixes the flickering on the latest factorio version.
The problem with this monitor is that it only supports >60Hz when I turn on freesync or motion blur reduction.
I just wanted to throw that information out there, hoping it might help.

and again I don't have this issue in any other game I play/played, that's why I'm posting here.

PS: It would be nice if I didn't have to download the game everytime I change version on steam :| ... So thank you for providing earlier versions on your website.

Edit: whoops, I think I posted this on the wrong subforum, sorry :oops:

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.69] Factorio causes my screen to flicker, only turning monitor off and on fixes it

Post by posila »

Hello, try to disable "Use flip presentation model" in graphics setting and restart the game.

0.16.51 doesn't like 0.17 config file, so you need to delete it to be able to downgrade to 0.16 (it's in %APPDATA%\Factorio\config\config.ini)

Bloodymight
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.17.69] Factorio causes my screen to flicker, only turning monitor off and on fixes it

Post by Bloodymight »

It even sais "...toggle this option if you experience graphical glitches..."

That fixed it, thanks :D

I feel stupid now

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”