tutorial campaign not triggering

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
lapantouflemagic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

tutorial campaign not triggering

Post by lapantouflemagic »

hi guy !
i bought the game friday or so, and played the very first tutorial missions. i am just after the part where you had too build radars to find a crash site (i mean, the mission after that)

so i'm at the part where i'm told to build labs to research the automation tech, i can build a lab, i can make the red science thing that i assume it's suppose to use. but in the lab window, there is no research to select, i dumped 40 red flasks or so inside but they are not consumed... so i just don't understand what's supposed to happen.

it could just be me being retarded, but the game also tells me that i should build some factory to automatize the production of red science flasks, except it doesn't give me the blueprint to make this building. (i searched throughly, it's not there), i could still reclaim an other one that was making threadmills that i don't need right now, but i'm confident it's not what's expected.

i guess i could just forget about the tutorial, but i'd like to complete it before going in free play mode.

so... help !

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: tutorial campaign not triggering

Post by Loewchen »

What version of the game is this?
Post the save please.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

where you had too build radars to find a crash site
This sounds like 0.16 stable. The 0.16 tutorial campaign is not very easy to follow for new players -- unfortunately.
but in the lab window, there is no research to select
Well … the lab window is not where you select your research. You select your research in the technology window, which shows the technology tree: all the currently available techologies, and the ones that will be unlocked in the future. To open that window, press (default setting) the T key on the keyboard. Otherwise, there should be a small rectangle in the top right corner, telling you to select a research. You can also click on that rectangle to get to the technology window. You close that window with either the T key, or the E key -- I think.

it could just be me being retarded, but the game also tells me that i should build some factory to automatize the production of red science flasks, except it doesn't give me the blueprint to make this building. (i searched throughly, it's not there), i could still reclaim an other one that was making threadmills that i don't need right now, but i'm confident it's not what's expected.
In the technology tree, you can also see which effects the individual technologies have. The tutorial wants you to research Automation first (most people in freeplay do the same, in fact). It unlocks the assembling machines which can craft items for you automatically. You cannot craft assembling machines before researching Automation, that is why you don't have the recipe available.
i guess i could just forget about the tutorial, but i'd like to complete it before going in free play mode.
I highly recommend finishing the tutorial. It really helps, despite these kinds of issues.

By the way, if you are completely new to the game, you may want to upgrade to the 0.17 experimental version. It is incredibly stable, despite the name. Furthermore, it comes with an improved (easier to follow but not yet finalized) tutorial campaign, improved graphics, and rebalanced crafting recipes. And 0.17 will become the new stable version in just a couple of weeks or few months.

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

You are on version 0.16. I highly recommend that you update to 0.17. It is still an experimental version but it is stable enough, gets frequent updates and it is way better than your 0.16 version, including the tutorial mission. But the most fun part of the game is definitely the free play, keep that in mind.

If you are on steam: right click on the game -> properties -> beta -> latest experimental

lapantouflemagic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lapantouflemagic »

valneq wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:30 am
where you had too build radars to find a crash site
This sounds like 0.16 stable. The 0.16 tutorial campaign is not very easy to follow for new players -- unfortunately.
but in the lab window, there is no research to select
Well … the lab window is not where you select your research. You select your research in the technology window, which shows the technology tree: all the currently available techologies, and the ones that will be unlocked in the future. To open that window, press (default setting) the T key on the keyboard. Otherwise, there should be a small rectangle in the top right corner, telling you to select a research. You can also click on that rectangle to get to the technology window. You close that window with either the T key, or the E key -- I think.

In the technology tree, you can also see which effects the individual technologies have. The tutorial wants you to research Automation first (most people in freeplay do the same, in fact). It unlocks the assembling machines which can craft items for you automatically. You cannot craft assembling machines before researching Automation, that is why you don't have the recipe available.
I highly recommend finishing the tutorial. It really helps, despite these kinds of issues.

By the way, if you are completely new to the game, you may want to upgrade to the 0.17 experimental version. It is incredibly stable, despite the name. Furthermore, it comes with an improved (easier to follow but not yet finalized) tutorial campaign, improved graphics, and rebalanced crafting recipes. And 0.17 will become the new stable version in just a couple of weeks or few months.
hi again !
yes, i've been poking around a bit more and eventually realised that there was a research window i did not know of. so i could continue the campaign, problem solved !
but the real question is : did i just miss the prompt telling me to press T or is it just not present ? clearer instruction would probably be good, this is bound to happen to other people too.

Anyway, thanks for your answers, and also thanks for your advice, i'll try version 0.17 next time i play !

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”