[Rseding91] [0.17.50] Excessive amount of time to shutdown (increases with memory use)

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Rseding91] [0.17.50] Excessive amount of time to shutdown (increases with memory use)

Post by doktorstick »

Howdy.

I installed Rampant mod and set the levels to 10 and variations to 20. Using process explorer, I observed that once the game launched, it consumed near 20GB of RAM. I changed the settings to 10/10, which are startup option, so it had to relaunch the game. It took several minutes for the game to restart while it was presumably garbage collecting / freeing the in-use memory. I watched the process explorer memory use slowly walk down from the 20GB to around 2GB at which point it finally restarted.

With the current settings, it takes about 9GB of RAM. The shutdown time is about a minute now, which is still annoyingly excessive... for a shutdown. I get the penalty on startup; that's self-inflicted pain.

Thanks.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.50] Excessive amount of time to shutdown (increases with memory use)

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however I can't reproduce that. There is no "levels" setting in Rampant when I look at it and there are 3 variations settings which seem to have zero effect on startup time when I changed them all to 10.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Please follow the "How to report a bug" steps: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3638

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

Alright, it'll have to wait until this evening (CST), but here's a quick screenshot of the 20 GB settings. It's not "Levels" as I wrote; it's "Tiers". I realized that Bob's Enemies is also installed and added to the lists as well. I don't know if that would matter for this, though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0ete5lo7aspt ... s.png?dl=0
Last edited by doktorstick on Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

No combination of settings makes any measurable impact on RAM usage for me. Also your image doesn't show for me.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (150.9 KiB) Viewed 5364 times

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

I was able to pull this together during lunch. The attachments follow:

- The log file.

- The savegame, not because the save is needed to show the problem, but it will provide you with the ability to sync to my mods and settings. I'm assuming that the "sync settings" will do the proper thing--I always leave it checked but have never validated that it works.

- The Rampant settings (repost). It seems that Dropbox changed where I cannot inline images but instead have to send you to their site.

- A screenshot of Factorio's process information from Process Explorer. The fun numbers here are:
+ Private bytes: 17G
+ Peak Private bytes: 18G
+ Virtual Size: 22G
+ Total Time: 03 min 02 sec -- took the screenshot once the Factorio menu was shown; shutdown time feels the same (not measured though)
Attachments
rampant-memory-use.png
rampant-memory-use.png (63.18 KiB) Viewed 5349 times
rampant-settings.png
rampant-settings.png (302.76 KiB) Viewed 5349 times
memory-test.zip
For sycning mods and settings
(8.16 MiB) Downloaded 157 times
factorio-current.zip
Log file from the restart to the 10/20 Rampant settings
(105.18 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Rseding91] [0.17.50] Excessive amount of time to shutdown (increases with memory use)

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the save file - I was able to reproduce the problem and after several failed experiments managed to reduce the memory usage and time to exit by a large amount. So, it should be fixed for the next version of 0.17.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”